• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I'm working on a fiction piece that might feature a relatively lightweight (15-25 pounds) .50 caliber rifle with a 20-24 inch barrel. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Rule of Cool and adding some realism is a great way to pull in gun nut readers.

I know that there are real versions out there such as the Bohica .50 cal upper and the Serbu BFG weighs only 18 pounds in its short version. I can't even imagine the recoil on these. I've also heard that .50 caliber barrels of less than 22 inches suffer from extreme muzzle blast that puts the M82 to shame.

But I know better than to trust anonymous people on the internet, so I'll defer to you semi-anonymous people. Has anybody here shot shorter and lighter .50's?

Std30Black3QtrPlusMED.jpg

Last edited:

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i dont know much about it, but anzio iron works makes them real small and light. they say on there website they have one under 10 pounds! i think its an 18 inch barrel

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    That reminds me...

A few years back when the singer for Blues Traveler got busted and had a bunch of guns in his car (I think it was) I remember seeing a pic of the guns and he had one. So I just looked it up and sure enough.

popper_spread.jpg

Jettster

May 18, 2008
    That reminds me...

A few years back when the singer for Blues Traveler got busted and had a bunch of guns in his car (I think it was) I remember seeing a pic of the guns and he had one. So I just looked it up and sure enough.

View attachment 39920

I remember that, he had them hidden in compartments all over his car! I want to see the car!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I shot the "shorty" BOHICA arms rifle at the creek. Unpleasant to shoot, unpleasant to be next to. Not much worse than a Barrett to be shooting (but that is apples and oranges considering the "shorter" 82 Barrett is a semi and soaks up some of the recoil.) I'm not a big fan of 50cal rifles down there.....we had to hold a guy's arm down on the table while I removed a piece of partially burned powder from it, then take him to the paramedics behind the blockhouse to have them plug the leak.

Nothing like shooting the Lahti, though. I want to shoot one of the Anzio 20mm guns, but have only ever mooned over them on the table down there at the creek. Also on the list (only gonna do it once) is the Thunderer .50bmg pistol.....when I can afford teh surgery.

***EDIT***
    Please not that powder selection is a large factor in just how short a barrel you can get away with in any firearm. The use of a shorter barrel will (all other factors being equal) reduce the velocity of the projectile. The one guy down on the line that has an ultrashort M2 experiences much lower velocities, though it is REALLY cool at night.

Last edited:

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    I've shot the Serbu BFG with 29.5" barrel. Muzzle blast is nasty to the sides for about 30 feet. Recoil is like an 870 with slugs, not bad from the bench and would be fine with the bipod on a low wall while sitting, not so much fun prone but you could fire a few rounds with little ill effect.

11Bravo

NRA Lifer
    Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona the land of the FREE
    I'm working on a fiction piece that might feature a relatively lightweight (15-25 pounds) .50 caliber rifle with a 20-24 inch barrel. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Rule of Cool and adding some realism is a great way to pull in gun nut readers.

I know that there are real versions out there such as the Bohica .50 cal upper and the Serbu BFG weighs only 18 pounds in its short version. I can't even imagine the recoil on these. I've also heard that .50 caliber barrels of less than 22 inches suffer from extreme muzzle blast that puts the M82 to shame.

But I know better than to trust anonymous people on the internet, so I'll defer to you semi-anonymous people. Has anybody here shot shorter and lighter .50's?

Std30Black3QtrPlusMED.jpg

I have 2 .50 cal rifles. One of which is a Bohica Arms .50 Upper on a Spikes lower. If you ever make it up to Elk Neck area on a weekend let me know beforehand and Ill let you find out for yourself.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    That reminds me...

View attachment 39920

Never knew that about John Popper. Apparently they couldn't press weapons charges and diverted his possession charge so I guess it was really a non issue. I don't know much about .50 BMG but if Bohica comes out with a pistol upper for it then we all know who will get one...."cough"Inigoes"cough"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom