• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I found one up at Redding's Hardware in Gettysburg, a gun store if there ever was one.

It appears to be in overall good shape, no pitting, no rust, bore looks good, (as much as I can tell) And it looks like the cosmoline has already been cleaned out.

I paid $120 for it, which I think is a fair price.

Unfortunately, they had no milsurp ammo, so I paid $22 for a 20 round box of Prvi, but at least I have something.

I plan on shooting it tomorrow at Cresap.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Welcome to the Nagant Family

but

Attachments

• Gunny Guns.jpg
      Gunny Guns.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 298

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What did you get? 91/30, M44, M38 etc.?

MN's do have a tendency to multiply. You ought to start your C&R process. Then you can have them delivered to your door. :innocent0

With any firearm I suggest you disassemble it, clean it and check it out thoroughly before you fire it. There are many websites that cover the details. Here's one:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/disassemble/hs.asp

One box of Prvi is just enough to make you want more ammo. There's still milsurp around that's a lot less than $1+ per round. Please don't toss those Prvi cases tho...they're reloadable. :)

Congrats and enjoy your first Mosin.
    :D

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    OK a few more details.

I have a matching numbers gun, (there are only 3 to match, right?)
    It's a 1943 manufacture date from the Tula arsenal, I think it's a 91/30.
    It looks like it's been counter-bored, but I'd need to get another next to it to make sure.

I know about the milsurp ammo, which I'll get, but I wanted to just get something in my hand.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    So it looks like a 91/30 and on the surface looks to be in good shape. You can definately bruise your shoulder and loosten plaque on your teeth with it. :party29:

Matching numbers are always a plus. At some point in it's past, somebody matched it's specific parts together. But, depending on what the rifle has been through since....??? For collectability value, matching numbers on anything are good. For milsurp shooters, matching numbers on the bolt and receiver mean more to me than numbers on butt plates, mags and bayo's.' I'd still disassemble it, clean the bolt, and check the firing pin protusion before shooting it.

Be prepared to have some fun. Your gonna like shooting a MN.
    :)

Last edited:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I'd still disassemble it, clean the bolt, and check the firing pin protusion before shooting it.

Good call on checking the firing pin protrusion. 2aforever helped me with that, I thought I was good but was a bit off. It only takes a minute if you have the gauge, if not you should definitely buy one. Amazing how servicable and reliable those rifles are.

Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    I've got no gauge...so I'll need to borrow or buy to check it.

Looking much closer into the receiver with a light, I can see some small traces of cosmoline. However, I'm thinking that the PO probably had fired it.

So if I'm going to shoot it tomorrow, maybe I'll just tie a string to the trigger.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've never fired an unknown milsurp rifle for the very first time without doing so on a bench at arms length. But that's my habit. Never had one blow up in my face either which is good.

The MN firing pin gauges are cheap and easy to find/borrow. They're often included with C&R rifles that come with the ammo pouches etc. If a MN has been cleaned and fired before you get it in your hands and you don't disassemble and reassemble the bolt, the firing pin is likely OK for a test fire (providing everything else checks out). If it was mine...I'd check it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom