• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    I finally picked up my Beretta 92FS tonight. The gun is a basic no frills three-dot sight model. I love how smooth the slide moves and I like the long barrel and the lines are classic. However, I noticed that my P226 is a lot lighter and I do appreciate the decock only nature of the Sig without the awkward slide mounted safety of the Beretta 92FS. The factory sandpaper grips of the Sig are easier to grip and retain. I can see why some people prefer Sigs, they are the DA/SA equivalent of a striker fired glock ...all business.

If I was in charge of choosing a sidearm for the US military I would have gotten the P226 instead of the Beretta back in 1985. The Sig would have been easier to train on because of the ergonomics and lack of safety. Both handguns have similar grip angles and are natural pointers.

I would like a P228 and a Glock 17 to round out my current service pistol collection.

dscn1057a.th.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I actually prefer the 92FS over the SIG because it balances better, the safety is not really an issue for me - and mostly because the slide stop is very easy to reach with the thumb. The slide stop is in an awkward spot on the SIGs, IMO. I've never had to shift grip to hit the slide stop on my Beretta, and that's a plus (both for clearing and reloading)!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If I was in charge of choosing a sidearm for the US military I would have gotten the P226 instead of the Beretta back in 1985. The Sig would have been easier to train on because of the ergonomics and lack of safety. Both handguns have similar grip angles and are natural pointers
    Model "G" Berettas are decocker-only.

I love my Sig 226, but I'd still love to get my hands on a 90-two.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    its really and apple and oranges thing.
    i have both. both are excellent pistols.
    the sig 226 i have is an original w german gun and has been completely reliable with anything
    i have feed it including surplus ammo.
    the beretta 92 is newer but hasnt been an issue either. its slightly larger than the sig and has a better SA trigger.
    the reason the US picked the beretta over the sig is because they bid lower.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If I was in charge of choosing a sidearm for the US military I would have gotten the P226 instead of the Beretta back in 1985. The Sig would have been easier to train on because of the ergonomics and lack of safety. Both handguns have similar grip angles and are natural pointers.

The military did buy and still buys the P226, they called it the M11 and was issued ILO of the M9 on certain MTO&Es.

Last edited:

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    I finally picked up my Beretta 92FS tonight. The gun is a basic no frills three-dot sight model. I love how smooth the slide moves and I like the long barrel and the lines are classic. However, I noticed that my P226 is a lot lighter and I do appreciate the decock only nature of the Sig without the awkward slide mounted safety of the Beretta 92FS. The factory sandpaper grips of the Sig are easier to grip and retain. I can see why some people prefer Sigs, they are the DA/SA equivalent of a striker fired glock ...all business.

I would like a P228 and a Glock 17 to round out my current service pistol collection.

dscn1057a.th.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

The Sig p-226 did in fact beat out the Beretta to be the US side arm in 1985. But Sig could not produce them fast enough on American soil so Beretta got the contract . I own several Sig's and Beretta's and I also like the Sig's better.

SRTMO

Apr 29, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    The military did buy and still buys the P226, they called it the M11 and was issued ILO of the M9 on certain MTO&Es.

I carried the M11 as my side arm when I was a Military Police Investigator. It's the Sig P228. Army CID also carries it. Some Military Police SRT's carried the M11 instead of the M9 because they all came with Trijicon night sights while the M9 did not.

Not all MP Investigators where able to carry the M11 because it wasn't available everywhere.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The Sig p-226 did in fact beat out the Beretta to be the US side arm in 1985. But Sig could not produce them fast enough on American soil so Beretta got the contract . I own several Sig's and Beretta's and I also like the Sig's better.

No, Beretta submitted a lower bid. Both pistols successfully completed testing, but Beretta underbid Sig by $1 a pistol. Some folks alleged that Beretta was tipped off to Sig's bid, and was therefore able to underbid them by such a small amount, but that is speculation.

I picked up a 92 mainly because I got it for a good deal, and because it is a historically significant pistol having served over 20 years now with out military. Even though I bought it because the price was right, I've really come to like the gun. It is a good piece of equipment. I prefer it over Sigs.

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    No, Beretta submitted a lower bid. Both pistols successfully completed testing, but Beretta underbid Sig by $1 a pistol. Some folks alleged that Beretta was tipped off to Sig's bid, and was therefore able to underbid them by such a small amount, but that is speculation.

I picked up a 92 mainly because I got it for a good deal, and because it is a historically significant pistol having served over 20 years now with out military. Even though I bought it because the price was right, I've really come to like the gun. It is a good piece of equipment. I prefer it over Sigs.

Incorrect good sir between 1979 and 1990 my grandfather was one of the men in charge of this decision. its true that beretta had a lower price but onley after adding the extra mag and other assy.Sig Sauer did indeed win the inital bid but the military fearing public outrage over a German country bilding are military side arm chose the Beretta 92fs (M-9).

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    http://www.defensereview.com/the-true-story-of-the-beretta-m9-pistol/

The Army eventually made headway and in November of 1983 placed a Formal Request for Test Samples (FRTS) to several commercial arms makers in the US and around the world. Eight makers submitted a sample lot of 30 pistols by the deadline of January of 1984, and by August of the same year the testing was completed. (NSIAD-88-46) Of the eight makers who submitted test samples, 4 were technically unacceptable and 2 removed themselves from competition. The two surviving companies were SACO (importing Sig-Sauer pistols at the time) and Beretta. (NSIAD-88-46) After a controversial bidding process (some allege Beretta was tipped off about SACO’s bid so they could lower the per unit cost on their candidate by $1.00 and win the contract) the Army signed a contract with Beretta for 315,930 pistols. This number was later increased to 321,260 pistols. The new pistols would bear the military name of M9. (NSIAD-88-46)

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    http://www.defensereview.com/the-true-story-of-the-beretta-m9-pistol/

The Army eventually made headway and in November of 1983 placed a Formal Request for Test Samples (FRTS) to several commercial arms makers in the US and around the world. Eight makers submitted a sample lot of 30 pistols by the deadline of January of 1984, and by August of the same year the testing was completed. (NSIAD-88-46) Of the eight makers who submitted test samples, 4 were technically unacceptable and 2 removed themselves from competition. The two surviving companies were SACO (importing Sig-Sauer pistols at the time) and Beretta. (NSIAD-88-46) After a controversial bidding process (some allege Beretta was tipped off about SACO’s bid so they could lower the per unit cost on their candidate by $1.00 and win the contract) the Army signed a contract with Beretta for 315,930 pistols. This number was later increased to 321,260 pistols. The new pistols would bear the military name of M9. (NSIAD-88-46)

All true but SACO'S bid was excepted and then the military changed their mind after the Beretta counter bid Please don't believe every thing you read on the internet it makes you sound ignorant....

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    Hey guys we know how the story ended. Lets be nice and enjoy this Beretta Brochure that the dealer had on the 92F/M9/M9A1/90-TWO. I may scan it at work if you guys have not already seen it.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    My bad but I quote from the Sig Sauer Products and Services Page on the P226.

Designed for the U.S. Army and carried by U.S. Navy SEALs, Texas Rangers and many other elite military and law enforcement professionals, the SIG SAUER® P226® has earned its place in the highest class of
    production pistols

And from the Sig Sauer Mil/Govt/Exports page

We are known by the "Company We Keep." SIG SAUER pistols are used to protect our President (USSS), our Skies (FAMS), our Coasts (USCG), The Pope (Papal Guard) and by prestigious Military organizations such as the US Air Force (M11), US Army (M11), SEALs (P226), Canadian Military and the British Military in Iraq.

The P228 was a compact version of the P226, something akin to a Government Model vs a Commander in a 1911A1.

I was never issued a M9 or M11, I only shot the XM-9 both the 92 and the Sig (Which was marked P226 btw) at Ft Knox during troop field trials and testing. Got to test the Bianchi holster too. Shot expert with both and a 1911A1 for my pistol qualification.

My issued weapon was .38 S&W M&P10 4" but I carried a my own 1911A1 and a 2-1/2" S&W M19 in my helmet bag sometimes.

Sorry if I made an error. I don't pretend to be an expert and I guess my memory is fading since I just didn't buy my first gun a year ago.

Last edited:

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    The decocker on the Sig is only good is your are right handed.

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    I just didn't buy my first gun a year ago.

Don't worrry about it I was just joking anyway. I remember my first gun purchase in 1993. A lakefield 64 .22 caliber semi auto. A real POS!

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    All true but SACO'S bid was excepted and then the military changed their mind after the Beretta counter bid Please don't believe every thing you read on the internet it makes you sound ignorant....

I guess my source is faulty and not as credible as an anonymous guy on the internet with a smart mouth, claiming to speak for his grandfather.

Thanks for the advice about not believing everything I read on the net. I will take your advice to heart when viewing your future posts. Over and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom