• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack41

Oct 27, 2007
    Randallstown
    I know this might sound a little slow of me but i was wondering how to acquire an assult rifle in maryland with all the gun laws and what parameters would i have to follow

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    First off these "assault rifles" you wish to obtain are really just semi-automatic firearms, and should be referred to as such. It touches off a small nerve in enthusiasts when their precious black rifles are called "assault rifles".

I own one, and love it. My DPMS AP4.

When you go to purchase one, remember the same process you went through to buy a handgun applies. Only one weapon is excluded. The Colt HBAR sporter. If it's an M4, AK, CETME, FAL, or variant of the likes- it is a regulated weapon here in Maryland. Remember: keep you magazines to 20 rounds, the barrel to 16 inches (minimum), and fill out "pistol paperwork", and you'll be a-okay.

If you want a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches, one with a sound suppressor, or perhaps a fun switch, those are called Class III regulated weapons and that is another story...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    But you also have to be 21 for a regulated firearm.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Not regulated, but evil none the less

AR and mags.jpg

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Thats what I would do if i was your age, Get one of those HBAR...

but you "cant" tell your friends who are immature, thats what I did when I was younger. Just something that I did to protect myself and I dont even talk about that with my co-workers at all until they are at my house and they happend to see a safe.....

Im pretty sure they would figure it out :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not regulated, but evil none the less

LOL, not evil, but regulated nonetheless:
    AR15-FA-UL-01.jpg

Good point made by crolfe1 about the misnomer "assault weapon". A real assault weapon is a fully automatic rifle, which these AR-15s, etc. plainly are not. The anti-constitution, anti-civil rights folks like to muddy the waters by creating confusion between a semi-auto and a machine gun, to scare everyone into thinking heavily regulated machine guns are cash and carry items and some kind of immediate action is desperately required. They are not.

To buy a machine gun (a true M-16 or M-4, for example) requires intensive background checks, fingerprints, photographs and a "tax" payment of $200, plus the various expenses that getting these prints, pics and background checks entail. The whole (illegal (see your Constitution)) process can take months . . .

The guys suggesting buying an HBAR are giving good advice The HBAR is a non-regulated, semi-automatic cash and carry rifle that may be legally purchased and possessed by a 19yo with no legal impediments, and the6y are actually more practical in most circumstances than my pencil-barreled cat & rat rifle shown above.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    "Assault Weapon" now narrowed down to fully auto? I disagree. A fully auto AR 15 is only an M16. Anything semi auto or fully auto does not "assault" by any means. I think that the term "Assault Weapon" is blown way out of proportion. No object at all by itself cannot assualt, harm, or kill anything without the aid of a human. If a a guy takes a pencil and gives somebody lead poisoning or stabs an eye out is the pencil now an "Assault Weapon" or "Assault Pencil"? No, of course not. "Assault Weapon" is a Brady term or its used by somenody who doesnt know a whole lot about firearms.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Actually guys, this is where the term originated and I believe it to be the most accepted true meaning for an assault weapon. The anti gun nuts use this because the image of a military guy all battle ready and cutting loose with his assault rifle invokes fear in most people, imho. Ask around to people at work and ask them what they think an assault rifle is and see if you can keep from laughing as they explain it to you.

Assault weapon is derived from the term assault rifle, itself a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr, literally "storm-rifle", which is a particular class of intermediate-powered, fully-automatic light firearms like the AK-47 and M16. Assault Weapon then, is a broadening of the term assault rifle, applied to weapons which are not strictly rifles, such as pistols and shotguns. Legislators and political lobbyists have adopted the term to refer to specific semi-automatic firearms and other firearms listed by specific characteristics for statutory purposes. The legislative usage follows usage by political groups seeking to limit the individual's right to keep and bear arms, who have sought to extend the meaning to include a semi-automatic firearm that is similar in name or appearance to a fully automatic firearm or military weapon. Note that this term is not synonymous with assault rifle, which has an established technical definition. Advocates for the right to keep and bear arms, commonly referred to as gun rights supporters, generally consider these uses of the phrase assault weapon to be pejorative and politically-motivated when used to describe civilian firearms. This term is seldom used outside of the United States in this context.

Military Characteristics

An assault weapon is any weapon used primarily to aid in assault operations in military parlance - for the most part no other specific characteristics define the weapon. If referring to small arms, the military characteristics of an assault weapon are that it is capable of automatic fire and is lightweight. The original development of such small arms by the military was to retain capabilities of the machine gun while moving to a lighter platform usable in fast paced assault operations. (See Heckler & Koch HK CAWS and Sturmgewehr 44.) clipped from wiki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom