• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I applied for hql and my carry permit on the 7th of October was confirmed that they received payment just wondering if the hql will come in the mail or will it just be email anxiously waiting have a pistol picked out HK vp9 sk have never had a semi-auto always have had revolvers anxious to get so I can get myself familiar with a semi-automatic

Hql.. they just send you an email that it's been approved and send you a copy of the letter (PDF)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    OK what happens if you apply for HQL exempt before your W&C is approved? Is it just in limbo until your W&C is approved?
    Doubt they will approved.. they require permit number.. if you don't supply the number.. doubt you can submit it.

johnboy

Oct 18, 2022
    Flintstone md
    Hql.. they just send you an email that it's been approved and send you a copy of the letter (PDF)

Good I can quit checking the mailbox every day thanks again for the information

Attachments

• 20210620_081430.jpg
      20210620_081430.jpg
      265.2 KB · Views: 46
    • 20220930_112845.jpg
      20220930_112845.jpg
      276 KB · Views: 49

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    OK what happens if you apply for HQL exempt before your W&C is approved? Is it just in limbo until your W&C is approved?
    Nothing, it will be an incomplete application. It will ask for a HGP # and you can't provide one.

johnboy

Oct 18, 2022
    Flintstone md
    Someone who "heard from a friend who heard from a friend ... " or someone whose instructor misinformed them or someone who couldn't pay attention in class
    Like I said before new to this site never knew what everyone was referring to the Baldwin sisters now I think I'm starting to understand I think I might watch the show tonight Baldwin sisters are everywhere not meaning you but God there is a lot of Baldwin sisters and brothers on here

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Who would apply for hql exempt without hgp in hand

More people than you would think , and not only because they're illogical . ( If I'm correctly interpreting " Exempt " in this context ) .

Person is is Training Exempt for HQL , but doesn't currently own a handgun/ handgun they consider relevant for Carry per their training , experience, inclinations , media following , or belief systems . They look at spending $100-125 to be able to have an extra 2-5 months of practice and training with their handgun / carry specific handgun .

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    If one goes to, say, Maryland Small Arms Range, and wants to rent a handgun, do they need an HQL?

I thought they did not, but that is what it says on the PDF of the HQL (that took about 5 hours from application to approval).

Your Handgun Qualification License is valid for ten years and is required to be presented anytime you intend to purchase, rent or receive a handgun in Maryland.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    If one goes to, say, Maryland Small Arms Range, and wants to rent a handgun, do they need an HQL?

I thought they did not, but that is what it says on the PDF of the HQL (that took about 5 hours from application to approval).

Your Handgun Qualification License is valid for ten years and is required to be presented anytime you intend to purchase, rent or receive a handgun in Maryland.

§5–101 (s) “Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

So as long as you stay on the property, you are not "rent"ing the firearm. It suggests though that borrowing from a friend while at the range is a problem since the borrowed gun is not on the property of the owner.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the AG opinion. According to this even letting another person shoot your gun seems ok as long as the firearm does not leave the premises. I seem to recall renting being something like an “in kind” exchange for the use of the firearm off site

But make up your own mind View attachment AG Letter to Del Afzal no hql.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

State law defines rent, as being taken off property, renting a firearm at a range to use at the range does not require an HQL per state statute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom