• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    Maryland State Police List of Banned Assault Weapons

Maryland Criminal Laws, Article 27, Crimes and Punishments Regulated Firearms. 441(d) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that firearm:

Assault Weapons
    American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    AK-47 in all forms;
    Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
    AR 100 type semi-auto;
    AR 180 type semi-auto;
    Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
    Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
    Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
    Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto;
    Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
    Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
    Calico models M-100 and M-900;
    CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
    Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
    Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;
    Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;
    Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;
    Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
    Feather AT-9 semi-auto;
    FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
    FNC semi-auto type carbine;
    F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
    Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;
    Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;
    Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;
    Holmes model 88 shotgun;
    Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
    Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9;
    Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;
    Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
    Sterling Mark 6;
    P.A.W.S. carbine;
    Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
    SKS with detachable magazine;
    AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;
    Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A,
    excluding the M1 Garand;
    Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
    Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
    Unique F11 semi-auto type;
    Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;
    UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
    Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;
    Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine; or
    Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

Direct questions to:
    First Sergeant Larry Wheeler
    Maryland State Police Firearms

Registration Section at:
    7751 Washington Boulevard,
    Jessup, Maryland 20794
    or at (410) 799-0191.

Updated 8-14-00(bb)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As Numidian said, those are the regulated long guns that must be transferred like handguns.

Maybe that's a slip and they updated their website before the general assembly. Perhaps they are tipping their hand. :sad20:

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    First of all don't believe what you see on an anti-gun website. They will ALWAYS tell you can't have something that you can. They will do anything in thier power to make us look bad and to get more guns banned. Remember they want them all gone. Took me awile to find it because MD is rewriting their code, but the list looks the same to me:

§ 5-101. Definitions.

(a) In general.- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.

(p) Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK-47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi-auto;
    (vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
    (viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light.50 cal. semi-auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;
    (xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2;
    (xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto;
    (xviii) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber);
    (xix) Feather AT-9 semi-auto;
    (xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
    (xxi) FNC semi-auto type carbine;
    (xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
    (xxiii) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto;
    (xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto;
    (xxv) Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3;
    (xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
    (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
    (xxviii) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9;
    (xxix) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine;
    (xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
    (xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
    (xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
    (xxxiii) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
    (xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
    (xxxvi) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto;
    (xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
    (xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
    (xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
    (xl) Unique F11 semi-auto type;
    (xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun;
    (xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
    (xliii) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto;
    (xliv) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine; or
    (xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    BTW-If you look at the MD law these definitions and laws were repealed: (Maryland Criminal Laws, Article 27, Crimes and Punishments Regulated Firearms. 441(d) Assault weapon.)

The definitions under that part of the code were replaced with:
    § 5-101. Definitions.

As I said before MD is rewriting thier code. It will be interesting to see if they change anything or somehow accidentally write a new law. I sure wouldn't be suprised. :sad20:

Therefore the text you saw is not true. It says it was last modified in the year 2000. The code I have is current law.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Interesting question. I would say no. It's not on the list. Seems like even with a folding stock it is still not regulated. I am not 100% sure though. I would have to check with a dealer.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    The current language as Coinboy noted is section 5-101(p) of the Public Safety Article of the annotated Code of Maryland. This defines regulated firearms. A couple of years ago Maryland redid its statutes from the old Article system to a more modern system. A committee actually rewrote the old statutes which were often difficult to read and very illogically ordered into a supposedly more modern form. 5-101(p) is the old Article 27, § 441(d) and (r) verbatim.
    BTW- It did however make for some interesting issues. Because of a screw up in the wording for about 2-3 months it was actually legal to carry a loaded handgun in your car. They didn't advertise the fact and the legislature passed an emergency bill to correct it, but it did happen.

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks guys. I have a Firearm on the list and wanted to know what it ment. When i bought it in the 90"s I did have to wait 7 days

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    The regulated firearms list is something of a blessing because present law only defines the arms on the list my make/model or copies thereof as being regulated. There are several newer guns on the market that are "scary looking" but are not subject to the waiting period.

Want two?

The PS-90 and the FS2000.

Neither one are copies of existing arms on the list and as a result, can be bought without the waiting period. Now, that's not to say the dealer might opt to run the transfer as regulated but I can tell you, the Gun Shack in Mount Airy had a PS-90 and it was not subject to the regulated period. Just like a Colt HBAR.

If the gun can't trace its lineage through the arms on the regulated firearms list, it's a non-regulated transfer.

Maryland may suck but compared to places like California, it is a lesser form of evil here. We are merely on the edge of the abyss; we haven't plummeted into it yet.

Matt

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The regulated firearms list is something of a blessing because present law only defines the arms on the list my make/model or copies thereof as being regulated. There are several newer guns on the market that are "scary looking" but are not subject to the waiting period.

Want two?

The PS-90 and the FS2000.

Neither one are copies of existing arms on the list and as a result, can be bought without the waiting period. Now, that's not to say the dealer might opt to run the transfer as regulated but I can tell you, the Gun Shack in Mount Airy had a PS-90 and it was not subject to the regulated period. Just like a Colt HBAR.

If the gun can't trace its lineage through the arms on the regulated firearms list, it's a non-regulated transfer.

Maryland may suck but compared to places like California, it is a lesser form of evil here. We are merely on the edge of the abyss; we haven't plummeted into it yet.

Matt

I agree, we aren't totally f'd here just yet. I think the "assault pistols" list is BS, but at the same time we can get every semi-automatic "assault rifle" out there as long as we just wait a week. It's not ideal, but it could be much much worse.

All the AR fans here (including myself) would be pretty upset if we had to roll with the insane Cali-style retarded stock/pinned magazine versions.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    "Is this true I saw it on Ceasefire???"

I can't believe this... no disrespect, but do you actually believe everything you read?? From Ceasefire???!?? I have ocean front property in Nebraska that I would like to sell you. I believe Martin O'Mouthy won't raise my taxes or pass any more weapons bans. Machine guns and suppressors are illegal in Maryland. Not. NOT. NOT.

Stop, look and think about the question that you just asked man! Do you also believe in what Hillary says until someone tells you otherwise? The anti's will lie, cheat and BS to get their points across. These weapons are not banned for now, regardless of what HTML might pass across your browser.

Its actually sad that you almost fell for this misinformation. Do you homework and get involved before taking what you read on the internet as possibly the truth.

Again, no disrespect but this type of misinformation by the anti's really gets my goat. Thankfully, you came to a place that will tell you what is true and what is not. It scares me that other people might have saw that and just assumed the knuckleheads are right and gave up.

Last edited:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

I can't believe this... no disrespect, but do you actually believe everything you read?? From Ceasefire???!?? I have ocean front property in Nebraska that I would like to sell you. I believe Martin O'Mouthy won't raise my taxes or pass any more weapons bans. Machine guns and suppressors are illegal in Maryland. Not. NOT. NOT.

Stop, look and think about the question that you just asked man! Do you also believe in what Hillary says until someone tells you otherwise? The anti's will lie, cheat and BS to get their points across. These weapons are not banned for now, regardless of what HTML might pass across your browser.

Its actually sad that you almost fell for this misinformation. Do you homework and get involved before taking what you read on the internet as possibly the truth.

Again, no disrespect but this type of misinformation by the anti's really gets my goat. Thankfully, you came to a place that will tell you what is true and what is not. It scares me that other people might have saw that and just assumed the knuckleheads are right and gave up.

Wow, hemorrhoids flaring up again? Give the guy a break. Obviously he didn't trust Ceasefire so he brought his doubts here, where he knew that a knowledgeable person would answer his question and explain any technicalities. So I'll answer your question(rant?) for him: No, he doesn't believe everything he reads, and he wisely used a trusted resource to find the truth.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Hemorrhoids? Rants?

Nope.

Touchy? Maybe. The special session has me nervous. Once the sham has passed, the anti's are ripe to make this state like NJ, HI and New York.

Nothing against the guy. "That" website clearly says "Banned Weapons", which is completely not true, no matter how much "they" wish it was. You can clearly check it out on the MSP website along with the MD Gun laws on the legislatures website or going to the library and looking up the statue.

If I am not welcome in your house, I will be happy to leave.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Hemorrhoids? Rants?

Nope.

Touchy? Maybe. The special session has me nervous. Once the sham has passed, the anti's are ripe to make this state like NJ, HI and New York.

Nothing against the guy. "That" website clearly says "Banned Weapons", which is completely not true, no matter how much "they" wish it was. You can clearly check it out on the MSP website along with the MD Gun laws on the legislatures website or going to the library and looking up the statue.

If I am not welcome in your house, I will be happy to leave.

Good, you responded as I expected you would, so now I can make the point that I was hoping to make.

First, you are correct that what is displayed on the Ceasefire website is BS. No one is disputing that. But how can you fault a person for asking someone whom they trust, and who they know is knowledgeable, for clarification? That is what this community is all about. Rather than attacking the guy (which you did), why couldn't you have just given him some direction on where to look if he has questions in the future? There are probably more question marks than periods on this site, and that is what it is all about.

Second, your last sentence contains the keywords "not welcome", which is exactly the feeling that I wanted you to feel when you read my post. No, it is not that you are not welcome, as you are. Rather, I responded to you in the same tone that you responded to the questioner, and I was hoping that you would feel the same feelings that he probably felt when he read your post. I don't want anyone to feel that if they ask a question about the confusing maze of gun laws in this state that they are going to be attacked and/or mocked. That, my friend, is counterproductive and does NOTHING to help educate people about the reality of our situation.

Third, the questioner did us all a favor by asking about this issue in a public forum, because who knows how many readers may have seen that list on Ceasefire and took it as gospel (which is your stated fear). Now it has been pointed out for the world to see that the info regarding "banned" weapons in MD on Ceasefire's website is a sneaky lie. If even one confused individual learned the truth from this post, then wouldn't that be a good thing?

Hopefully I've made my point. And yes, you are welcome here, as is anyone who wants to take part in civil discourse regarding the subject at hand. All I ask is that we show each other a basic level of respect so that our community doesn't implode. We need unity among gun owners in this state or we are doomed.

:beer:

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    No that why I put up the question if I believed it I would not have to ask the question. I will tell you though when someone wants to buy a firearm in your collection thats on the list you double check.

For the record that this at the end that looded like a question mark is a question mark.

If it was a statement that I said was true then I would agree with your statements

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom