• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Anyone ever tried it?

We all know how much military 1911A1s love to cycle hollowpoints (answer: they don't). Given the raw amount of strength in its springs, if there was ever a WWII military weapon capable of feeding just about anything, I think it would be the Garand. Besides, with AP ammo, tracers, and other oddball surplus available, it's tempting to use the Garand as a poor man's AT rifle.

Although I've heard that very heavy loads can damage the Garand's relatively fragile operating rod, I'm curious if a Garand could function on a diet of softpoints, HP, and whatever else could be found in .30-06.

This question came about after a furious session of Fallout New Vegas.

Mods: Wasn't sure whether to put this in Rifles or C&R. Move if needed.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've shot BTHP Sierra bullets in a Garand. If I had a Garand and if it wasn't lost in a boating accident.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Anyone ever tried it?

We all know how much military 1911A1s love to cycle hollowpoints (answer: they don't). Given the raw amount of strength in its springs, if there was ever a WWII military weapon capable of feeding just about anything, I think it would be the Garand. Besides, with AP ammo, tracers, and other oddball surplus available, it's tempting to use the Garand as a poor man's AT rifle.

Although I've heard that very heavy loads can damage the Garand's relatively fragile operating rod, I'm curious if a Garand could function on a diet of softpoints, HP, and whatever else could be found in .30-06.

Mods: Wasn't sure whether to put this in Rifles or C&R. Move if needed.

Something I loaded here years ago, don't exceed 168 gr and use faster powders then things like 4350. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=10278&highlight=Garand+Loads+Natl+Rifleman+March

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I've run a few boxes of the bottom-line winchester soft-points through mine without a single hiccup. I really need to get one I can use whenever :D

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County

threadjack - if you get the Gun Runners' Arsenal pack, you can buy the battle rifle, which is a garand w/out having to do the quest. I love using the garand in that game, even if it's just a little "off" visually...

on topic - if I ever take my garand hunting I'm planning on getting the gas plug. figure it's better safe than sorry here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom