• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I got this email from a business associate who has evolved from just asking questions about firearms to now owning three guns. Thursday we broke in his Henry Big Boy .357/.38 Special lever action at Hap Baker. (I like that rifle)

Mike I want to say thank you for the opportunity and education and time you have given me in learning and being exposed to something I was hesitant to pursue. You a great friend and I do appreciate it very much.

coynedogg

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2012
    UR2PC4ME
    I got this email from a business associate who has evolved from just asking questions about firearms to now owning three guns. Thursday we broke in his Henry Big Boy .357/.38 Special lever action at Hap Baker. (I like that rifle)

congrats, yep, always make time for new shooters.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Good job Mike !!!

What got him initially interested ? Did you speak to him first, or did he see or hear something that got him 'thinking' ?

The reason I ask is that there is an article in the current copy of Gun's and Ammo entitled "Poisonous Preconceptions ... Sometimes what we appear to be is what many nonshooters think we are". (hardcopy only right now)

The article rails on the stereotypical 'mall ninja' as to say that anyone who wears a camo ballcap or a S&W-logo'ed t-shirt is doing the gun-rights community a disservice. Citing Jill LaPore, who isn't the most 2A friendly academic in Harvard's faculty lounge, Ben O'Brien attempts to make the case that maybe we should 'tone it down'.

I for one won't turn it down, and I turn it up every weekend. My casual wardrobe consist of shirts and hats that subtly say 'long live the 2nd Amendment'. I've had many positive comments, and a few odd stares, but none of my attire is 'out there', unless you call a Beretta or Hornady logo extreme.

I am of the opinion that 'positive reinforcement' of our image, that includes our attire, will peek curiosity in more and more people because they won't be ashamed to show their interest in what some, like Ben O'Brien, would consider a 'guilty pleasure'.

But, back to my original question. What got him interested ?

Anyone else ???

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    But, back to my original question. What got him interested ?

Anyone else ???

About eight years ago he mentioned that he had a rifle he had bought 20+ years ago for home defense. He was considering surrendering it to MSP because a neighbor had told him he bought a hunting rifle, Marlin lever action, rather than a gun suitable for home defense. A now closed gun shop sold him the rifle rather than telling him to get training and having him come back after getting trained.

Over the years we talked about what he should do, training and visiting a range but business and a near fatal motorcycle accident delayed things. Last year he got a Remington 12 gauge and a Henry .22 lever rifle. He joined myself and another person at Free State once last year and I know he was a bit overwhelmed. He got the .357 Henry as a birthday gift last Monday and we were at Hap on Thursday. I guess during that range visit things clicked. The only negative is that he lives in PG County and getting to Hap Baker from there is a nightmare. According to Google Maps, AGC is easier, still almost an hour drive each way.

Yes, this has been a long term project. 8+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom