• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    Easton PD issues the Beretta Storm. Sounds like someone needs to go back to school and start all over on the safe weapon handling part. Unfortunately it with the good leo's there are some bad ones

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Cops suck.

:lol:

anyone there when the baltimore city cop at hap baker swept the rifle range with his subgun and got kicked out? As a group of people police are some of the most courteous and upstanding citizens. if the population doesn't want jaded police we've got to do a better job of bringing them into our communities to make sure they feel like a part of them. the great divide of "us vs. them" isn't helping either side. militarization is another story...i'm thinkin when bad stuff goes on people get upset and want the police to take care of it for them, then when police get the tools to take care of it for them they get angry for the police becomming militarized. guess it's those things where we work together or we don't. apologies for the tangents, but wanted to say in a roundabout way don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    I walked into a shop recently, I won't say which one, but as I'm coming in the door there is this moron standing there casually holding a 38 revolver, finger on trigger, my first thought, "oh shit this guys robbing the joint!" But no, he was sort of waving it around, tapping it, fondling it, tapping against his face like one would tap a no-2 pencil against their face while taking a test. He did this for a good half hour.

I was even more amazed that the owner wasn't the least bit concerned with this guys lack of concern or knowledge.

I should have said something, or better yet I should have left the shop, but, I-uh, really wanted to look at some guns...

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Why was he apparently a cop? Do you know or are you just guessing? Just askin......

I assumed he was a cop and not a CCW holder because he referred to his holster as a "duty holster."

"You mean I can't even use my duty holster on the range?"

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Most cops are normal people. Meaning, most cops are not "gun" people.

At least one other MD Shooter heard the story this past weekend at Hap about the cop at another range who couldn't hit the full sized silhouette or clear his weapon. The wife had a cop look at a HiPoint and ask what it was. Too many cops practice just before they have to qualify. The weapon is just another tool like their tazer or mace. One they don't want to use, which is completely understandable.

Then you have other cops who know their firearms and know how to use their firearms. I think most of those cops would advocate more training and tighter qualifying requirements for all police....hell, they'd enjoy it lol.

Splitter

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Well said! :thumbsup:

:lol:

anyone there when the baltimore city cop at hap baker swept the rifle range with his subgun and got kicked out? As a group of people police are some of the most courteous and upstanding citizens. if the population doesn't want jaded police we've got to do a better job of bringing them into our communities to make sure they feel like a part of them. the great divide of "us vs. them" isn't helping either side. militarization is another story...i'm thinkin when bad stuff goes on people get upset and want the police to take care of it for them, then when police get the tools to take care of it for them they get angry for the police becomming militarized. guess it's those things where we work together or we don't. apologies for the tangents, but wanted to say in a roundabout way don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Most cops are normal people. Meaning, most cops are not "gun" people.

At least one other MD Shooter heard the story this past weekend at Hap about the cop at another range who couldn't hit the full sized silhouette or clear his weapon. The wife had a cop look at a HiPoint and ask what it was. Too many cops practice just before they have to qualify. The weapon is just another tool like their tazer or mace. One they don't want to use, which is completely understandable.

Then you have other cops who know their firearms and know how to use their firearms. I think most of those cops would advocate more training and tighter qualifying requirements for all police....hell, they'd enjoy it lol.

Splitter

Oh, totally understood.

NOBODY mistake the intent of this thread. It's not a cop-bashing thread...lol. I have nothing but respect and appreciation for our law enforcement. In fact, once I finish school I plan on being a cop. This thread would still have been here even if he wasn't a cop. I just thought it was especially interesting because he WAS a cop, and therefore has more training than MOST gun owners.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I know...next time get his name :). Report him to his superiors for unsafe gun handling. Seriously. There is no room in the gun community for idiocy.

Everyone makes mistkes, sh!t happens. But he violetad a few rules there.

BTW, I cannot do the rack and catch thing. I did catch a spent casing once from the lane next to me....bad idea :).

Splitter

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I assumed he was a cop and not a CCW holder because he referred to his holster as a "duty holster."

"You mean I can't even use my duty holster on the range?"

I understand but sounds wrong to me. Duty holsters are large security holsters designed to fit on a 2.25" Sam Brown belt, and won't even fit inside a waistline, let alone be used for concealed carry. Sounds like a mall ninja to me.

Maybe he's related to those guys who work at that "other" range who "clear rooms with their SIGs." :rolleyes:;):lol2:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Cop or not, this guy sounded like a clown...

There are cops that seriously have little business having a firearm (yet are quite good at their jobs in general.) There are also cops who are great with firearms (who are horrible at their job.) Finally we have the cops that are good with both and bad with both. Cops are like anyone else, they range in ability, some good, some not so good.

This incident reminded me of that DEA officer who said, "I'm the only one in this room professionally enough to handle a glock .40, ummm, damn, is that a hole in my foot... quick, call plexico, he'll know what to do."

Mark

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I understand but sounds wrong to me. Duty holsters are large security holsters designed to fit on a 2.25" Sam Brown belt, and won't even fit inside a waistline, let alone be used for concealed carry. Sounds like a mall ninja to me.

Maybe he's related to those guys who work at that "other" range who "clear rooms with their SIGs." :rolleyes:;):lol2:

It wasn't a holster FOR concealed carry. I wasn't clear in my original post, sorry. It was only concealed because he pulled a sweatshirt over it. It was a black leather owb holster and it had a retention strap. Possibly a safariland? I dunno.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    to be honest ... yes he was more than likely an officer .. how do I know ..well it has happened to me there an 99% of the time thats who it is ..

the sign is for those who are bringing in guns to shoot ... if you are allowed ot carry an firearm in this state we do not stop you from having it .. Do wel ike to know ..Yes ... for our safety an so we know who is who . BUt you cannot bring a loaded gun into shoot .. thems the rules .. doesnt matter if you are a cop or not ..

I did clarify this not long ago ...

and I have asked a few officers to leave since I have been working for for that reason meaning loaded firearm an clearing it at the check in table .. where I myself have been flagged while weapon was cleared .. then I got the attitude when i said you are not shooting today ..

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Bill,

Thanks for clearing that up. I honestly thought the sign for no loaded guns period, including CCW holders.

Bryan Fletcher

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Why would a cop not know whether or not his gun was loaded?

There are all sorts of guys walking around carrying guns in duty holsters who are not cops. There are numerous agencies, companies etc who have armed uniformed as well as plain clothes employees. There are all sorts of wannabees who talk the talk. The point is, don't assume it was a cop. Could have been, but that not knowing if the gun was loaded stuff fills me with doubt. Now, that is not to say that cops are generally gun people, for they are not and I have seen my share of dumb moves by cops and experienced shooters of all types. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory.

My questions to the OP is what did you do about it? It is the obligation of every gun owner to speak up when someone isn't being safe. Stop them in the act, politely mention the action they are performing to be unsafe and move on. If you did this, great. If you did nothing, your inaction is as bad as his action. The accident you can prevent or the life you might save could be your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom