• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    A friend of mine runs a generator business and insists these people don't exist. Her example had something to do with her mech ran a test that used almost all the fuel but didn't tell anyone and then a month later the low fuel alarm went off and they had to scramble someone to turn it off and refill the tank when the original mech should have known that using X amount of fuel would drain the tanks. I'm probably wrong in something in there, but the short of it is her mechanics lack common sense.

I bet her it can't be that hard. So are any of you or the people you know skilled generator mechanics capable of a little bit of critical thinking?

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    I work on gen sets on RV's all the time. That's probably not what your talking about though. All you need is a little common sense. but that is hard to come by today.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Common sense is an uncommon virtue... amongst the masses these days. Sad times we live in bro..... :sad20:

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    A friend of mine runs a generator business and insists these people don't exist. Her example had something to do with her mech ran a test that used almost all the fuel but didn't tell anyone and then a month later the low fuel alarm went off and they had to scramble someone to turn it off and refill the tank when the original mech should have known that using X amount of fuel would drain the tanks. I'm probably wrong in something in there, but the short of it is her mechanics lack common sense.

I bet her it can't be that hard. So are any of you or the people you know skilled generator mechanics capable of a little bit of critical thinking?

Having spent the last 25 years around airplanes and vessels, I can tell you that there are plenty of skilled and conscientious mechanics out there but they ask (and get) north of $75/hour and that is probably a whole lot more than your friend wants to pay.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Having spent the last 25 years around airplanes and vessels, I can tell you that there are plenty of skilled and conscientious mechanics out there but they ask (and get) north of $75/hour and that is probably a whole lot more than your friend wants to pay.

She has mentioned that this is an issue. It's not her fault, she doesn't own the company, just manages it so has rules to follow. Her other issues is that she's having a hard time ensuring 40 hour weeks to her crews.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its about the cash; simply you get what you pay for.

Too easy to make more money, a lot more money, doing something else like IT or new cars at a dealership.

Like Alpine says, I bet she doesn't have any "mechanics" being paid more than $75k. I have not worked on generators full time for more than 25 years for this reason alone.

When her boss complains to her, she needs to bring it up.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Which company is it?

Sorry, not going to bring it up.

Its about the cash; simply you get what you pay for.

Too easy to make more money, a lot more money, doing something else like IT or new cars at a dealership.

Like Alpine says, I bet she doesn't have any "mechanics" being paid more than $75k. I have not worked on generators full time for more than 25 years for this reason alone.

When her boss complains to her, she needs to bring it up.

I'll ask them what they're paying...definitely sounds like this is the problem.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Ditto, location and cash flow are big limiters for talent...

Generators are pretty simple to repair or work on. Bearings, brushes, regulator or flash the field winding fixes 99% of them. I've flashed a Harley and even a 40' trailer mounted 16 cylinder Cat and both took right off.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I know a great generator mechanic. But he's out in Oregon, and retired.

One of the most naturally intelligent people I've ever met.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ditto, location and cash flow are big limiters for talent...

Generators are pretty simple to repair or work on. Bearings, brushes, regulator or flash the field winding fixes 99% of them. I've flashed a Harley and even a 40' trailer mounted 16 cylinder Cat and both took right off.

Computer control boards for regulation and auto start & auto maintenance can be very complicated ... a real tech would be able to trouble shoot the board rather than just depending on carrying that particular board to replace if he suspected a problem. Makes it a lot more complicated than the generator itself. You also left out all the possible motor troubleshooting needed, as if the motor wasn't even there.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    OP: tell your friend she should expect to pay 100k+ a year, provide a service vehicle, company phone, company computer, continuous factory training, and provide specialized tooling.

If they can't keep guys busy in this region, they need to close up shop, more standby generators in md/ dc / nova than anywhere else in the states.

I am an epg field service tech...

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Central Maryland location.

Hotrod, I'll get some more details and figure out what their issue is. I have a feeling that's the issue, they're getting what they pay for...

Krinklesac

Mar 21, 2013
    I've been turning a wrench for 30+ years and now run 75+ techs every day. Your generator friend needs to refine her interview questions as well as making a practical exam to prove troubleshooting skills.
    She gets what she pays for - plenty of good tech exist but she needs to do the hard work to find and then keep them.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    It's as guessed. They're getting what they're paying for. Her owner seems to think $30ish/hr...so she's getting stuck with bottom of the barrel employees. /shrug not my problem lol

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    It's as guessed. They're getting what they're paying for. Her owner seems to think $30ish/hr...so she's getting stuck with bottom of the barrel employees. /shrug not my problem lol

It depends on what perks they have. $30/ hour, with a take home company vehicle, paid for travel, and OT is not hateful.

With that being said, its either reputation or lack of steady work.

I am curious what company this is. Atleast tell me if they are an engine manufacturer's dealer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom