• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    My wife and I are looking into moving to the Frederick area. Any places to stay away from crime wise or is it all just about the same??

JasonN3ZBO

Sep 7, 2010
    Lovettsville, VA
    I would highly advise staying away from anything along Rt40. The North end of Frederick and just east of Frederick in the Spring Ridge area is pretty quiet.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    +1 on the RT 40. Anything around baker park seems nice. There were plenty of nice areas including the one I'm in but isn't lookin so hot these days. The biggest problem I see is no one can sell their house so they are renting out with property management and section 8 so its all turning to crap.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    +1 on the RT 40. Anything around baker park seems nice. There were plenty of nice areas including the one I'm in but isn't lookin so hot these days. The biggest problem I see is no one can sell their house so they are renting out with property management and section 8 so its all turning to crap.

100% This!!!!!

I hate to say it but Frederick is far from what it used to be despite how it is still occasionally portrayed to those living on the outside.

I'd be happy to have another MDS member as a neighbor but at the same time would hate to see you go through that WTF moment once you're here.

I've called it home for 40 plus years and looking back, should have gotten out 20 years ago.

If you do make the move stay away from the areas already mentioned. (Pretty much anywhere in or near Frederick City.)And BTW - Frederick City extends well beyond it's actual boundaries.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    ditto on the be careful on the RT 40 area West of town. Lots of crime, gangs and drugs. Brunswick and point of rocks are nice, as are areas north of Frederick (thurmont/Emmitsburg and Walkersville) but I don't know what that does to your commute.

I live in Spring Ridge and we have our share of 'issues' - although most of them are due to kids not being parented properly and having too much free time on their hands.

Plenty of nice areas to choose from, but do yourself a favor... subscribe to the Frederick News Post to get an idea of what goes on in the county and think about the commute you need to do. The difference between two good locations can be made by the difference in commute.

Good Luck with the move...

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I grew up in New Market, still a decent area. Spring ridge is nice but check out Middletown or the Myersville area. Great schools, pretty rural and close enough to things. Lived here the last 5 years, great area.

Jan 4, 2011
    Hagerstown,MD
    Where is there no crime at all I live here in Hagerstown and I go to Frederick and they aer about the same even the nice place to live have hot spot in them so just take your time and look at the places that you are thinking about movin in have fun and good luck.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    Just live in one of the small towns nearby Frederick. I live in Mt Airy and like it here...considering that it is still in MD.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009

This is true south of 40 and west of Willowdale Drive....

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Stay out of the city limits. Middletown, Myersville, Brunswick, Jefferson, and Buckeystown all get my vote. The south and nort ends of the county are much more laid back. All my trips to Thurmont have been good. People seem nice. Even ended up buying my truck from Bogley Chevrolet (shameless plug for some good people I wish I had met years ago).

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Lots of great areas in Frederick County and some in the City as well. Although as others have said stay away from the western portion (Rt40) section of the city. I've lived in the Western portion of the county for 16 years now. Great place to raise a family and Frederick County schools always make the national rankings (in a good way) if that's something you’re concerned about.

P.S. Don't you think Frederick County should be in the Western region and not in the Capitol region on the board?

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I think if I were considering a move to Frederick I would keep going south and west. I hear there's a place just across the river where there's no such thing as regulated weapons, handgun rosters, waiting periods, or G&S for a CHP.

I'm in Boonsboro, about 25 minutes NW of Frederick. It's a nice, but very quiet area, but there's not much here in the way of restaurants or shopping. It's about equal distance to Frederick, Hagerstown, or Martinsburg WVA. My wife works in Frederick, and even at rush hour it's only 30 minutes.

We moved here about 5 years ago from the west coast. We had hoped to get a place in Loudoun Co VA but the market there hadn't really tanked yet and the price was still too high.

Brunswick, Point of Rocks, & Jefferson are all nice places, but I couldn't live there because everytime I looked across the river I would imaging the VA residents all doing this.:rasp:

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Check out Ijamsville, Urbana, New Market, GreenValley. Probably the best place in Frederick county with easy access to commuter routes; peaceful area. Mix of people with good enough sense: hard workers, white collar, blue collar, farmers, good country men, people who like guns, etc.

SpringRidge is good too and most crimes (theft) in SpringRidge are committed by thugs traveling from Montgomery and even from Baltimore. Otherwise, it's mostly spoiled or un-parented kid pranks and nuisances. But it is also known as Swing Ridge. Leave a broom or white apron out and people will come knocking. That's what I hear, at least.

Stay away from 40 both visiting and living. I've had two close friends that were held at gun point for their purses. If you do decide to go to 40 go during the day or if at night stick to popular places such as near Outback, Famous Dave's area. Much further in...you may run into some trouble. It's funny that the county had to place fences on the middle of the road due to knuckle heads that do not understand how to use intersections for crossing the roads. That's the type of people who live there...peeps who just don't care for common etiquette.
    Also, there is a portion of downtown frederick near ft.detrick that is very bad. Just drive around...and if you see people hanging around their steps, you'll know not to live near that area.
    But mostly, Frederick overall is nice...but I only say that because I'm from LosAngeles. And I do agree that just even 10 years ago, Frederick was a different place when I moved there. I'm not moving out of Frederick. Can't get any worse than other places I've been...including IRAQ!

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    My wife and I are looking into moving to the Frederick area. Any places to stay away from crime wise or is it all just about the same??

The above posts are good advice. Personally, if its just me and the wife, I am willing to, and have tolerated a much higher crime rate area as a trade off for lower cost of living.
    If you have kids, I'd stay away from the willowdale drive area and key parkway area of rt 40, as well as south of downtown. There is also a link off of the maryland public safety webpage that will show you a map of where the registered sex offenders are.

The area mancheechee is referring to is east of the hospital off of 7th street, and toward downtown. Everyone's tolerance for crime is different. The Frederick news post isn't much of a paper, but the crime blotter will pretty much tell you where the issues are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom