• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Good news Ed, glad its to the point you can let the cat out of the bag. Im sure youll give MDSF people first dibs on registration, right? :poke:

tazer101

Jan 6, 2009
    So ive decided just to practice with my spotter up till july 5th and wing it at the modified f class. Can any one tell me requirements for it? Caliber limitation, age requirements, times, range lengths, registering info ect. And could any one tell me if my r700 with a 26 inch bull barrel and vsr stock is a good gun to shoot long range with? Thanks for all the help guys.:D

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks herr.baer.
    So ive decided just to practice with my spotter up till july 5th and wing it at the modified f class. Can any one tell me requirements for it?
    Most of your questions will be answered at herr.bear's links above.

Caliber limitation None

age requirements Minors welcome, but must be capable of being safe around firearms and under supervision of an adult who can legally sign a waiver of liability for the minor.

times 0815 is a good time to arrive

range lengths 800, 900 & 1k

registering info ect. No pre-registration necessary. show up and sign in, pay the $35 fee and shoot. There will be a thread along shortly looking for a headcount so we can figure out how many pullers to hire. You can please confirm over there to assist planning, but it's not registration or compulsory.

And could any one tell me if my r700 with a 26 inch bull barrel and vsr stock is a good gun to shoot long range with?
    .308?

If so, if it will shoot Lapua 155 Scenar bullets, Hornady 168 A-Max bullets, Sierra 175 or heavier MatchKings (Federal Gold Medal), M118LR 175s or Black Hills 175s, it will get you to 1,000 or better. What is needed is high ballistic efficiency, to reach 1k and still be super-sonic, which the above bullets possess.

You will have to be able to dial or hold approximately 38 MOA of elevation to get dead on at 1,000 yards, so your scope/mount combo needs to be able to achieve this. If you can zero at 100, then determine that you can move the bullet up 38-40 MOA (19"-21" at 50 yards), you're set. Most hunting or varmint scopes will not make this if they are on "flat" (zero slope) bases, and a 20, 25 or even 30 moa base may be needed.

Take as look at the links herr.baer posted, then ask away if there are more questions. :beer:

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    How good would a RRA NM 20" Ar do at 1000? I am thinking being the lone open-sighter there since I am shooting the XTC match this weekend, I fig give me a good pratice for 1000 maybe :)
    So Ed, whats your Pro opinion on this?

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    To learn to shot long range: Go down to local recruiter's office and join the Marines. We are ALL taught - and are proficient at - how to precision shoot with open sights at 500yds with the M16A2. After that, consider Scout/Snipers. :D

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    How good would a RRA NM 20" Ar do at 1000? I am thinking being the lone open-sighter there since I am shooting the XTC match this weekend, I fig give me a good pratice for 1000 maybe :)
    So Ed, whats your Pro opinion on this?
    There are other open sight divisions of F-Class (Match Rifle), so you might not be the only iron sighter there. A few months back, a few o fthe Butner boys came up with their Match Rifles, and one of the locals shoots his on occasion. The smaller bullets will be hard to spot if you're not on paper, but if you can get on the backer, you should be GTG with 77-80-90 grain bullets, and there's plenty of time to single load. You can go prone slung if you want to emulate high power, or you can use a front rest or bipod with a rear bag.

I can't make the XTC match this time, I have a long range steel match on Sunday and can't do both, but we will be at the July 5th F-Class shoot.

To learn to shot long range: Go down to local recruiter's office and join the Marines. We are ALL taught - and are proficient at - how to precision shoot with open sights at 500yds with the M16A2.
    Nice.

:D If by "precision" you mean hitting a B-27 torso someplace with most of your shots, then yes, they DO teach you guys precision shooting.

Back to the sort of precision shooting we're talking about here, the X-ring is 5", the 10-ring is 10" and we *start* at 800 yards. Winning scores are usually above 475 (possible 500), so it takes a LOT of 10s to do well.
    After that, consider Scout/Snipers. :D
    There are several 8541s that shoot this match with us and do occasionally win F/TR division, so it IS possible. We'd be glad to have you join us, and most of us always happy to learn a thing or two - why don't you come on down and show us all the results of *your* training. :thumbsup:

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    There are other open sight divisions of F-Class (Match Rifle), so you might not be the only iron sighter there. A few months back, a few o fthe Butner boys came up with their Match Rifles, and one of the locals shoots his on occasion. The smaller bullets will be hard to spot if you're not on paper, but if you can get on the backer, you should be GTG with 77-80-90 grain bullets, and there's plenty of time to single load. You can go prone slung if you want to emulate high power, or you can use a front rest or bipod with a rear bag.

I can't make the XTC match this time, I have a long range steel match on Sunday and can't do both, but we will be at the July 5th F-Class shoot.

Nice.

:D If by "precision" you mean hitting a B-27 torso someplace with most of your shots, then yes, they DO teach you guys precision shooting.

Back to the sort of precision shooting we're talking about here, the X-ring is 5", the 10-ring is 10" and we *start* at 800 yards. Winning scores are usually above 475 (possible 500), so it takes a LOT of 10s to do well.There are several 8541s that shoot this match with us and do occasionally win F/TR division, so it IS possible. We'd be glad to have you join us, and most of us always happy to learn a thing or two - why don't you come on down and show us all the results of *your* training. :thumbsup:

:sad20: Tard. I was making a half serious suggestion, don't get all butthurt Army on me. Last I checked you guys don't qual past 300yds and not everyone IN the Army even does it so don't knock us. I wonder how many Army infantrymen (11Bs, right?) could even hit the PAPER at 500yds? I wasn't a Scout/Sniper so I'm not making any claims (nor have I ever) regarding my particular skills but if you pay for gas and ammo I'd be glad to come shoot with you. Perhaps we would both learn something....I do still shoot with some regularity for my job. ;)

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Now Ed, the man obviously doesn't know the definition of precision shooting. Minute of man in the Corps is sufficient for battle proficiency but is no where near a 5" or 10" circle at 1,000 yards X-Factor.

Perhaps we would both learn something....I do still shoot with some regularity for my job. ;)

Trust me here X-Factor, the learning would in all likelihood be a one sided venture.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Now Ed, the man obviously doesn't know the definition of precision shooting. Minute of man in the Corps is sufficient for battle proficiency but is no where near a 5" or 10" circle at 1,000 yards X-Factor.

Grunts don't use that sort of precision at 500yds (because grunts are entirely stupid, right?), but the snipers do (which you should know). Either way, at 500yds I'M a LEAST putting your head down if not putting a hole in it. 500yds to a true sniper (regardless of branch, Army certainly has a respectable sniper community) in his element is a starting point.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Grunts don't use that sort of precision at 500yds (because grunts are entirely stupid, right?), but the snipers do (which you should know).

Wow, don't know where the stupid inference comes from but having been in a unit that was full of grunts I wouldn't say they were stupid at all. Actually, most snipers do not shoot at 5" targets at 1K, they practice on body size targets for qual and they then have a choice to hone their skills beyond what Sniper school teaches or requires for sniper qualification. But we aren't talking about snipers we are talking about precision shooting.

Either way, at 500yds I'M a LEAST putting your head down if not putting a hole in it. 500yds to a true sniper (regardless of branch, Army certainly has a respectable sniper community) in his element is a starting point.

Having been a 4th award expert with the M-16 made me aware of hitting targets at 500 but in no way prepared me for precision shooting. You should come down and get a feel for what it's like some time.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    All gripes/debate aside, I would seriously love to. Wish I had a 1,000yd capable rifle and skillset though...best thing I have is an ancient scopeless Mosin Nagant M44 and some slighty-better-than-milsurp ammo, no way in hell can I reach out and touch at 1,000yds with it in it's current form.

E.Shell's remarks seemed elitist and anti-Marine Corps, which I take personal offense to. I gave the Corps 4 years (infantry, security forces and brief TAD to military police) and don't regret a single second of it. I'm sure both of you would kick my ass in long distance precision shooting. I've never gotten any real training in that department, the majority of what I know and have been taught is tactical shooting and "minute of man" (very clever phrase btw) short range (less than 200yds these days) shooting. Would I relish the opportunity to learn long distance precision? Absolutely. Will I ever get it? Highly doubtful.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    E.Shell's remarks seemed elitist and anti-Marine Corps, which I take personal offense to. I gave the Corps 4 years (infantry, security forces and brief TAD to military police) and don't regret a single second of it. I'm sure both of you would kick my ass in long distance precision shooting. I've never gotten any real training in that department, the majority of what I know and have been taught is tactical shooting and "minute of man" (very clever phrase btw) short range (less than 200yds these days) shooting. Would I relish the opportunity to learn long distance precision? Absolutely. Will I ever get it? Highly doubtful.

Ed wasn't bashing the Marine Corps, believe me, I know Ed very well. He was however pointing out to you that there is no comparison between precision shooting and what you were talking about. Having given the Corps a few more years than you did and with a specialized unit that was trained better than any grunt unit I am aware of, I can say that precision shooting is a true test of self discipline like I have never experienced in any of the stuff I did in the Corps as far as shooting goes.

I would invite you to come out and shoot with us, it's not far for you to drive as compared to most of us. I would be more than happy to let you shoot my rifle if you'd like to give it a whirl, you gotta supply you're own ammo though.:) I have to get my scope fixed first though which should be done and ready for the shoot in August if you'd like to make plans to join us then.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Damn. Tall order. Well I have a few months to convince my better half that I NEED to do this and find the ammo LOL. Also trying to convince her that a tactical corset would be an excellent addition to her wardrobe. :D

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Damn. Tall order. Well I have a few months to convince my better half that I NEED to do this and find the ammo LOL. Also trying to convince her that a tactical corset would be an excellent addition to her wardrobe. :D

Tell ya what, if you can't scrape up the money or find it then I will supply the ammo, you just show up and be ready to shoot, fair enough?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom