• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I like to jog at 5:30 AM. I like to test gear out. I like to jog with a little extra weight. Would I be breaking any laws by jogging with a chest rig that has loaded mags in it?

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    It is actually not a terribly uncommon sight. I see UMD ROTC kids running with flak jackets, helmets, and PT gear all the time on the trails around campus. Sometimes they ball out and wear BDUs and boots.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    You could fill the pouches with something other than loaded mags, for weight, if your neighbors are that retentive.

Q

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    You could load it with "soft" diving weights which are basically nylon bags full of lead shot. That would avoid any legal issues. Of course someone is still possibly going to call the cops about some loon running around in "body armor" or a "bomb vest"

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It is actually not a terribly uncommon sight. I see UMD ROTC kids running with flak jackets, helmets, and PT gear all the time on the trails around campus. Sometimes they ball out and wear BDUs and boots.

The UMD ROTC guys got the cops called on them once during their Thursday night lab in Acredale Park. Granted, some of them were playing OPFOR with ski masks and black tops over their ACU's. It was February 2013 right after the Newton.

I think it's a bad idea to do so unless it's a common sight.

Dec 31, 2012
    Wouldn't you look like you were wearing a suicide vest?

That was my first thought.

I don't want to watch you on LiveLeak getting taken out by the police sniper. It's going to be the sniper because everyone else is going to stay away from the guy wearing the 'explosive' vest.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Two suggestions. Get armor plates and a concealable plate carrier. OR get a plate carrier that is in a GOOD GUY color. No tac black. No FDE. Something like OD Green that semi blends. And use mag carriers with covers. Less stuff poking out, and less chance of it falling out.

Also and I do not usually recommend this but a hat that has a good guy organization. Police, FBI, Army, Air Force, etc.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If you're doing it a 0 dark 30 and you want to check your gear, just put a road vest on over your carrier. You'll disguise the carrier just enough, and the bright vest would just cause passers by to think you're trying to remain visible in the dark.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    But that's not as cool as going action figure therapy so your neighbors know how cool you are

LOL...throw in the skimask and start shouting obscenities and he'll be the talk of the town.

---------

OP: IANAL, but I remember some law of MD saying that loaded mags are not a firearm. So, technically, yes...you could. Just don't be surprised if the police start following you in a cruiser and want to ask you some questions. I recommend that if you want to test the rig, find something that weighs similar to the mag that fits in the pockets and go with that. No live ammo and the police shouldn't even give you a second look.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    They make weighted workout vests for this purpose.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind.

I used to run a trail by the University of Tennessee campus with a weighted vest that was black. Got stopped once by UTPD asking why I was wearing a bullet proof vest. Once I explained to him it was just a vest with weights, he shook his head, called me crazy and went on.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    LOL...throw in the skimask and start shouting ALOHA SNACKBAR and he'll be the talk of the town.

---------

OP: IANAL, but I remember some law of MD saying that loaded mags are not a firearm. So, technically, yes...you could. Just don't be surprised if the police start following you in a cruiser and want to ask you some questions. I recommend that if you want to test the rig, find something that weighs similar to the mag that fits in the pockets and go with that. No live ammo and the police shouldn't even give you a second look.

Fixed

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Zero OPSEC? Really?

For fcuks sake, wear a 3X sweatshirt over whatever set-up you want to jog with.

If you don't take advantage of a simple solution like this then its easy to suspect your goal is to make the ladies swoon and faint and grown men tremble-- not exercise.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I say jog through patterson park. You'll be far less likely to be harrassed for carrying loaded magazines.The Police there have bigger fish to fry...like juveniles weilded medieval weaponry and homemade 2x4 stringed contraptions.

JVP409

Jan 31, 2013
    Bel Air
    Actually you should try that down in the mall area of DC around the monuments. Lots of joggers down there, I'm sure you would just blend in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom