LWRC M6A2: regulated? Not regulated? I'm lost!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schützen

Jun 5, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    I really want to get an M6A2 but only if it can be sold "unregistered"/cash-and-carry/etc. Different shops keep telling me different things. One shop told me the barrel is considered heavy so they'll sell it as unregistered but the other shops I checked said since it isn't stamped HBAR, I'd have to jump through MD's hoops.

Has anyone here purchased an LWRC in MD? What was your experience?

I'd like to get the Northwest Tactical Limited Edition version but I'd need an FFL. The shop that told me they'd sell an LWRC unregistered doesn't do transfers. Shops that do transfers can't tell me if they can sell it as such or not. So I'm kind of lost. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I really want to get an M6A2 but only if it can be sold "unregistered"/cash-and-carry/etc. Different shops keep telling me different things. One shop told me the barrel is considered heavy so they'll sell it as unregistered but the other shops I checked said since it isn't stamped HBAR, I'd have to jump through MD's hoops.

Has anyone here purchased an LWRC in MD? What was your experience?

I'd like to get the Northwest Tactical Limited Edition version but I'd need an FFL. The shop that told me they'd sell an LWRC unregistered doesn't do transfers. Shops that do transfers can't tell me if they can sell it as such or not. So I'm kind of lost. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You're unlikely to find someone to transfer it to you unregulated. Under 21? The NWT American Snipers Edition ones are ridiculously sweet rifles.

Schützen

Jun 5, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    You're unlikely to find someone to transfer it to you unregulated. Under 21? The NWT American Snipers Edition ones are ridiculously sweet rifles.
    Over 21. I'm not trying to get the FFL holder in trouble, I just don't know what the rifle is actually considered. Since I've heard conflicting things, is it solely the discretion of the seller or what?

And yes, that American Snipers Edition...:drool:

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Over 21. I'm not trying to get the FFL holder in trouble, I just don't know what the rifle is actually considered. Since I've heard conflicting things, is it solely the discretion of the seller or what?

And yes, that American Snipers Edition...:drool:

If you're over 21 then what's the big deal with dancing the 7-day dance? It's really not as bad as it seems, I've done it twice in the past couple of months (M6A3 and a stripped lower).

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I think it needs to be stamped HBAR on the barrel and reciever to be considered a sporting rifle. I could be wrong about the reciever. It could be heavy to see and touch but from what I gather no stamp=regulated

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Here's a pic of them so people know wtf you're talking about.

Attachments

• NWT_AS_rifles.jpg
      NWT_AS_rifles.jpg
      121.7 KB · Views: 527

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's not whether it IS regulated or not. The important thing is whether it is >interpreted< as regulated by the MSP......which it is. ;)

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I would wait 7 days for one no problem. Where are you picking it up?
    Here's a link to where you can get one.

2 Versions, 2 Lengths:

M6A2 version: Standard Barrel, Carbine length gas system.

M6A2-S version: Spiral fluted barrel, midlength gas system.

They come in 14.5" with permanently attached Flash Hider or 16.1"

Oh, and I should add that Matt and Marcy at Northwest Tactical are a pleasure to deal with and the price they're selling these at is a steal for all the features included. If I hadn't just bought an M6A3 from them I would seriously be considering dropping the money for one of these with the spiral fluting.

Schützen

Jun 5, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    haha good points

What are your thoughts on fluted barrels? I don't like them, I'd rather have the stronger unfluted barrel, but I like the other features of the A2-S.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    It's not whether it IS regulated or not. The important thing is whether it is >interpreted< as regulated by the MSP......which it is. ;)

Just curious, did MSP state somewhere that if it is not stamped HBAR on the barrel that it is regulated? I don't know of any guidance stating that or contradicting that, but I don't know any guidance that dictates what is a copy of an HBAR sporter either.

Since you seem to be in the know on this, what's the official word from MSP? It would be interesting to know if they have published anything stating what constitutes a copy of an HBAR sporter or an Colt AR-15 or Colt CAR-15.

Mark

PS - I think MSP enjoys a good mystery!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    haha good points

What are your thoughts on fluted barrels? I don't like them, I'd rather have the stronger unfluted barrel, but I like the other features of the A2-S.

fluted are just about as strong as the parent barrel, but have more surface area to cool down faster and less weight...plus they look neat. what's not to like?

Schützen

Jun 5, 2009
    Galt's Gulch
    fluted are just about as strong as the parent barrel, but have more surface area to cool down faster and less weight...plus they look neat. what's not to like?

Meh, it's a gimmick to me. It may cool down faster but it'll also heat up faster. I'd just rather have the unmolested barrel. Barrels do flex and there's no question that the parent barrel is stronger. Would the difference between the two really be put to the test by me? It's highly unlikely but I'm just picky like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom