[LEOSA] Weak hand - two handed shooting. Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I recently did my LEOSA re-qual. One of the strings of fire was several rounds using your weak hand, but using your strong hand for support. After decades of military and LEO training, this is the first time I've encountered this.

Educate me. If I have two hands available, why would I use my strong hand to support my weak? I've always thought weak hand shooting was to be utilized when you strong hand was out of action.

I shoot a couple of times a week, and shooting one-handed with my weak hand is a common drill...Why would I practice using my weak hand with strong hand for support? Genuinely curious.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    If you have to shoot around an obstruction/barrier on your left side, you can still, somewhat, engage while keeping your body hidden.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    If you have to shoot around an obstruction on your left side, you can still, somewhat, engage while keeping your body hidden.
    Fair enough. But the difference in grip vs. "exposed body" in such a scenario is mm in measurement. Done right, off side obstructions do not hinder strong side grip.

Given the purpose of the LEOSA qual (and some of the guys I've seen on the range doing it), I just don't see that as a legitimate requirement for qualification.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Are they making you use you perfectly fine strong hand to help support your weak hand? Or are they saying use your bloody and shot-up strong hand/wrist/forearm to support your weak hand?

I always felt weak hand shooting was in case your strong hand was no longer usable. AKA Bloody stump, but you're still in the game.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Are they making you use you perfectly fine strong hand to help support your weak hand? Or are they saying use your bloody and shot-up strong hand/wrist/forearm to support your weak hand?

I always felt weak hand shooting was in case your strong hand was no longer usable. AKA Bloody stump, but you're still in the game.
    There's no explanation. Just "weak hand - two handed shooting".

I'm not smelling whatever they're cooking here...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is the reason. Because the LEOSA qual has to be a "police qual".

That's the only reason.

That being said, my actual work equals, I always shot left hand on my 15 yard barricade rounds because it was easier instead of leaning over.

LEOSA I couldn't give a shit less.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Strong side injured where you cant get a good grip?
    This sounds like a valid reason (I'm not LEO)
    You are right handed and you injure your right index finder to the point it can't pull a trigger, what do you do and did you train for it?

This reminds me of a video of a guy with one hand and how he reloaded his pistol putting it back his holster

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I recently did my LEOSA re-qual. One of the strings of fire was several rounds using your weak hand, but using your strong hand for support. After decades of military and LEO training, this is the first time I've encountered this.
    Who was running the range? This is the Maryland State Police course requirements.

MSP QUALIFICATION 29-14

Attachments

• Live Fire Courses.doc.pdf
      77.1 KB · Views: 36

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    We've shot weak hand (sorry... non dominant hand for the SWAT guys) for years in my department. Supported and unsupported. Perhaps an injury to your strong hand that doesn't allow you to shoot, but still gives you enough motor control to provide a more stable platform?

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Who was running the range? This is the Maryland State Police course requirements.

MSP QUALIFICATION 29-14
    Harford county SO.
    We've shot weak hand (sorry... non dominant hand for the SWAT guys) for years in my department. Supported and unsupported. Perhaps an injury to your strong hand that doesn't allow you to shoot, but still gives you enough motor control to provide a more stable platform?
    Yeah. Weak hand only strings of fire have always been part of training and quals. The "partially injured / lightly usable" strong hand just didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, more of a curiosity than anything else.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Good job spoon.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Is the non-dominant hand the submissive hand?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Educate me. If I have two hands available, why would I use my strong hand to support my weak? I've always thought weak hand shooting was to be utilized when you strong hand was out of action.

I shoot a couple of times a week, and shooting one-handed with my weak hand is a common drill...Why would I practice using my weak hand with strong hand for support? Genuinely curious.

Immagunna go out on a limb here and guess it’s because certain people were unable to qualify weak hand only … when faced with the reality of bringing certain people “up” to existing standards, the bureaucrats’ way out is to always, simply (quietly) take the path of least resistance and lower the standards for everyone ….:innocent0

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Immagunna go out on a limb here and guess it’s because certain people were unable to qualify weak hand only … when faced with the reality of bringing certain people “up” to existing standards, the bureaucrats’ way out is to always, simply (quietly) take the path of least resistance and lower the standards for everyone ….:innocent0
    That actually makes sense (in a nonsensical sorta way).

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I’m with you. The scenarios should be more focused on a concealed carry aspect. Not so much on a duty scenario. Sure, as a retired officer, we might still feel the need or desire to be the police. But in all reality, standing there with your gun out, will probably make you the target of the actual police. That’s an unfortunate hazard, that undercover officers face all the time. Especially in a high stress situation. If it were me, doing the training, I’d have my trainees practicing quick drawing from their normal carrying habits. From under their shirts, no sights and all within 10’. Any other scenario, you probably have the time and opportunity, to escape and report. I do understand that marksmanship can be important, but, in all reality, the incident will happen fast, and end fast. You just have to be the faster one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Strong side injured where you cant get a good grip?

Good guess , but no ( in real world answer ) .

If strong side is significantly degraded , you're going weak only .

In a properly done two hand grip/ stance , the strength of the Support Hand is more important than the ( directly holding gun ) hand .

Trust me . A hand injury to my nominally Support hand , has made significant degradation to my two hand shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom