• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If... (federally) I were to take my Registered Lightning Link (RLL) and install it in a finished but unmarked poly 80% AR lower, then attach a 11.5" upper, is that legal... or would the lower need to be marked and registered in order to attach the short lower?

I am thinking that as long as the upper comes off before the RLL leaves the receiver that the configuration is legal as assembled, but does anyone know for sure?

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Can't help but good to see you post again,thought the island life might have consumed you.:D

Thanks... I am in CommieFornia for the moment and all my cool toys are in Texas. The only thing I was allowed to bring to CA was my Ferrari.... even my Mini-14 apparently is an assault weapon. Hopefully my next machine gun tax stamp comes through by Christmas.

Afdiesel

Mar 7, 2013
    Middletown
    As long as the short upper is only attached while the registered link is in the gun you're fine. You shouldn't even have to worry with constructive intent because of the fact that you own the registered lightning link.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I've always wondered this myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for RLL to fit correctly you have to mill out a similar space in the rear of the receiver, which is the same place that an auto-sear would be placed, however obviously without the auto-sear hole.

Does this now make the host receiver an inherent machinegun without the RLL installed?

If not, than could you potentially make this "well" in any AR-15 receiver?

I always thought the ATF frowned on this type of cut.

Afdiesel

Mar 7, 2013
    Middletown
    You can mill the lower to M16 specs with the exception of the auto sear hole. That one feature in and of itself makes it a machine gun. Most all run of the mill upper receivers are already clearanced to M16 spec for the sear trip.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I've always wondered this myself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for RLL to fit correctly you have to mill out a similar space in the rear of the receiver, which is the same place that an auto-sear would be placed, however obviously without the auto-sear hole.

Does this now make the host receiver an inherent machinegun without the RLL installed?

If not, than could you potentially make this "well" in any AR-15 receiver?

I always thought the ATF frowned on this type of cut.

Milling the receiver is ok, I believe the rub that you are thinking about relates to the use of M16 selective fire parts in the lower without the RLL. Having those in the a Lower with out the RLL is frowned upon.

As for the OP's original question it is only a single stamp for the RLL as it makes the lower a machine gun and that supersedes the SBR. The RLL has to be in the lower to make it legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom