• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'm looking at getting a quality weapon light to be used on a Colt 6920 with Knight's RAS rail system. To get a good light, am I really stuck having to pay $350 for a Surefire, then suffer the indignity of having to pony up another 80 bucks for their picatinny rail switch? Seriously? $400+ for a small flashlight and a switch?

I don't want cheap Chinese junk, and if I have to spend the $400 I will. At the same time, I'd rather not get taken to the cleaners if there is another quality alternative that is more affordable.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If it lights up use it. If you want it I survive hell and light up during and after get a Surefire. I was given one as a gift that was Army issue around 2008. Thing is a TANK.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    My Surefire is one of if not the first model and was issued in the late 90's and still going strong. I recently upgraded it to LED and added an extension tube so I can use a third battery for longer life. While I was at it I upgraded a 3D cell maglight to LED and the output is amazing compared to the incadescent.
    I got the parts from Lighthound and highly recommend them. The service was fast and he's got a good reputation on the flashlight forum (Yep, it's true. There are folks out there who are as engaged with flashlights as we are with firearms.)
    They sell lights and parts to build your own and the prices are much better than Surefire. Worth a look IMHO.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I have a tacstar T6 on my shotgun and went through 200 shells on the range. Light is good - cost about $40 at Midway.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Look into the Streamlight TL-2 lights. Aluminum body, incandescent or LED, push button tail switch, and bright as hell on 2 cr123 batts.
    I have it on the rt side rail and my fore grip is positioned under and behind the light so that I can operate the push button with my left thumb.

Best part, you can find them for $50 all over the interwebs and about $65 or so for the LED models.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    If you order from Larue they have an offset mount that lets the light ride tight between the rails... I just recently put this on my 6940 and love it. Its a little cheaper than buying them separate. Highly recommended...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    250px-Lightsaber_blue.png

its a light and a weapon.. ;)

i have streamlight for my hg which i can put on the rails on the ar's if i wanted to.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am not a fan of the grip switches. I feel like you could accidentally engage the light at an inopportune time. I prefer putting the light at the 9 o'clock position and turning it on with my thumb or index finger.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Pistol type lights suck for Rifles and Carbines in my experience so no Insight, Stramlight, or SUrefire Pistol Lights. The operation of the tabs are NOT natural and easy to manipulate under stress.

Get a Surefire Dedicated Rifle Light, Surefire G2 with Offset Mount, P.A. Surefire Clone (These are Chinese), Elzetta with Offset Mount, or my favorite.....The ENFORCE Weapons Light.

Aug 10, 2011
    Maryland....
    Personally I have a Fenix TK12 with an Offset attached with the light at the 4 o'clock position with a thumb switch. I have used it for range shooting and combat shooting. It's taken a beating and haven't had an issue with it.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Surefire G2, M79 mount and off brand pressure pad for $120. Next light I'll purchase is what Chad started a thread on...it looks great and is affordable.

Check Dave MPs post up top.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Another vote, surefire g2x, 200 lumen, uses cr123's, vltor makes a nice mount. Total maybe 100bux. You can go cheaper if need be on the mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom