• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    OK, so my original stance was I would not submit to the powers of the idiots in Annapolis but I have been pining for a pair of Ruger Vaquero Birds head single actions in 45lc. I can't sleep, I can't eat it's just terrible. I would however like the ability to shoot one before I buy. Is there anyone on the shore that would be will to help me out? What is everyone opinion of the birds head Vs the standard grip?
    Save me from myself.....
    IMG_0850_zpsf3ad44ec.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I loved the bird's head models until I actually handled a few side-by-side with standard grip models. IMO, the bird's head grip is for looking at, the standard grip is for shooting. I always defer to the latter. I also used to think the Vaquero was the shiznit until I handled one side-by-side with a few Blackhawks. Even with my medium-sized hands, large-frame Blackhawks are a perfect fit and the Vaquero feels like a kid's gun in comparison. Years later, except for my blued Single Six with fixed sights, all of my Ruger SA revolvers are Blackhawks. By far my favorite is my 6.5" stainless .357/9mm Blackhawk.

The blued Blackhawk in your photo is the one I would buy. It's stunning to my eyes.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I loved the bird's head models until I actually handled a few side-by-side with standard grip models. IMO, the bird's head grip is for looking at, the standard grip is for shooting. I always defer to the latter. I also used to think the Vaquero was the shiznit until I handled one side-by-side with a few Blackhawks. Even with my medium-sized hands, large-frame Blackhawks are a perfect fit and the Vaquero feels like a kid's gun in comparison. Years later, except for my blued Single Six with fixed sights, all of my Ruger SA revolvers are Blackhawks. By far my favorite is my 6.5" stainless .357/9mm Blackhawk.

The blued Blackhawk in your photo is the one I would buy. It's stunning to my eyes.

The older Vaqueros were made with the bigger Blackhawk frames. I miss my stag gripped 5.5" Vaquero and my 3.5" Sheriff's model. Oh well.

Next thing you know, you'll want a Vaquero with a Bisley Grip, (although Im not a fan of the white grips....)

5130.jpg

That's racist.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have a New Vaquero with the standard grip and my brother has a blackhawk. I like the idea of the high power loads in the blackhawk but I have a 44 for that. I like the small grip on the V so I think I might like a birds head. I just really wish I could try one before buying....

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I tried to buy a set of birdshead grip Rugers before the door closed.......sadly didnt make it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    How big are your hands? You really need to try one in person. My wife is five feet tall with tiny hands and the V bird's head grip is more a match for her hands than mine.

Besides handling really hot loads, owners tend to praise Blackhawks for great accuracy thanks to the the adjustable sights. With ease, I off-hand shoot a pattern smaller than a half dollar at 25 feet out of my 6.5" Blackhawk. I'm hardly a crack shot with it. As infrequently as I shoot it, me pulling that off says volumes about what a talented shooter can achieve.

I came close to buying Bisley V's plenty of times. They never felt quite right to me. Balance was a bit off. The standard grip always felt just right. YMMV of course.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I've been going a little crazy with Blackhawks. Last year I got a Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt and right before Oct. 1, a special order flat top Blackhawk, also in .45 Colt. Last week I picked up my first HQL purchase, a Blackhawk in .357 Mag. They are just great to shoot. I am looking forward to warmer weather.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I feel an HQL coming on.....sigh
    dont worry, its like gas, soon it will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom