• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Requesting a little info/ help on a Deutsche Werke Aktiengesellshaft Werk Brfurt. It’s a tight little, well-made ( Colt or Browning level machine work) spring wrapped fixed barrel with smooth wood grips w/ a round logo badge. Here’s what I think I know.
    It was imported into the US in the 30’s. In was never an official Nazi side arm but a lot were found on the German troops and was a known bring-back,.
    There were 2 versions, one with a weird push button released back strap safety (mine) and one without the back strap.
    When cocked the sear is held by just a spring load so dropping the pistol could cause it to fire.
    It should not be dry fired. (An urban legend is that John Dillinger had one in his pocket when he was shot dead.)
    My problem is it won’t cock / fire when cycled. It does load a round but that’s about it. The firing pin & spring is intact and the sear drops when the trigger is pulled. It field stripped easy ( slide all the way back, push in safety button and lift up the rear of slide.
    Would anyone have more information / diagram / info resource?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Your pistol is generally known as an Ortgies

I'll try to find you a link this evening.

I believe the .25's were actually made in the 1920's

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The Orgies are great little guns. At one time they were used by the German Marksmanship team. One of the first to have a handgrip safety.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Specifically, yours is an "Ortgies Vest Pocket". I have an Ortgies in .32acp. Does yours have the word "Germany" on it in English when looking at the underside of the pistol in front of the trigger guard?

Sorry you're having problems, I don't have any diagrams. It is a pain to put the slide back on and keep the spring in place, maybe that's the problem? There's a good assembly youtube video out there that I've seen.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I used to have one of these...really cool little guns. I know that there is a video on YouTube that shows how to field strip/reassemble, but I don't know of any troubleshooting. I know that the model I had would malfunction about 10% of the time, mostly due to weaker US-made 32ACP ammo.

I'm so glad it has a nickname. The german name is impossiable to commit to memory. The only thing I know in german is how to order a beer.

Thanks for the warning on the spring. I saw that firing pin spring is held by a "post" in front of the rear of the frame. I'm gussing that only in the cocked position. If the spring slipped over and get cought up on the post is explain a lot.

Being on the German marksman team whoulp help explain why were wanted as a backup by the german army / flyers It would have created a good reputation.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My late father acquired my Ortiges from a co-worker and veteran's son who said it was a bring back off a German soldier from Anzio. However, since mine says "Germany" on it in English I seriously doubt that is the case. The holster mine came in may actually be a bring back, it is Nazi marked. The vet's son may have gotten some pistols mixed up with their holsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom