• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Well I stopped in at Hafer's on Tues and got to touch my first AR. I'm pretty psyched to get it out on the range. Just have to get through the wait and hope for good weather... Hell, I think I'll take the day off just to run a few mags through it.

You guys have any suggestions for barrel break in on a chrome lined barrel? At this point I don't see 1" MOA with this tool especially because I don't plan on optics and the chrome barrel but any suggestions would be great.

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Just a couple more days. Unfortunately the snow has now covered us again. It's going to make for a muddy mess by the time I get this pup outdoors. :(

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Oh yes I do! I just had time to wipe it down a bit and look it over. I'm gonna give it a full cleaning and lube before I head out. I've been in a gym all weekend (Fri and Sat) at the HS regional championships. My son took first in the county last week :party29: but didn't make it through to states :sad20:... Now I've got the household chores to do. It never ends.

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    McPlink, where do you shoot?

NARCG in Hagerstown. I too am a paper slayer.

Update - Had a friend stop by to take a look a the new purchase. 3 tours in Afghanistan. We went over breakdown and cleaning instructions. The speed in which this guy had the weapon field stripped was unreal. The only thing that slowed him was the "newness" and tight fit of things. Even so, it was a treat to watch one of our servicemen handle one of his tools. Unbelievable. In easily under 30 secs I was looking at the upper, lower, BC, bolt, firing pin retainer, bolt retainer, and buffer laying on the bench.

It was great to see one of our own doing his thing.

After the show he told me that he always carried spare parts while out. His only failure in 3 tours was a firing pin. After what I saw today I'm sure his down time was minimal. :thumbsup:

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    OK - Quick range report...
    Colt M4 - LE6920 - std sights
    1 - 20 round mag - as delivered
    1 - 30 round mag - had for 30 years and never had an AR for it...
    Ammo - 20 rounds REM UMC 55gr and 20 rounds American 55gr. Both are lower end ammo
    Range - Slightly overcast and gusty 3-5mph
    Prep - Rifle was cleaned with CLP and Bore Scrubber. Finished bore with CLP. Used Valvoline red (non-syn) wheel bearing grease on bolt and bolt carrier grooves. Lubed remainder of the bolt with Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

Only kept it at 20 yds for the first run to make sure things were running smooth, get it on paper, and to get a feel for things. It took 3 clicks right from center to get windage aligned. At this distance with the elevation bottomed out it was 3 inches low - expected. Played with elevation just to exercise the sight.

Accuracy was good (when I was trying). Shot in 3 shot groups. Several ragged holes. Mostly 1 inch groups. The last 3 rounds stayed within and inch but all fell slightly right. I think things are settling in and will probably end up back at zero adjustment after a few more runs.

Overall - Great rifle. No jams, missfeeds, etc. All rounds ended up in the same 36" area so ejection was consistent with this ammo. From here on out I think I'll try a bit better ammo and head out to 50 and 100. I'll post target pics at that time (If I'm not too embarrassed) :D - For me...it was a blast

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Great range report! Very detailed! I've never shot a Colt, but I hear they're nice. Sounds like you really understand the basics, at least better than I do :thumbsup:

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Was at the range again. Same prep as before but went out to 50 yds. This was luck... 6 shot group with only one flier. The other groups were horrid but fun never the less...

Lucky-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom