• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I jumped on the second run at the IHC Garands when I got the email from CMP last week. I picked the Field Grade with the LMR barrel, instead of the Service Grade with a random barrel. I figured I could deal with a less than perfect receiver and guts and get a nice barrel.

Well, CMP wasn't messing around, and I ended up getting the FedEx notice on Tuesday and the rifle in yesterday. Here are the pics:

007a.jpg

(obligatory toes)

008s2.jpg

012a1.jpg

From left to right - SA Service Grade, HRA Service Grade, and the IHC Field Grade

The receiver, barrel, and charging handle have wear but a nice patina. The numbers on the barrel were TE 2+, MW 1+, so i wasn't disappointed there. The front sight and cover are a bit loose, and it looks like I may have to replace the rear spring cover, but that's no big deal. The bolt is also IHC, but the rest of the parts that I've seen are SA.

Another thing I discovered when bringing out my other M1's for the photo shoot was how lucky I got with my Service Grade HRA that I ordered a few years back. It also came with an LMR barrel with TE 1+ and MW 0+ and is super nice. I now just have to find time to take it shooting.

Anyway, overall I'm happy. It was a bit pricey but they're not making them anymore.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Holy shit, that is an IHC stock. That's $500 right there.
    How can you tell? Please enlighten me. You've seen my thread. Just trying to learn. Someone told me I am getting a birch stock only made in the 60's. Is that good? Or not? Congrats on op's rifle. Mine gets shipped tomorrow. I am sooo excited!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    How can you tell? Please enlighten me. You've seen my thread. Just trying to learn. Someone told me I am getting a birch stock only made in the 60's. Is that good? Or not? Congrats on op's rifle. Mine gets shipped tomorrow. I am sooo excited!

See that dark spot right in front of the buttplate? IHC (or Overton rather?) accidentally made a lot of stocks undersized, usually around the buttplate area. As a result, they had severe buttplate overhang. To correct that, they spliced on pieces of wood.

Also, you can take it apart and look in the op rod channel. I believe IHC stocks were all made by Overton, so they have the date of manufacture stamped in the op rod channel.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    See that dark spot right in front of the buttplate? IHC (or Overton rather?) accidentally made a lot of stocks undersized, usually around the buttplate area. As a result, they had severe buttplate overhang. To correct that, they spliced on pieces of wood.

Also, you can take it apart and look in the op rod channel. I believe IHC stocks were all made by Overton, so they have the date of manufacture stamped in the op rod channel.
    Cool! Thanks. I'm study/cramming for ownership on YouTube and everywhere else, in preparation.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The receiver, barrel, and charging handle have wear but a nice patina. The numbers on the barrel were TE 2+, MW 1+, so i wasn't disappointed there. The front sight and cover are a bit loose, and it looks like I may have to replace the rear spring cover, but that's no big deal. The bolt is also IHC, but the rest of the parts that I've seen are SA.

If you have a muzzle gauge (CMP sells them), you might be surprised by your reading. The tag that came with IHC showed a ME of 2+, but it gauges at 1.5.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I guess you were on the IHC back order list and you got an email offering alternatives?

I was on the back order list, so it was not a general email. Here's a copy
    Dear CMP Customer,

As you may know, the IHCSLMR Service grade rifle you requested is currently on backorder, currently it is not looking good with being able to fill your order with this particular rifle.

There is a very limited quantity of RM1IHCS Service grade $925 and RM1IHCFLMR Field grade with LMR barrel $925 rifles that we have accumulated. We are working the oldest orders first and are now contacting a few customers to offer the option to change the order to one of these items. Please let us know if you would like to change your order to one of the above mentioned rifles.

We will need your reply to make the change no later than August 29, so we are able to fill as many orders as possible. If we do not hear from you by the requested date, we will keep your order on backorder for the RM1IHCSLMR Service grade rifle.

Definie Scott
    CMP Sales Order Processing
    256-835-8455 ext 1144
    dscott@thecmp.org

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Im on backorder for the same rifle.No email yet but I bet its coming. :(

I was on the back order list, so it was not a general email. Here's a copy
    Dear CMP Customer,

As you may know, the IHCSLMR Service grade rifle you requested is currently on backorder, currently it is not looking good with being able to fill your order with this particular rifle.

There is a very limited quantity of RM1IHCS Service grade $925 and RM1IHCFLMR Field grade with LMR barrel $925 rifles that we have accumulated. We are working the oldest orders first and are now contacting a few customers to offer the option to change the order to one of these items. Please let us know if you would like to change your order to one of the above mentioned rifles.

We will need your reply to make the change no later than August 29, so we are able to fill as many orders as possible. If we do not hear from you by the requested date, we will keep your order on backorder for the RM1IHCSLMR Service grade rifle.

Definie Scott
    CMP Sales Order Processing
    256-835-8455 ext 1144
    dscott@thecmp.org

Last edited:

4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    Well Finally got my 1st M1 Garand for CMP and it was way nicer than I thought it would be so I immediately ordered a 2nd ... I'm hooked and can't believe what a Rifle it is can't wait to get out and shoot it , I already sent in for a 2nd one there are awesome for the dollar and will be gone someday....
    ! image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom