• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    little confused and hope someone here can enlighten me.

One example of what I have bought for reloading is Speer DeepCurl Bullets 50 Caliber (500 Diameter) 350 Grain Bonded Jacketed (for my S&W 500).
    I see that Speer has their own manual of Load Data and you can also get load data from websites like loaddata.com and handloads.com. You can also buy 3rd party books with load data. I think i even got some load data with my dies or press. but there seems to be tons of load data but then it tells you to beware of trying it and to refer to the manufacturer. well if im supposed to beware, then why even offer it?

the Speer, Hornady, and Nosler books seem really $$$ especially if i only need the data for one bullet. It appears that i would only would only need like 1-3 pages out of the 500+page book.

so do we really have to use the load data from these books or do we use them from other sources?

Then i read about doing it by trial and error (based off of some load data you get form some source), but then read immediately afterward that this could do harm to either you or your firearm (which makes perfect sense to me)

very confusing about what data to actually use
    everyone wants to give you load data but then tell you not to use it.
    i understand liability and a disclaimer but it isnt clear to me what data to use.

So any help would be great. thanks.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    They tell you to use at your own risk because you could screw something up in the process. By suing to use at your own risk they aren't liable if you screw something up.

Personally I just go off of hodgdons load data for their powders. If there are other sources available to me I find an average between those loads and start at the low end.

Disclaimer: I didn't tell you to do that and I'm not responsible :)

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    i would like to take back my statement on the the books being $$$. I was looking on amazon and i guess i was looking at the wrong books, because i was seeing books for over $100. I just went to Midway (where i bought most of my supplies already) and the books range from $28-$40.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think i even got some load data with my dies or press. but there seems to be tons of load data but then it tells you to beware of trying it and to refer to the manufacturer. well if im supposed to beware, then why even offer it?

Lawyers.

You need a good manufacturers source of load data, and the more the better as a Bullsh|t detector. Max loads vary even among reliable published sources and powder manufacturers change formulations over time.

You should always start a new load at the published starting load and work up from there. There are too many variables and not all of them are included even in manufacturers loading data.

One instance of load data I got with a set of dies was "interpolated" from another cartridge. I take that to mean they didn't even test it.

Then i read about doing it by trial and error (based off of some load data you get form some source), but then read immediately afterward that this could do harm to either you or your firearm (which makes perfect sense to me)

Yes. Manufacturers use test guns that are instrumented to tell them the pressure of given loads when fired. Unless you have a like setup you are going by looking for "signs" of pressure such as flattened primers and split cases. This could mean at the least that you ring your chamber, at the worst that you kaboom your firearm. I have seldom seen any signs of pressure however but I stay within published limits always.

So any help would be great. thanks.

Don't believe the nugget that manufacturer's deliberately lower their maximum loads to avoid litigation. Read what Richard Lee has to say on that subject in his loading manual.

Most of what I just wrote you should be no stranger to if you read a good reloading manual's tutorial section.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I would look at several different data from the books to get the average range for the powder you want to use. What powder and bullet do you want to use and we will look in our books to get you started?

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    I would look at several different data from the books to get the average range for the powder you want to use. What powder and bullet do you want to use and we will look in our books to get you started?

Thanks!

Its for .50 S&W
    Speer DeepCurl Bullets 50 Caliber (500 Diameter) 350 Grain Bonded Jacketed Soft Point and i have H110 powder.
    Currently have Large Rifle Primers. CCI200, im still looking for Large Rifle Magnum primers.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Here you go:
    u2y9utej.jpg

6e2a8ajy.jpg

That's from the Speer #14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members