• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    This has been a real joy for me and labor of love finishing this rifle.
    I would like to thank Mario from Keepshooting for being able to find me one in great condition with all matching serial numbers including the magazine.
    It has taken me a good part of three weeks to get all of the cosmoline out of the wood and metal which was a huge undertaking and I also re-blued and finshed in boiled linseed oil.
    This project was personal in that I never got to meet my Grandfather because he died before I could meet him after immigrating to the US at the age of 6 months but I did hear he lost his eye shooting his rifles which intriguing me. I never got to see the rifles as the story goes because the British government sized them, so much for liberty. I thought the Ishapore would be the closest I could get to channeling him even though it may not be of his period but at least ammo would not be hard to find.

Anyway here are some pictures.
    IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8617-1.jpg

IMG_8616.jpg

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8642.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

It still needs many more coats of BLO but it's getting there. I will be taking it to Hap Baker this week to shoot it for the first time.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    I am working on the very same rifle, a 1966. Sad part is all I have is this crappy ATI stock. I need to get a stock set myself. Beautiful rifle you have there. Here is mine currently.

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Gonna try to finish sandblasting the barrel tomorrow

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the complements it means a lot to me especially after the amount of man hours and detail that went into restoring it back to a battle rifle that probably either seen the snow post sino-Indian war or on the boarder of Kashmir.

Nathan I hope you find a stock for your 66 and are able to restore the rifle to it's original glory. It's sad to hear that when they were first imported many got bubbafied but hopefully they will command a collectible status in the future.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    It's sad to hear that when they were first imported many got bubbafied but hopefully they will command a collectible status in the future.

Well mine will never be as good as yours. The painted finish on mine was horrible so it is going to get a backyard parkerizing job with a home brew park mix.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Well mine will never be as good as yours. The painted finish on mine was horrible so it is going to get a backyard parkerizing job with a home brew park mix.

Don't give up hope. I believe the original finish is black enamel paint over a parkerized finish. The enamel paint was terrible and was already coming off so I striped and discovered a parkerized finish underneath. There are some areas which were blued and I used a product called Oxpho-blue which did a great job and it blended into the worn finish.
    All things considered I think you may find a good stock from a Ishapore that is a mechanical dud paper weight and depending on the furniture it may actually come out better then mine.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    Well I don't see them on their site anymore but Springfield Sporters use to sell a set from a DP rifle for $60. Just requires a lot of fitting. I've done one I know. I am excited that it is .308. I like the .303 and I have a no 4 with an apparently new barrel on it. Just nice to keep them alive in a more modern cartridge

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Well I don't see them on their site anymore but Springfield Sporters use to sell a set from a DP rifle for $60. Just requires a lot of fitting. I've done one I know. I am excited that it is .308. I like the .303 and I have a no 4 with an apparently new barrel on it. Just nice to keep them alive in a more modern cartridge

From everything that I have read the Ishapore is also accurate. My brother-in-law was awarded one and after shooting his three months ago I just had to have one of my own. I also hear that they have gone up in value over the years but I don't think that matters much because it's a keeper.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I forgot to mention that the black enamel paint sobered on was not part of the Ishapore service rifle. It would seem that it was used for preservation of the metal during storage so it is perfectly fine to remove it with some Citra Strip.

The parkerization is thick and well done.

After steaming out all that cosmoline I discovered this.

Sheesham otherwise known as Indian rosewood.
    IMG_8601.jpg

I did not stain the wood, only BLO was added. The wood has a beautiful color that has transparent marbleized bits of gold, red,brown and black that looks like hot ambers. The picture does not capture it well.

Sirex