• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Simple. Call ahead and find out their hours first. Different hours at most barracks.

You and the seller(or buyer depending on which end of the deal you're on) go to MSP. LEAVE THE GUN IN THE TRUNK. Walk in and tell them what you're there for.

You and the other person will fill out some paperwork, then a trooper will walk out to the car and inspect the serial number on the gun to make sure it's correct on the paperwork. Pay them $10, usually check or money order only. No cash.

The seller waits to get the "Not Disapproved" paperwork in the mail then gives the buyer the gun.

I've bought two handguns from private sellers and transferred through MSP in Jessup, and both times the deals were great. MSP was polite and professional, and the paperwork was back within the quoted time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You and the buyer/seller head to your nearest MSP barracks with the regulated firearm.

Take your ID. Take a check for $10.00, since MSP cannot accept cash.

Leave the regulated firearm *secured* in your vehicle. . . DO NOT take it in with you. Write down the model, SN, state of manufacture and any other specific info you'll need on the 77R.

Tell MSP why you are there, and you will be given the necessary forms to fill out. You give them the completed forms, with the payment, and an officer will go out to your vehicle with you to inspect the firearm and verify the data you've entered on the form.

Go back in, the forms will be separated. You'll be given your copies and MSP will forward the other sections to "Licensing".

Licensing will mail the "disapproved/not-disapproved" forms directly to the seller, and, if "not-disapproved", the transfer may take place and the forms will be signed upon transfer and returned to Licensing.

If you have not received the forms back within 8 days, it is legal to make the transfer anyway, since this is the safeguard built into the law to protect the citizen from a lack of response by their government.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Does the transfer procedure work the same way if my father brings me an AR receiver from AZ to give to me as a gift (or is this even legal)?

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Will I get faster service if I enter and announce to all present "I have a gun!"?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Simple. Call ahead and find out their hours first. Different hours at most barracks.

You and the seller(or buyer depending on which end of the deal you're on) go to MSP. LEAVE THE GUN IN THE TRUNK. Walk in and tell them what you're there for.

You and the other person will fill out some paperwork, then a trooper will walk out to the car and inspect the serial number on the gun to make sure it's correct on the paperwork. Pay them $10, usually check or money order only. No cash.

The seller waits to get the "Not Disapproved" paperwork in the mail then gives the buyer the gun.

I've bought two handguns from private sellers and transferred through MSP in Jessup, and both times the deals were great. MSP was polite and professional, and the paperwork was back within the quoted time.

What if one drives a 5-door wagon that has no separate trunk? What is one to do? :cool:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Chaser, in order to better answer your question, I think we all need a larger image of your avatar. Strickly for your benefit though.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    What if one drives a 5-door wagon that has no separate trunk? What is one to do? :cool:

Keep it stored as you would according to the law any other time you transport it, I reckon.

Me personally I like to keep mine loaded on the dashboard with extra magazines strewn haphazardly throughout the car. :lol2:

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the fast replies!
    Due to the sellers privacy and both of our concerns. We are going to just split the transfer cost and go through an FFL. It will make it a smooth legal transaction.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks for all the fast replies!
    Due to the sellers privacy and both of our concerns. We are going to just split the transfer cost and go through an FFL. It will make it a smooth legal transaction.
    The FFL is just going to do the same thing (look at both of you guys, check the gun and your ID), then send the paperwork to the same place, for a fee on top of the fee . . .

Drmsparks . . .
    Will they do transfers on non restricted firearms?
    No, MSP does not do non-restricted firearms in any case, which are not required by law to go through MSP or an FFL anyway, if you're both MD residents and are otherwise qualified, etc..

If you feel the need for a papertrail, any FFL would do it on a 4473, for his customary transfer fee - VERY easy money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom