• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Want to install a FF hand guard on an AR. I'll have to remove FSB, which type of low profile gas block is the better set up, set screws or clamp on? I get a lot of conflicting. The upper will be used on a FA gun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Steel Gas Blocks ONLY.

Clamp-On is best suited to Precision Rigs that dont see rapid fire or abuse.

Do not rely on set screws alone to secure a Gas Block, especially on a Full Auto. You want it Pinned.

I suggest a BCM or Geissele Gas Block. Geissele can be pinned without a Jig, BCM requires a Jig.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Steel Gas Blocks ONLY.

Clamp-On is best suited to Precision Rigs that dont see rapid fire or abuse.

Do not rely on set screws alone to secure a Gas Block, especially on a Full Auto. You want it Pinned.

I suggest a BCM or Geissele Gas Block. Geissele can be pinned without a Jig, BCM requires a Jig.

Why steel? What about titanium?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Why steel? What about titanium?

I should have elaborated more. I should have said no aluminum for a gas block.

Titanium is fine.

The problem with aluminum for a gas block is the rate of expansion when they heat up. They will heat up at a different rate than the barrel and leak gas. They are awful.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I should have elaborated more. I should have said no aluminum for a gas block.

Titanium is fine.

The problem with aluminum for a gas block is the rate of expansion when they heat up. They will heat up at a different rate than the barrel and leak gas. They are awful.

Understood. Thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do the gas tubes make a difference? Is a titanium tube worth $65? Or is there no difference?

No. Titanium is not a good application for a gas tube IMO. Stick with standard gas tubes.

Melonite tubes are available too, but they offer no measured improvement that I have observed.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Why not cut down your existing FSB?

Have gone back and forth on different advice on this. Some say keep old FSB in case I ever want to restore the upper to stock. Other problem is I don't have the tools or the place to grind off an FSB.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Can anyone recommend a low profile gas block that is steel and pins on? I don't mind cutting my sight block and reusing it as it will be hidden by the free float anyway but if there is one out there for under $50, I just assume go that route. I am anxious to get a move on with my free float barrel installation.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Can anyone recommend a low profile gas block that is steel and pins on? I don't mind cutting my sight block and reusing it as it will be hidden by the free float anyway but if there is one out there for under $50, I just assume go that route. I am anxious to get a move on with my free float barrel installation.
    You would be better served in the long run if you just cut down your present 'pinned' gas block. It's as good a gas block as you'll get, short of an adjustable one. The new gas block will likely have to be drilled and pinned on it's own, as most don't use the pin holes from an A2 front sight/gas block.

Get out the dremel and a little cold bluing and git r done... LOL

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I gotta agree with everyone saying to shop the FSB. Its the cheapest and most durable option.

Like Sticky said, unless you want adjustable gas, there no reason not to chop the FSB.

Yes, the FSB is married to the barrel, and you wont be able to put on a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom