• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not. If not, Mods please move it to the appropriate forum. I have received conflicting answers by otherwise knowledgeable people. Is it legal for me to purchase an M1 Carbine? I am a Maryland resident and also have my C&R license. I have been told that they are legal, just not the 15 or 30 round magazines. I have been told that they are illegal. I am looking for a WWII vintage rifle, not a modern reproduction. If you know the answer to my question, great. If not, could you point me in the right direction to receive the correct answer. I do not want to run afoul of the law accidentally. Thanks for your help.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Short answer. M1 Carbine is not on the list of banned guns. It is not a "Copy" of a banned gun. If it is a fixed stock GI carbine, it is not a "copycat" gun unless you can figure out way mount a flash suppressor and a grenade launcher at the same time.

15 and 30 round magazines are a different story.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Only version that is a problem would be an M1A1 paratrooper carbine (folding stock) that bubba put a flash hider on.

That would trip the two feature copycat test.

All others are OK, but occasionally get confused with regulated now-banned guns.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I haven't found one yet. I am just checking on the legality so my search is not in vain.

The one in the classifieds looks like a good one, small blemishes notwithstanding. (I think the hand engraved name adds character.) It has historical provenance. I have a 1944 National Postal Meter that was part of the CMP Bavarian Return program, and it's extremely satisfying.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    If I had some money left I think I would buy the one in the classifieds. I wonder if the name is the name of a soldier or if it was carved into the stock afterwards?

It reminds me of the time that me and my two brothers got all of our baseball cards mixed up. We decided that it would be best if we wrote our name on the front of the card in pen so that we don't mix them up again:innocent0

That was a mistake or at least it was when cards had value. These were all late 70's early 80s cards. Lots of them

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Those that say the M1 Carbine is legal in Maryland, I hope you are right. I tried to get a definitive answer from the MSP. They do not know.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Those that say the M1 Carbine is legal in Maryland, I hope you are right. I tried to get a definitive answer from the MSP. They do not know.

Is it an assault weapon? There are three classes of firearms banned as assault weapons. Assault Long Guns, Assault Pistols, or Copycat Weapons are all Assault weapons.

It is not an Assault long gun or Assault pistol, as it is not on either of those lists or a copy of anything on those lists.

It is not a Copycat, unless is is (1) a semi-auto centerfire rifle with any two of the following: a folding stock, flash hider, and grenade launcher; or (2) under 29" in overall length (there are fixed mag restrictions, but I'll skip those.)

So, if it isn't an assault weapon, it is not banned. It does not fit into any category of assault weapon, and is thus not banned.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I wish MSP was as sure as you guys.

MSP as in a Trooper on the phone in Licensing? Ask two of them a question and you'll get three answers. I am completely confident in what I outlined above. There are certain firearms that are banned, and the wood stocked M1 Carbine does not fit into any three of the banned categories.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    MSP as in a Trooper on the phone in Licensing? Ask two of them a question and you'll get three answers. I am completely confident in what I outlined above. There are certain firearms that are banned, and the wood stocked M1 Carbine does not fit into any three of the banned categories.

Corporal in licensing via email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom