• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I got one and ended up putting it on a BB gun goes it wasn't worth it. I should have known better but made an impulsive decision the cost me some $$$. :tdown::tdown:

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    For heaven's sake...

Call Vortex and they will set you right. When the strikefire came out, there were problems initially; but after purchasers gave feedback (many different posts and responses in a short amount of time) on arfcom with the company reps (Sam being one of em) the company had the strikefire gtg. Not to mention, all users reported that one call to Vortex was all it took to solve any problems.

Instead of counting the sparc as a loss, call the company and see what they say. Chances are they will replace your piece for free; if not, I'm sure they will do whatever they can to make sure you are a satisfied customer.

chalwie

Apr 27, 2010
    Vortex SPARC Review

After using it at a 35 yard range with a LWRC 5.56 rifle, here's my review of the SPARC.
    Initial impressions: Heavier than Aimpoint T-1 and larger, good build quality, and O-rings on elev/windage cover knobs and battery compartment for waterproofing. Rubber covers are cheap quality and broke as expected in one day. After-market covers are a must if important to you. Looking through the glass, it is obvious cheap quality (SPARC made in China). Clarity is not there, light transmission is below average, and color has a bluish green tint. Both Aimpoint and Trijicon has much higher quality glass. Red dot turned on has streak/burst-like effect, rather than a crystal clear small dot. Therefore, even though it's advertised "2MOA" size - the dot seems bigger.
    Range result: Knob clicks are soft and hard to distinguish. During zero-ing, I was not sure at first how many clicks so I wasted rounds. However, after moving knobs several times in both directions - the clicks were louder and more noticeable so adjustments were not difficult thereafter. It took about 20-25 rounds to get the zero reliable and consistent.
    After initial bench zero-ing, this is where the red dot really took off. After initial impression of poor optics clarity and red dot burst - I didn't expect much. However, I shot standing rapid fire in a tactical drill against my shooting buddy. He used iron sights, and I used red dot (without 2X mag). I was consistently faster and very accurate. On one 8 shot group, I hit within 2 inches on virtual rapid fire. It was very easy to get back on target after each recoil with the red dot. It goes to show that a red dot is very useful in a CQB tactical situation - but it's the red dot technique, and not necessarily the quality of optics or the dot itself that makes the difference. This last point is arguable, especially from those that paid $700 for an Aimpoint T-1/Larue combo would justify that cost. But results at the range in my experience showed this cheap China product works.
    As far as the 2X mag, it was worthless. First, the whole point of a red dot is speed and effectiveness at close quarters. The 2X mounted reduced the eye relief to unacceptable 1.5 inches. Any farther, and the tunnel shuts out the view. Also, the optics is further degraded by the 2X magnifier making the magnified view unusable even with eye jammed up close. Lastly, how effective is a CQB optic when you have to stop shooting and screw an optic on with people shooting back at you? The 2X magnifier was just a frill to entice SPARC potential buyers in my opinion.
    One last comment, Aimpoint T-1 and H-1 has no parallax but SPARC has parallax at close range. With a good cheek weld and training, it was not an issue with accuracy in my case. However, it's a negative worth mentioning.
    Conclusion: Vortex SPARC will not replace Aimpoint's high quality red dots. However, as a cheap entry or alternative - it's good enough as a range toy and/or back-up sight. For example, I mounted mine after testing on an angled mount in front of my Trijicon TA33. It works perfectly in my set-up because I just want a go-to sight when things are too close for the 3X Trijicon. And it saved me $500 over T-1/Larue combo. The SPARC is perfect cheap alternative for my set-up. However, for those that wants a bullet-proof primary sight - you'll have to spend more for the Aimpoint which SPARC does not replace.

After using it at a 35 yard range with a LWRC 5.56 rifle, here's my review of the SPARC.
    Initial impressions: Heavier than Aimpoint T-1 and larger, good build quality, with O-rings on elev/windage cover knobs and battery compartment for waterproofing. Rubber covers cheap quality and broke as expected in one day. After-market covers a must if important to you. Looking through the glass, it's obvious cheaper quality than American (SPARC made in China). Clarity is not there, and color has a darkened bluish green tint. Both Aimpoint and Trijicon has much higher quality glass. Red dot turned on has streak/burst-like effect, rather than a crystal clear small dot. Therefore, even though it's "2MOA" size - it seems bigger.
    Range result: Knob clicks are soft and hard to distinguish. During zero-ing, I was not sure at first how many clicks so it wasted rounds. However, after moving knobs several times in both directions - it actually clicked louder and more noticeably so adjustment was not difficult thereafter. It took about 20-25 rounds to get the zero reliable and consistent.
    After the initial bench zero-ing, this is where the red dot really took off. After initial impression of poor optics clarity and red dot burst - I didn't expect much. However, I shot standing rapid fire in a tactical drill against my shooting buddy. He used iron sights, and I used red dot (without 2X mag). I was consistently faster and very accurate. On one 8 shot group, I hit within 2 inches on virtual rapid fire. It was very easy to get back on target after each recoil with the red dot. It goes to show that a red dot is what's useful in a CQB tactical situation, not necessarily the quality of optics or the dot itself. This last point is arguable, especially from those that paid $700 for an Aimpoint T-1/Larue combo - but results at the range showed great results with cheap this cheap China product.
    As far as the 2X mag, it's worthless after mounting. First, the whole point of a red dot is speed and effectiveness at close quarters. The 2X mounted reduced the eye relief to unacceptable 1.5 to 2 inches. Any farther, and the tunnel shuts out the view. Also, the optics is further degraded by the 2X magnifier making the magnified virtually unusable even with eye jammed up close. Lastly, how effective is a CQB optic when you have to stop shooting and screw an optic on with people shooting back at you?
    One last comment, Aimpoint T-1 and H-1 has no parallax but SPARC had noticeable parallax at close range. With good cheek weld and training, it was not an issue with accuracy in my case. However, it's another negative worth mentioning.
    Conclusion: Vortex SPARC will not replace Aimpoint's high quality red dots. However, as a cheap entry or alternative - it's good enough as a range toy and/or SHTF back-up. I now mount mine on an angled mount in front of my Trijicon TA33. It works perfectly in my set-up because I just want a go-to sight when things are too close for the 3X Trijicon. And it saved me $500 over T-1/Larue combo. The SPARC is perfect for my set-up. However, for those that wants a bullet-proof primary sight - you know what you have the brand you have to go to.

Excellent review. Pretty much expands on my original post that the sparc is not a T-1 but it is good for use for casual users and I use 2 of them on my dedicated spikes .22 m4 and a 5" 9mm ar that i use for local 3-gun.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Initial impressions: Heavier than Aimpoint T-1 and larger, good build quality, with O-rings on elev/windage cover knobs and battery compartment for waterproofing. Rubber covers cheap quality and broke as expected in one day. After-market covers a must if important to you. Looking through the glass, it's obvious cheaper quality than American (SPARC made in China). Clarity is not there, and color has a darkened bluish green tint. Both Aimpoint and Trijicon has much higher quality glass. Red dot turned on has streak/burst-like effect, rather than a crystal clear small dot. Therefore, even though it's "2MOA" size - it seems bigger.
    Range result: Knob clicks are soft and hard to distinguish. During zero-ing, I was not sure at first how many clicks so it wasted rounds. However, after moving knobs several times in both directions - it actually clicked louder and more noticeably so adjustment was not difficult thereafter. It took about 20-25 rounds to get the zero reliable and consistent.
    After the initial bench zero-ing, this is where the red dot really took off. After initial impression of poor optics clarity and red dot burst - I didn't expect much. However, I shot standing rapid fire in a tactical drill against my shooting buddy. He used iron sights, and I used red dot (without 2X mag). I was consistently faster and very accurate. On one 8 shot group, I hit within 2 inches on virtual rapid fire. It was very easy to get back on target after each recoil with the red dot. It goes to show that a red dot is what's useful in a CQB tactical situation, not necessarily the quality of optics or the dot itself. This last point is arguable, especially from those that paid $700 for an Aimpoint T-1/Larue combo - but results at the range showed great results with cheap this cheap China product.
    As far as the 2X mag, it's worthless after mounting. First, the whole point of a red dot is speed and effectiveness at close quarters. The 2X mounted reduced the eye relief to unacceptable 1.5 to 2 inches. Any farther, and the tunnel shuts out the view. Also, the optics is further degraded by the 2X magnifier making the magnified virtually unusable even with eye jammed up close. Lastly, how effective is a CQB optic when you have to stop shooting and screw an optic on with people shooting back at you?
    One last comment, Aimpoint T-1 and H-1 has no parallax but SPARC had noticeable parallax at close range. With good cheek weld and training, it was not an issue with accuracy in my case. However, it's another negative worth mentioning.
    Conclusion: Vortex SPARC will not replace Aimpoint's high quality red dots. However, as a cheap entry or alternative - it's good enough as a range toy and/or SHTF back-up. I now mount mine on an angled mount in front of my Trijicon TA33. It works perfectly in my set-up because I just want a go-to sight when things are too close for the 3X Trijicon. And it saved me $500 over T-1/Larue combo. The SPARC is perfect for my set-up. However, for those that wants a bullet-proof primary sight - you know what you have the brand you have to go to.

Chawlie, I'm glad you finally got your Sparc!

chalwie

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks Calengor for hooking me up to this site, and the group buy on SPARC. I'm in ATL but wish I could shoot with you fine Maryland folks. Regards.

Justpassing

Anti-Anti-Gun
    Thanks Calengor for hooking me up to this site, and the group buy on SPARC. I'm in ATL but wish I could shoot with you fine Maryland folks. Regards.

thanks for the review! and your right about the technique part, most beginners should just get a cheap but good red dot like the SPARC and use the money left over for ammo to train on. than they can justify an expensive red dot.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Excellent review. Pretty much expands on my original post that the sparc is not a T-1 but it is good for use for casual users and I use 2 of them on my dedicated spikes .22 m4 and a 5" 9mm ar that i use for local 3-gun.

Yup. Mine sits atop my Sig 522. Great for a day of 22lr fun, but probably not the golden goose egg for serious shooters in bigger calibers..

chalwie

Apr 27, 2010
    Just an update. I've been to the range 3 times since the review of my SPARC June 30th, and the battery died today. I would estimate the total on time to be roughly 4-5 hours. There's a lot of talk about the Aimpoint's extreme battery life, as a selling point for it's $600+ price. For those using the red dot as a range toy, 4-5 hours may be acceptable. But those use it as a serious defense tool - should definitely spend up. SPARC still suits my purpose as a angled mount red dot second to my Trijicon TA33H-G.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    hmm, thats not good. I have had my strike fire to the range many time and the battery is still kicking. I wonder why the sparc ate the battery so fast.

chalwie

Apr 27, 2010
    When retrieving the battery today, it turned on properly. Don't know what went wrong yesterday when it didn't turn on. I'll assume it's my bad, and update again if there's problems.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    When retrieving the battery today, it turned on properly. Don't know what went wrong yesterday when it didn't turn on. I'll assume it's my bad, and update again if there's problems.

Assuming it has the same set up as the strike fire(i dont have my handy)
    ..Make sure the spring in making a good connection, i remember on the strike fire it had that problem when i first got it, just give a gentle pull on the spring so that it is extended towards the battery more.

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    I thought that my batt had died the other day but figured out that it had come on in my gun case and the foam had somehow turned the brightness all the way down.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Well...I guess I'll resurrect this thread. I put my new Vortex SPARC on my S&W 15-22 and went to the range last weekend. I had the same experience as KevP and the elevation adjustment is a POS. I had to spin the dials 360 so many times the cover cap was not going to go back on :mad54:. and the gun was still 4" low at 50 yards. Tom was with me and suggested I move the RDS back on the rail which moved the POI 3 inches high and I was able to spin the elevation dial down so the cap would go back on. I'm taking to the range again tomorrow and seeing if I can get it straightened out but I think I'm still going to ask for a refund.

I own 2 Aimpoint T-1's and a ML-3 & a XPS 2.0 EoTech.... I guess you get what you pay for.

And I'm sure Vortex will take care of it but there seems to be a hit or miss issue with whether you get a good one or not and I don't want the hassle.

chalwie

Apr 27, 2010
    This is an old thread, but wanted to provide an update given my post about battery life.
    I used this on a 556 rifle since April 2010. Although I don't shoot it everytime, I make it a point to turn it on every time at the range to test battery life. I leave it on, and it auto shuts off after 6 hours. The battery since new just died this week. That's over one year - pretty great for an Aimpoint clone. I have Aimpoints on my primary rifles now, and moved the SPARC on my shotgun. That's a lot of fun.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    This is an old thread, but wanted to provide an update given my post about battery life.
    I used this on a 556 rifle since April 2010. Although I don't shoot it everytime, I make it a point to turn it on every time at the range to test battery life. I leave it on, and it auto shuts off after 6 hours. The battery since new just died this week. That's over one year - pretty great for an Aimpoint clone. I have Aimpoints on my primary rifles now, and moved the SPARC on my shotgun. That's a lot of fun.

Thanks for the update. I was just looking at the sparc for a 9mm carbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom