• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellphish

Aug 28, 2007
    Rockville
    i know mossy has a good image in shotguns but what about rifles. my dad wants something inexpensive so i found this. thoughts? ideas?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I do not see anything other than your post, no information / no pic about the rifle.

Me either, I have a 500 12 gauge, no real complaints except for the fact that I dont like all of the slop in the pump. $250 out the door and ready to go for mine. As for rifle Im not to sure, Im guessing not the best, but for the price they can be worth buying.

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    I would go with a Savage. They have a very good reputation for accuracy and are usually very inexpensive. I believe they make rifles for Stevens also.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Here's a review of the Mossberg 100 ATR I stole from THR. For $247 it really is a good deal in my opinion.

WHAT: Mossberg ATR 100 rifle in .270 Win with black synthetic stock and matte black finish.

http://www.mossberg.com/model100atr.htm

WHY: I am going rifle hunting for deer this year instead of my usual muzzle-loading season due to a trip to Hawaii. I planned on using a nice, wood stocked .375 H&H, but decided that I did not want to tear up the stock dragging it up into tree stands. (Yeah, yeah, like I NEED a reason to buy a new rifle....)

HOW MUCH: It cost $244 at Wal-Mart. It came with bases installed, and I purchased Warne rings for another $25 to mount a Leopold Vari-X III 3.5-10 scope (that I already owned) onto the rifle. Total cost out the door was about $285.

FIT AND FINISH: Utilitarian. It is not pretty, but the bolt action is actually rather smooth. The stock is quite a bit stiffer in the forearm than the stocks I have seen on the Savage rifles. The finish of the metal appears to be some kind of spray-on matte finish.

Function: While it is not a tack-driving benchrest rifle, it shot rather well. After getting it on paper and dialed in at 25 yards, my first group at 50 yards was about .75 inches. My first group at 100 yards was about 1.5 inches. My best group at 100 yards was 1.25 inches, and the worst about 3.5 inches, which was the last group, shot rapid fire, with a HOT barrel. The average group size was between 1.25 and 1.5 inches when fired slow from a bench using a rest for the forearm and a sandbag under the butt.

The ammo used for testing was 130gr Fusion .270 ammo made by Federal. I will soon buy dies and reload for this rifle, and I expect that, as has been the case with every other rifle I have owned, I will be able to shrink the groups by at least 1/3 their size.

The trigger is single-staged, with a tiny bit of creep and a tad of overtravel. It was quite easy to shoot well with the trigger. The rifle functioned flawlessly, with no issues feeding, extracting, or ejecting, and the action was actually rather smooth. The recoil was also minimal (I'm used to a .375H&H off the bench, so take that for what it's worth).

OVERALL: I just bought a rifle for under $250 dollars that is more than accurate enough for the deer hunting terrain I will be in. I will not be worried about dinging up the stock while walking through the woods or dragging it up behind me into a deer-stand. I am actually quite suprised that one can buy a perfectly functional bolt-action rifle for what I paid for it. I would highly recommed this rifle to anyone looking at buying a true hunting rifle, especially for someone who is not going to use it to punch paper two dozen times a year, but is going to sight it in every fall, then hunt with it.

I will also post an accuracy update when I get the chance to shoot it at longer ranges.

Edit: The smaller group was my first group at 50 yards, the larger my first group at 100. It isn't a 1/4MOA gun, but then again, I shot the groups in real life, not over the internet......

MOSS100.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Did we find out what rifle he was talking about yet? I don't see a link, picture, or anything...

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    Also, the factory Savage tupperware can be flimsy, but the Choate, McMillan, or other aftermarket stocks can be surprisingly stout.

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    Mossberg only really makes two style of rifles. The previous ATR and the new 4x4 (?). For the money I would say it's not bad. They shoot good enough to hit a deer. They just aren't as refined as some rifles.
    The new Mossberg are awkward looking to me. Like they took every trend out there and decided to put it on one rifle.
    Savage has a very good reputation for a solid and strong receiver. They also have a reputation for excellent accuracy. They cost about the same as a Mossberg. For the same amount I would go with the Savage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom