• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    The search function turned up very little:

Anyone ever taken a k98 action and created a 9.3x62?

I have a scrubbed action, and am interested in doing so. Midway/brownells don't show barrels, any ideas?

tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I have seen larger caliber Mausers. I think they were 9mm and 11mm (or maybe it was 11.5mm). It was a while ago, so might be a little off on the caliber. I think they were manufactured that way, because they looked original. They were in a local pawn shop.

redeyed

Apr 1, 2015
    if your still looking to build a 9.3x62 , there is a huge following of that round , and with that a huge amount of knowledge over at "canadian gun nuts" . ( if this is considered advertising , i apologize as it was not my intent ) .

last summer i finished completing a rebuild of a 1600 husquvarna ( think 98 mauser with a small ring barrel ) .
    i went from 270 to 9.3x62 improved .

i found a barrel in 9.3 off of a 96 mauser . set the barrel back a turn and rechambered it .
    i had to open up the feed rails a bit due to the difference in width in where the rounds sit in the magazine .
    then i was using a 40degree shoulder , so that required some extra massaging to get it to feed smoothly .

the feed rails where hardened on my rifle .

i also opened up the magazine as big as possible and then opened up the action as much as i dare .
    ( overall length of some of my rounds is almost 3.6 ").

i got my reamer from dave manson , of manson reamers . i found him to be very knowledgeable and easy to talk to . he is also swamped with work , so you need 2 or 3 months lead time before you get the reamer .

while i love the gun i built , there is a much simpler way ( that i still might try ) .

buy yourself a stainless savage axis in 30-06 .

find a company that does 9.3x62 prefit barrels

once you get your barrel , unscrew the 06 barrel and screw in the 9.3 barrel , set the head space and your good to go .

hope this helps someone :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OR .... To have fewer issues with opening up magazine and feed rails, go with a ctg based on the x57 case , ie 9.3x57 or 9x57 . Bbl dimentions vary on orig europaen guns , but in modern times 9x57 is done with std .358 bore size, and whatever moose/ elk/ bear you shoot with it won't notice the .008 difference in bore size. For that matter a .358Win is an option also.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    The savage idea is a good one...so is rechambering a 9.3x57.

I'm still pondering this but am grateful for all the feedback.

The savage in 30-06 would need a bolt face change too, and that might be a challenge to find in 9.3x62, or even 8mm mauser for that matter, unless my google isn't showing something.

There's a couple of guns I'm watching and will make something happen soon.

Thanks to all

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a 9.3X62 I built about ten years ago. It's on a four digit Brno action. I did not encounter any issues with feeding from the original magazine, well or rails. It IS a CIP standard configuration (not improved as redeye's) and a large ring action as opposed to the small ring 96 mentioned previously. With model differences noted, both are designed for the same family of cartridges so perhaps the modified cartridge was the primary feeding issue? :shrug:

Anyway, it's a neat cartridge, comparable to the .35 Whelen but with much more history. IIRC I sourced the barrel from Midway or Numrich as a LR Mauser "closeout."
    The rifle wears express sights on a bench-made 1/4 rib and during "filing in" the sights, my son complained of "pinching" of his right hand. The stock of course had developed a crack from the tang, through the wrist despite efforts to relive the tang and bed & anchor the stock securely. The split has been repaired but I will likely eventually install a wrist bolt for future security. Something you may consider in your design.

Very cool rifle / cartridge combo described by the late Finn Agaard as "like a faithful old plow horse who just keeps getting the job done."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom