• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    Am I the only guy here that likes Colts? :)
    colts3003.jpg

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I like 'em just fine.....just can't afford them.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I've got a Colt XSE that I love. Well except for the fact that I wouldn't leave well enough alone and my gunsmith totally hacked up the job of putting a set of Novak sights on it. He cut the dovetail wrong and it looks like crap. The slide is back at his shop to be welded up and have the dovetail recut. It's will be an awesome gun if he doesn't screw it up again. :o

A lot of folks think the Colts are way out their price range, since a lot of the gun stores gouge for them, if you can find a new one on the shelf at all. If you shop around on the net you can find a new 1991 NRM Colt for $650-$700. Not too bad for guns that seem to have a better rep for running right out of the box than a couple of those other 1911 manufacturers guns which need a "break in period". Funny how the original GI 1911s made by Colt and others never needed a "break in". They shot right out of the box, as well they should.

It's only been in recent years the 1911 has gotten a bad rap for being finicky or needing smithing to get them to run. Bad manufacturing, corner cutting, and greed has given a sound and completely reliable gun an undeserved reputation.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I've got a Colt XSE that I love. Well except for the fact that I wouldn't leave well enough alone and my gunsmith totally hacked up the job of putting a set of Novak sights on it. He cut the dovetail wrong and it looks like crap. The slide is back at his shop to be welded up and have the dovetail recut. It's will be an awesome gun if he doesn't screw it up again.

That sucks beyond words. Was it a local gunsmith?

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    That sucks beyond words. Was it a local gunsmith?

No, not a local guy. This guy is on the west coast and in any conversation about 1911 pistols he is considered one of the "legends". He is up there in years. Maybe he is just getting old, or is shop equipment is tired and ready for the junkyard. Possibly he just had an off day. I don't know. All I know is, the gun is gorgeous that he built except for this one glaring fault that even a blind man wouldn't have let out of his shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom