• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Just wanted to see if I was doing this right...

I'm applying for the HQL through the state police website. I'm exempted from the training component because I already own a handgun. Is the only thing I have to submit to prove that fact the serial number and basic stats for the handgun? I don't need to upload a copy of the paperwork with all that info on it?

Just wanted to make sure before I drop a non-refundable $50

Correct. Fill out the training-exempt form. Enter the handgun info, assuming you owned it prior to 10/1/13. No need to upload any paperwork.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Note that the law doesn't say anything about owning a handgun prior to 10/1/13. It says "legally owned regulated firearm". If you own it legally, and it's regulated under Maryland law, it should count no matter when you bought it. (A small loophole, to be sure, but it can be an important nuance.)

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    COMAR does. For indirect reference: https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

"Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License."

Don't be that guy.

But it doesn't say that owning pre-10/1/13 is the only way. "If" and "only if" are very different beasts. You could have moved to MD with handguns purchased in your previous home state after 10/1/13 (but not banned, evil, black rifles). Also, C&R handguns are specifically HQL exempt but are still within the definition of "regulated firearm". You could buy a C&R handgun today with no HQL and next week use it for exemption from training.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    But it doesn't say that owning pre-10/1/13 is the only way. "If" and "only if" are very different beasts. You could have moved to MD with handguns purchased in your previous home state after 10/1/13 (but not banned, evil, black rifles). Also, C&R handguns are specifically HQL exempt but are still within the definition of "regulated firearm". You could buy a C&R handgun today with no HQL and next week use it for exemption from training.

Go for it then. Get you *ss nailed to the wall. Nobody here will sympathize.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Go for it then. Get you *ss nailed to the wall. Nobody here will sympathize.

I already have my HQL, or else I absolutely would. In any case, I doubt very seriously that an unlikely failure in the attempt to use a post-10/1/13 C&R handgun would cause any body part to be nailed to anything. But you can believe what you like as readily as I can.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I already have my HQL, or else I absolutely would. In any case, I doubt very seriously that an unlikely failure in the attempt to use a post-10/1/13 C&R handgun would cause any body part to be nailed to anything. But you can believe what you like as readily as I can.

So why give out foolish advice to others reading this? To sound cool on the interwebz?

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    So why give out foolish advice to others reading this? To sound cool on the interwebz?

Because as nearly as I can tell, it is true and correct. And if I can save someone some hassle from MD stupidity, that's a good thing in my book.

If someone can produce evidence that actually shows I'm wrong, I'll stop. But your COMAR extract doesn't say that you can't, it just illustrates one particular way you can be exempt.

Jerm5784

Jan 8, 2015
    I applied dec 29th. All but juvenile is complete. Still waiting on juvenile to be looked into. Apparently I have a misdemeanor on my record.

sigsig

Sep 18, 2014
    Applied for my Hql on 12/19/2014 and was approved 1/8/2015. Just waiting for my Hql card to arrive in the mail.

Dec 21, 2014
    HQL submitted 12/28, marked "active" on the site on 1/9. As of 1/14 nothing HQL-related in the mail but no worries yet.

But I did get my Designated Collector letter on 1/13. Pretty psyched about that since it means I can start my 7 day clock in a few days for both of my Christmas gifts. Nice little M&P-22c for fun and the (eventual) carry-able Glock 19, gen 3.

I also noticed the value of the paper increased significantly the day after it arrived since it listed Marcus L. Brown as the Maryland State Police Superintendent. I am eagerly awaiting to hear who Larry Hogan will appoint to replace him. Could be good for everyone!!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    18 days from start to finish. I started 12/28 and with the Holidays I thought I'd hit the max of 30 days. I've officially "licked" the boots of Martin, MF'er, Owe Malley. Good riddance douche-breath and don't let the door hit you where your head has been for the last 8 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom