• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Who knows? Would it be enough in court? Probably not. Would it be enough to get you in court? Maybe.

How easy is it to prevent any issues at all? Very. Pop them out if you have to ask.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Law states in the gun or magazine tube so I would go with no. Also a sidesaddle makes more sense for quick access ammo.

For the purposes of vehicle transportation, would shells in the speed-feed stock make the shotgun "loaded"?
    We usually look at exact definitions and need exact parameters when it comes to firearms. But in transport cases, maybe we should look at what would make a LEO less jumpy, like separating the ammo and the firearm altogether. I wouldn't let any ammo touch the firearm, just separate the two and have one upfront and one in the trunk/back area.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    We usually look at exact definitions and need exact parameters when it comes to firearms. But in transport cases, maybe we should look at what would make a LEO less jumpy, like separating the ammo and the firearm altogether. I wouldn't let any ammo touch the firearm, just separate the two and have one upfront and one in the trunk/back area.

With that logic, wouldn't it make an officer feel safer if you put the ammo in a locked steel case in a trail vehicle and didn't transport a firearm at all?

There really is no limit to the things anyone 'could' do, beyond what is required by law, but there isn't a problem with allowing law abiding citizens to carry loaded firearms in their vehicles in many states. If the speed limit is 70, it might make some police officers feel better if everyone drove 60. We would save a lot of lives if we just banned cars or made it as expensive and difficult as possible to own one. Then again, all the good that comes from vehicles (and guns for that matter), far outweigh the negatives. Fewer laws have fewer unintended consequences.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    With that logic, wouldn't it make an officer feel safer if you put the ammo in a locked steel case in a trail vehicle and didn't transport a firearm at all?

There really is no limit to the things anyone 'could' do, beyond what is required by law, but there isn't a problem with allowing law abiding citizens to carry loaded firearms in their vehicles in many states. If the speed limit is 70, it might make some police officers feel better if everyone drove 60. We would save a lot of lives if we just banned cars or made it as expensive and difficult as possible to own one. Then again, all the good that comes from vehicles (and guns for that matter), far outweigh the negatives. Fewer laws have fewer unintended consequences.

:goodpost:

That line is a keeper:

Fewer laws have fewer unintended consequences.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Suit yourself but I would separate them. Police very often don't know the laws all that well. They aren't lawyers and often times make the decision to arrest based on what seems reasonable to them at the time. You could be 100% in the right and still end up spending the weekend in some Podunk jailhouse waiting for the judge to free you on Monday morning. Is it worth it? That's up to you to decide.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If I was computer literate at all, I could have a whatamacallit to insert my explaination about Transport issues actually being five different discussions.

But to the direct point :

1. Under Md law, the relevant phrase refers to loaded in chamber or (attached) magazine. So speedfeed, side saddle, buttcuff, etc would be legal.

2. FOPA , the relevant phrase is Stored Separately from the Gun. So speedfeed, side saddle, buttcuff, etc would NOT be legal for interstate transport.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the statute

Attachments

• DNR 410c.jpg
      DNR 410c.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 276

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Think about it this way...

How much is it going to cost you for a Lawyer & Court Fees IF:

You get stopped & a cop takes issue with your method of transporting..???

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Think about it this way...

How much is it going to cost you for a Lawyer & Court Fees IF:

You get stopped & a cop takes issue with your method of transporting..???

And you will have to buy a new shotgun since it will be impounded until well after the case finishes. Oh wait, you probably won't be able to buy one since you will be under investigation for a firearms related charge! Second rule...don't piss off a cop if you have firearms in the car!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I needed to lean it on my car or put it down in my car for a minute I'd leave them in it, but make sure the chamber/magazine is empty. Before I drove off I'd empty it. Per FOPA it wouldn't be ok. Per Maryland statue it would be ok, but I really don't need the additional hassle if a cop does get as far as searching my trunk for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom