• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    Hi im interested in learning how to shoot long ranges to participate in f-class and other long range rifle competitions. I know that theres a course around thats taught by some military snipers but i think those are over (plus expensive). Is there any club, person, or course that could teach me and my friend how to shoot long range? Thanks for any help.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Join us at the Modified F-Class shoots the first Sunday of each month at Quantico. It is always a learning experience. :thumbsup: I hadn't shot longer that 200 yrds before I went there.

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    Join us at the Modified F-Class shoots the first Sunday of each month at Quantico. It is always a learning experience. :thumbsup: I hadn't shot longer that 200 yrds before I went there.

Is there any way for newbies to learn or ar we just gonna be thrown in a match and told to do our best? Ive tryed to find some of the mathamatical models to calculate external balistics so i can get familiarized with the calculations befor i actualy shoot but i cant seem to find any. Thats the only thing i can think to try to learn with out tutoring.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    It is kind of set up as an informal match so that you can get coaching and ask a ton of questions. Like I said it is a great place to learn and fun at the same time. :thumbsup: MD Shooters always has a good showing there.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    As herr.baer said, join us on July 5 and give it a try. There is a lot of good stuff on the web. Just need to dig it out and ignore all the comments from the people who have never shot 1000 yds :)

Here is a link to a pretty good balistics calculator.
    http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.0.cgi

All you really need is the adjustments to get your rifle on the paper at the various ranges. I shoot a .308, 175 SMK's, 26" barrel, 20 MOA base, rifle sighted in at 100 yds, and use the following adjustments as a starting point.

800 yds 25.75 moa
    900 yds 31.0 moa
    1000 yds 37 moa

The fun begins in learning how to deal with the wind and changing conditions.

-Russ

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    As herr.baer said, join us on July 5 and give it a try. There is a lot of good stuff on the web. Just need to dig it out and ignore all the comments from the people who have never shot 1000 yds :)

Here is a link to a pretty good balistics calculator.
    http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.0.cgi

All you really need is the adjustments to get your rifle on the paper at the various ranges. I shoot a .308, 175 SMK's, 26" barrel, 20 MOA base, rifle sighted in at 100 yds, and use the following adjustments as a starting point.

800 yds 25.75 moa
    900 yds 31.0 moa
    1000 yds 37 moa

The fun begins in learning how to deal with the wind and changing conditions.

-Russ

Thanks this should be helpfull. Does any one know any equations i could use at a range? i found some equations on wikipedia under "Trajectory of a projectile" can anyone tell me if these would be usefull?

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Tazer... I'm a LR newb and am planning on attending the July 5th match. Instead of being the FNG we can be the FNG's!!!! From my understanding the F class matches on the first Sunday at Quantico are modified which means you can receive coaching.

As for classes I have heard that Vern at Central Virginia Tactical is as good as they get.

Hope to see you July 5th!!!

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Bridgeville Rifle club has three 600 yard matches on July 12th. It is allot easier to shoot at 600 yards then start at 800 yards and go to 900 and 1000. It will give you a good idea on what to expect without the additional frustration of the longer ranges.

Link
    http://www.bville-rifle-pistol.org/

Good luck

Jerry

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hi im interested in learning how to shoot long ranges to participate in f-class and other long range rifle competitions. I know that theres a course around thats taught by some military snipers but i think those are over (plus expensive). Is there any club, person, or course that could teach me and my friend how to shoot long range? Thanks for any help.
    Courses can be expensive, but the value one receives with respect to getting a jump up the learning curve and with not wasting time and ammo trying to re-invent the wheel will offset the investment in a good course.
    This is a very good suggestion, and a great opportunity to learn a least some of the nuances of long range shooting.
    Is there any way for newbies to learn or ar we just gonna be thrown in a match and told to do our best? Ive tryed to find some of the mathamatical models to calculate external balistics so i can get familiarized with the calculations befor i actualy shoot but i cant seem to find any. Thats the only thing i can think to try to learn with out tutoring.
    Thanks this should be helpfull. Does any one know any equations i could use at a range? i found some equations on wikipedia under "Trajectory of a projectile" can anyone tell me if these would be usefull?
    First thing to do is get over the urge to make this too complicated. Trying to learn assorted formulas, especially trajectory predictions, is IMO the hard way to go about this. The need for formulas is limited to using a reticle to find target distance, finding elevation values for intermediate distances and adjusting for wind direction.

In this computer age, there are many good software packages out there and there is no need to learn trajectory calculations in longhand unless it's just for "fun". I run Sierra Infinity, and the JBM site online has a great calculator tool that's free.
    Tazer... I'm a LR newb and am planning on attending the July 5th match. Instead of being the FNG we can be the FNG's!!!! From my understanding the F class matches on the first Sunday at Quantico are modified which means you can receive coaching.
    There are new people at every match, and the opportunity to shoot with and learn from more experienced people is large.
    As for classes I have heard that Vern at Central Virginia Tactical is as good as they get.
    Vern Harrison is a great instructor and has a LOT of talent, both shooting and teaching. If at all possible, you should try to book some time with Vern before he goes into retirement, because after that, you might end up getting stuck with someone else :D :http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?showtopic=26312&st=0

I would suggest working first on getting your gear in shape, such as having your rifle fit you properly and getting your scope set for your correct eye relief and the reticle focused for your eye.

Then, it's basic marksmanship to work on good shooting habits and positions. Refine your trigger control through good dry-fire practice.

If you're not familiar, getting some help now will go far toward preventing trying to "un-learn" bad habits and incorrect methods later on.

Once the rifle is set up properly and your close range skills are tuned up somewhat, the added challenge of long range becomes more a skill and less a stunt. You can learn to read wind, which has an increasingly more profound effect as we move further back.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ed, why aren't you teaching this stuff? Seriously - if you aren't already doing it, you could probably hook yourself into a pretty decent side business, just from guys who know you from here.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ed, why aren't you teaching this stuff? . . .
    . . . you should try to book some time with Vern before he goes into retirement, because after that, you might end up getting stuck with someone else :D :http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?showtopic=26312&st=0 . . .

Word... :evilwhip:

Vern-announce.jpg

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Thank god I'm one of his previous students.:D

Seriously, met Shep this weekend Ed and he's a good guy, I don't think he could have passed the torch to two better guys than you two. Now when are we training together.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    I hate to hijack the mans thread but.
    Congratulations Ed, I know you have been working on this deal for awhile.
    I wish you all the best in your new career.
    hope you still find time to shoot F-class with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom