• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Yes, I know that the HQL expires 10 years after it is given. What I was trying to understand is how many months before that 10 year expiry date can one expect to receive the renewal notice. I hope someone can provide me with an answer to that question. TIA.

Cal68

My HQL expiration was mid October 2023.
    Received email notice on 8/28/2023. Email Subject: HQL Renewal Notice
    Completed app and paid on 8/28/2023.
    Received email my HQL was renewed on 9/14/2023. Email subject: HQL License Letter. There is an attached .pdf.
    New expiration is Mid October 2033

Email renewal notice included this note:
    To renew your HQL, please go to: emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/ and submit your application for renewal.

Your HQL Renewal application must be submitted at least 14 days prior to expiration of your current license for there to be no lapse in licensure. The fee for HQL Renewal is: $ 20.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    As a tip, put all of your permit and other certificate/license expirations on your smartphone calendar and get notified at whatever lead time you choose. That way you don’t need to rely on the issuing agency, mail, or email service provider.

I usually put them on calendar with a slightly greater lead time than what the agency states, to be safe.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just checked. I am at 9 days. Never received a renewal notice. I check my spam filter religiously.

* IF * you get a renewal notice , expect it about 90 days our .

But renewal notices are just a courtesy, and the bottom line responsibility is on you to stay current .

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My HQL expiration was mid October 2023.
    Received email notice on 8/28/2023. Email Subject: HQL Renewal Notice
    Completed app and paid on 8/28/2023.
    Received email my HQL was renewed on 9/14/2023. Email subject: HQL License Letter. There is an attached .pdf.
    New expiration is Mid October 2033

Email renewal notice included this note:
    To renew your HQL, please go to: emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/ and submit your application for renewal.

Your HQL Renewal application must be submitted at least 14 days prior to expiration of your current license for there to be no lapse in licensure. The fee for HQL Renewal is: $ 20.
    Many thanks to all of you for your response to my question. I will start looking out for the renewal notice about 90 prior to expiration of my HQL. But of course I will stay on top of it by myself anyway.

Cal68

melbill2

Feb 24, 2009
    Ellicott City
    Me: 2/22/2024 Renewal completed with email confirmation of payment received. I had to change my email address because my wife and I had the same email associated with our original HQL's. Still waiting.
    Wife 2/24/2024 Renewal completed with email confirmation of payment received. She did not have to change her email address. Received her renewal letter on 2/26/2024.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Me: 2/22/2024 Renewal completed with email confirmation of payment received. I had to change my email address because my wife and I had the same email associated with our original HQL's. Still waiting.
    Wife 2/24/2024 Renewal completed with email confirmation of payment received. She did not have to change her email address. Received her renewal letter on 2/26/2024.
    Can you clarify? Did she receive paper or email renewal?

melbill2

Feb 24, 2009
    Ellicott City
    No paper. Email with letter in pdf format.

Dear "Wife".

The Maryland State Police Licensing Division has reviewed and APPROVED your application for a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). The attached correspondence serves as your Handgun Qualification License.

If you have any questions or if you received this email in error, please contact the Maryland State Police Licensing Division at msp.hql@maryland.gov or by telephone at 410-653-4500.

Thank you.

Pdf letter here

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If you had your HQL before getting your carry permit, let it expire. Then apply for a new HQL using the permit exemption and get it free. Why give them $20?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you had your HQL before getting your carry permit, let it expire. Then apply for a new HQL using the permit exemption and get it free. Why give them $20?
    I'm hoping we get a final ruling before mine expires and I won't have to worry about this unconstitutional infringement

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Tried this on my renewal of carry permit. Nope - they still got their $20.00. Licensing trooper said this only works once and renewal is 20.00

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I am glad this thread popped up

My Hql expires on the 24th

I renewed it back in January. I got a paid receipt. I never received my Hql email so in mid February I emailed the MSP and them almost immediately responded by email saying basically “ hey dumb ass, we have over a month until your shyte expires and we can’t estimate when you will be approved”.

So I hadn’t thought about it for a couple weeks and I still haven’t received my Hql email.

So I am gonna email them again and see what’s up.

Thanks

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    I am glad this thread popped up

My Hql expires on the 24th

I renewed it back in January. I got a paid receipt. I never received my Hql email so in mid February I emailed the MSP and them almost immediately responded by email saying basically “ hey dumb ass, we have over a month until your shyte expires and we can’t estimate when you will be approved”.

So I hadn’t thought about it for a couple weeks and I still haven’t received my Hql email.

So I am gonna email them again and see what’s up.

Thanks
    Me neither - mine goes 4/2024 - maybe it'll be ruled in our favor. Can I Puleeze get a refund??

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Tried this on my renewal of carry permit. Nope - they still got their $20.00. Licensing trooper said this only works once and renewal is 20.00
    It only works one time. If your original HQL was free because of your carry permit then yes, you have to pay the $20. Renewals are $20, the law makes no differentiation. However if you did not get your 1st HQL free due to a carry permit, it DOES work and the new one (not a renewal) is free.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    It only works one time. If your original HQL was free because of your carry permit then yes, you have to pay the $20. Renewals are $20, the law makes no differentiation. However if you did not get your 1st HQL free due to a carry permit, it DOES work and the new one (not a renewal) is free.
    That is good to know. First was 2013 (yeah, I'm one) that I paid for, then the wcp.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Me neither - mine goes 4/2024 - maybe it'll be ruled in our favor. Can I Puleeze get a refund??

Refund? The state of md doesn’t know what that means lol

At least I am not alone in this

I was worrying that I did something wrong

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The MDSP. Responded and apparently I am in a second review and they can not inform me when I may be approved BUT my Hql is still good until the 24th

wtf kinda bs is this lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom