• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Took the class this past weekend and (learning from Hogarth) wanted to get some notes down before I forgot them all!

Class was full of team and individual drills focusing on shot placement over anything else. All shots were fired on head sized bullseye targets and we taped up misses after almost every drill. Larry would demo a drill then we would shoot it. He would then offer suggestions on how you could do something better/differently. He is definitely an accuracy first trainer. There were 19 students for the class but 2 couldn't make it back Sunday.

Day 1 - All handgun. Started with a couple simple drills like 5 shots off hand, 5 shots strong hand, 5 shots both hands to give us a reference point for later. I believe this was done at 7 yards. We then went into Larry's method of prepping and resetting the trigger for each shot.

LAV most certainly hates the trend of teaching where you fire then hold the trigger back, then slowly release the trigger waiting for the click then take your follow up shot. This is exactly how I was taught. He thinks it is among the top training scars that causes LEO's to crank off so many misses during an engagement. I probably won't do the explanation justice but he thinks that method causes people to focus too much on that reset "click" that they then crank off the next shot immediately after hearing the click when the need arises to shoot quickly. Instead he teaches to release the trigger during recoil (which your finger naturally likes to do anyway) then prep the trigger to the "wall" and focus on your next shot. Subtle difference but I see where he is coming from.

He also teaches to use the slide stop to drop the slide after reloading. It is certainly faster and if LAV hasn't worn out his slide I doubt I'm going to wear out mine. We asked about the gross motor skill versus fine motor skill and I honestly don't remember his answer but it probably had curse words and something to the effect of use what you like and practice it. I should say one of LAV's favorite responses was "What the Fu** do I know". Umm 15 years in Delta and millions of rounds down range I'd say he knows more than most.

Day 2 was mostly AR until the afternoon then we mixed in transition drills. We started by zeroing our AR's the went into shooting from prone/kneeling/sitting and standing at 50 yards. I forget the timing but he has a cool drill where you start at 50 yds and have to get off 5 or 10 shots from each position then as you move closer the time limit drops for the same shots. (this is where taking notes would help). He also had some team drills that I liked where you start with the person furthest to the left. They would fire 5 rounds then the person next to them and so on. When it reaches the right end of the line that person would fire 10 rounds then you go back to the left. We did that drill with AR's and handguns and combinations of both. Also did variations of that drill as 2 larger teams and 3 smaller teams.

All in all this was a great two days of drills and practice for me. Vickers is a character and I'd love to train with him again. Just seeing him ride Dan's (Gun Connection Dan) ass was worth the price of admission! I should also note that he told us he would gear the class to our collective skill level and there wasn't any set schedule we had to stick to. We spent a lot of time shooting and running drills versus other classes where I've spent considerable time doing mag change or malfunction drills. I’m sure that ratio would have change if needed. I think I went through 250-350 rounds handgun and 350-400 AR.

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Almost forgot the most important part...pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1846 (2).JPG
      IMG_1846 (2).JPG
      39.6 KB · Views: 364
    • IMG_1837.JPG
      IMG_1837.JPG
      61.5 KB · Views: 363

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Took one of his handgun courses in Pittsburgh and though I was back in basic. He couldn't complete a sentence without a few F-bombs. :)

What did he use to autograph the slides? That is neat.

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Took one of his handgun courses in Pittsburgh and though I was back in basic. He couldn't complete a sentence without a few F-bombs. :)

What did he use to autograph the slides? That is neat.

I brought a sharpie along. Not sure how it will hold up but I don't plan on shooting them. I shoot M&P 99% of the time now anyway.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Forgot to ask you, are they the Vickers Tactical Signature GLOCK?

I have both the 17 & 19 in dark flat earth, maybe it is the picture, but yours don't appear to be dark flat earth.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    LAV most certainly hates the trend of teaching where you fire then hold the trigger back, then slowly release the trigger waiting for the click then take your follow up shot. This is exactly how I was taught. He thinks it is among the top training scars that causes LEO's to crank off so many misses during an engagement. I probably won't do the explanation justice but he thinks that method causes people to focus too much on that reset "click" that they then crank off the next shot immediately after hearing the click when the need arises to shoot quickly. Instead he teaches to release the trigger during recoil (which your finger naturally likes to do anyway) then prep the trigger to the "wall" and focus on your next shot. Subtle difference but I see where he is coming from.

This. That is why if you watch him shoot pistols, it looks like he is slapping the trigger. Your explanation was spot on. It's like resetting the trigger "from the front" instead of from the "back" to the click. It's just important to know where the click is.
    I don't think it's the trending reason why LEO's crank of misses, I think it's stress. I doubt many agencies really take the time to teach/train trigger reset, especially under stress.

Class sounds fun. I wish I had the $$$ that you guys have for these :)

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Glad you had a good time. I'm registered for his Eagleville, PA class in April and was looking for info about how his classes are conducted. Glad to hear he is a good instructor.

I too would like to know how your gear held up and what you took with you.

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    How did your gear hold up? What Rifle? What lubricant did you use?

Thanks for posting this.

Gear held up great. I ran only a belt setup with 2 AR mag holders and 2 pistol mag holders. A few people ran chest rigs but we had plenty of time to stuff mags and rarely needed more than 2 full mags for any drill.

I ran a Glock 17 with Inforce light and the Safariland ALS holster. My holster ended up being a PITA because one of the emails about the class said no Serpa holsters and I've been running the Serpa with M&P Pro 9mm for years. I did get the okay to bring the Serpa but I'm going to continue taking classes so this will probably keep coming up. May as well make the switch. Problem was I couldn't find a Safariland for my M&P anywhere so I ended up running the Glock with a Safariland ALS I had from a couple years ago. The Glock is a little modded 17 with a Zevtech trigger and night sights. No issues at all with the Glock and I actually don't remember any ammo failures either.

My AR is one of the same ones I brought to your class so I knew it would be good to go. Seekins lower, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 scope, Velocity trigger, Daniel Defense chrome BCG, Spikes 11.5 barrel with dynacomp brake, (I apologized to the guys shooting on either side of me). I'm still a little torn over the Strike Eagle. I'm a hair faster getting shots on target using an Aimpoint or Prismatic but once I get past 50 yards having magnification is a huge plus.

I use Mobile 1 on all of my guns and like them good and wet! :D We had a couple people run into issues due to not enough (or poor quality) lube. Larry said that was another thing he is seeing more and more of. People showing up thinking their gun can run dry or nearly dry and ending up having problems. He likes lube and agrees with you that pistols and ARs should have plenty of it.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Glad you had a good time. I'm registered for his Eagleville, PA class in April and was looking for info about how his classes are conducted. Glad to hear he is a good instructor.

I would take the Eagleville class if it wasn't the same weekend as AMIS with Craig Douglas.

Here is a bit if a primer on what to take to classes (in general):

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/preparing-for-your-first-firearms-class/

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Pwoolford, thanks for the review. Although Vickers is obviously a huge name in the industry, I've read a lot of mixed reviews on his classes. Some love them, while others say he was basically punching the time clock. Glad to hear that you seemed to get a lot out of it.

The one drill you sort of described sounded like one of the drills I know Howe uses in his carbine classes, where you start prone at 100, then run in to 75 prone, then 50 kneeling, then 25 standing, and then 7 standing. I forget the name of the drill.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gear held up great. I ran only a belt setup with 2 AR mag holders and 2 pistol mag holders. A few people ran chest rigs but we had plenty of time to stuff mags and rarely needed more than 2 full mags for any drill.

I ran a Glock 17 with Inforce light and the Safariland ALS holster. My holster ended up being a PITA because one of the emails about the class said no Serpa holsters and I've been running the Serpa with M&P Pro 9mm for years. I did get the okay to bring the Serpa but I'm going to continue taking classes so this will probably keep coming up. May as well make the switch. Problem was I couldn't find a Safariland for my M&P anywhere so I ended up running the Glock with a Safariland ALS I had from a couple years ago. The Glock is a little modded 17 with a Zevtech trigger and night sights. No issues at all with the Glock and I actually don't remember any ammo failures either.

My AR is one of the same ones I brought to your class so I knew it would be good to go. Seekins lower, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 scope, Velocity trigger, Daniel Defense chrome BCG, Spikes 11.5 barrel with dynacomp brake, (I apologized to the guys shooting on either side of me). I'm still a little torn over the Strike Eagle. I'm a hair faster getting shots on target using an Aimpoint or Prismatic but once I get past 50 yards having magnification is a huge plus.

I use Mobile 1 on all of my guns and like them good and wet! :D We had a couple people run into issues due to not enough (or poor quality) lube. Larry said that was another thing he is seeing more and more of. People showing up thinking their gun can run dry or nearly dry and ending up having problems. He likes lube and agrees with you that pistols and ARs should have plenty of it.

That's a great summary. Thanks pwoolford. :D

I'm SHOCKED that guns with light lube had problems. SHOCKED, I say. ;)

Winebike

May 11, 2009
    Thanks for sharing your training experience with Vickers. It's nice to hear divergent points of views from different instructors. In the end, whatever works best for you best under stress is the way to go. BTW, I wouldn't wanted to have been standing next to you either while you were shooting your 11.5 inch barrel AR and dynacomp brake! LOL

eddiejclayton

Oct 18, 2011
    Hanover, PA

I'm also registered for his class in Eagleville in April, this will be my first class...I'm super excited (and maybe slightly terrified)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom