• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm thinking about possibly becoming a certified armorer, mostly so I can work on, and fix any of my firearms, and possibly some part time work. I'm thinking about starting with S&W, Colt, Remington, or Mossberg. So, my question is, is it worth doing? As far as cost of training, and with my planned usage of the training. Where, and how would I get the training? Is there a best place to go, or a place to avoid? Should I just learn basic gunsmithing, instead of specialized armorer training? Any help, or suggestions are appreciated.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The FFL's and gunsmiths are good sources for that as well as manufacturers.

The biggest issue with working on guns is liability. I am a certified armorer for a manufacturer on one series of pistols. I got it through an FFL I know because I did some work for him. But I am not practicing any of this on my own. If you are affiliated as a part time employee for a gunshop or smith there is suggestion of tutelage or oversight, so the expertise is implied...in theory. If you take the work on yourself, you would need to be very careful and document all work and measurements, as required. Plus you carry ALL the liability yourself. That for me is the biggest issue.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks, I was thinking part time at an established shop. That way I wouldn't have to establish a customer base, and I'd be able to gain experience. I could probably even learn some tricks of the trade that way as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most of the manufacturers have courses to be a certified armorer on their brand.

xref

May 9, 2013
    The FFL's and gunsmiths are good sources for that as well as manufacturers.

The biggest issue with working on guns is liability. I am a certified armorer for a manufacturer on one series of pistols. I got it through an FFL I know because I did some work for him. But I am not practicing any of this on my own. If you are affiliated as a part time employee for a gunshop or smith there is suggestion of tutelage or oversight, so the expertise is implied...in theory. If you take the work on yourself, you would need to be very careful and document all work and measurements, as required. Plus you carry ALL the liability yourself. That for me is the biggest issue.

What about forming an LLC to absolve responsibility to the LLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom