• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't understand. Many posters here say the only way the law will change in Maryland is through the courts. The same posts have a blurb at the bottom of their post about the open holster rally in Annapolis while the GA is in session. This seems to me the rally is to sway and influence legislators not judges. I'm confused. By the way, I will take concealed carry any way I can get it.

just consider it attacking all angles.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I don't understand. Many posters here say the only way the law will change in Maryland is through the courts. The same posts have a blurb at the bottom of their post about the open holster rally in Annapolis while the GA is in session. This seems to me the rally is to sway and influence legislators not judges. I'm confused. By the way, I will take concealed carry any way I can get it.

Even a win in court is only half the battle; without public by in, life for those who carry will be hell. If we don't educate the public; they will push for laws that do everything but ban carry. Like how Chicago and DC and NYC try to skirt around not actually banning guns; but making it hell to get them. They would make it hell to carry.

We need to get our message out to everyone. A court/legislative win + Increased public sentiment is what we need.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I have always been confused about this? Did the SCOTUS rule that the right to bear arms was an individual right? (if not explain the clause to "bear" arms). If the SCOTUS has determined that fact why cant the people of this State sue at the federal level for the violation of such rights. As crazy as it sounds but if a state law is unconstitutional is it not a valid law?!(correct?) So why hasn't there been a good legal challege to what the MSP are doing by subjectively denying the law abiding citizens the full exercise of the 2nd amendment. With out disclosing a clear cut criteria for approval, in essence makes decisions on CCW secretive, bias, and discrimitory. I dont understand how a processes can be discrimitory...in devaluing a constitutional right? I would like some clearification from any lawyer on the forum.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I have always been confused about this? Did the SCOTUS rule that the right to bear arms was an individual right? (if not explain the clause to "bear" arms). If the SCOTUS has determined that fact why cant the people of this State sue at the federal level for the violation of such rights. As crazy as it sounds but if a state law is unconstitutional is it not a valid law?!(correct?) So why hasn't there been a good legal challege to what the MSP are doing by subjectively denying the law abiding citizens the full exercise of the 2nd amendment. With out disclosing a clear cut criteria for approval, in essence makes decisions on CCW secretive, bias, and discrimitory. I dont understand how a processes can be discrimitory...in devaluing a constitutional right? I would like some clearification from any lawyer on the forum.

Based on the Supreme Court rulings in Heller and McDonald, Mr Wollard sued the State of MD in federal court over their system.

He is waiting for a judge to rule. You can check out the "SAF Sues in Maryland" thread for 180+ pages of info. :)

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC

Its because the SCOTUS has no BALLS and they only take cases they can find a way to skirt around the question without having to answer it.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    i dont know why the "change through the court folks" fear the bill... its not like itll ever be signed into law anyways..

To me; it's the principal. If your for the 2A; introduce good, solid bills. Maybe you don't have to hit the ball out of the park; but introduce good bills.

THE SECRETARY HAS THE BURDEN OF PROVING THAT AN
    27 APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN PERMIT DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD AND
    28 SUBSTANTIAL REASON TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT A HANDGUN.

That is a bad bill; because it does not define what burden is necessarily.

THE SECRETARY HAS THE BURDEN OF PROVING THAT AN
    27 APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN PERMIT DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD AND
    28 SUBSTANTIAL REASON TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT A HANDGUN. THE BURDEN SHALL BE THE LEGAL STANDARD OF REASONABLE DOUBT.

That would be a good bill.

Or just

AN APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN PERMIT IS PRESUMED TO
    24 HAVE A GOOD AND SUBSTANTIAL REASON TO WEAR, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT A
    25 HANDGUN.

That would be a good bill too. You still have the objective denials; but not the subjective.

I'd rather not change the subjective system from system A to system b.

Yeah it prob wouldn't pass; but who knows. Maryland could dodge a bullet by passing this bill, approving Wollard, and then start denying again.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Centralizing the process is good. Centralizing makes it easier to fight.

Imagine if every county in MD did their own permits. You might have to fight battles in at least 6 or 7 counties; maybe more.

The bill's flaw is that although it answers the G&S question; it offers an easy out for the MSP to deny. They don't go into details about what constitutes a reason for denial, or what burden of proof is needed.

Wisconsin has training; so that's not a big deal for me. What's a big deal for me is how they make that vague statement about proving a candidate does not have a good reason.

It fails to meet the requirement of "objective" and therefore the bill cannot be considered a Shall Issue Bill in my opinion because it leaves a subjective element.

From the outside looking in....

While the changes to the G&S in this bill are awkward to say the least...they should just eliminate it...my reading is that (a)(2),(3),(4) and (5) are the grounds for denial. The applicant has the reason, the MSP must find under one of the above for the applicant to be denied.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Maryland could dodge a bullet by passing this bill, approving Wollard, and then start denying again.
    I thought that Wollard was about the validity of the Good and Substantial requirement itself, not just whether his situation fit their definition of G&S. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
    They could also pass a good bill - a true shall issue bill - then change it at the next legislative session. Or just ignore it. Any of the shall issue states could change their law back to may or no issue at any time. The only thing that will settle the issue will be a SCOTUS ruling on 2A. In the meantime I think that we should keep taking the baby steps when they present themselves and look past the BGOS.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The only thing that will settle the issue will be a SCOTUS ruling on 2A.

I don't believe that would settle it. I believe MD, CA and MA would go on as if any such ruling did not occur ... challenging DC to enforce it and locking up people wholesale who dared challenge the supremacy of the state

The MD legislature, governors and state police have already proven their disrespect for the Constitution and SC, what would make them change in the future?

This is my only tinfoil hat fear

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I thought that Wollard was about the validity of the Good and Substantial requirement itself, not just whether his situation fit their definition of G&S.

As I understand it...

What was previously G & S for Wollard was, on his renewal, suddenly not "G" or "S" ENOUGH for the board. They capriciously moved the goalpost on him.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I thought that Wollard was about the validity of the Good and Substantial requirement itself, not just whether his situation fit their definition of G&S. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
    They could also pass a good bill - a true shall issue bill - then change it at the next legislative session. Or just ignore it. Any of the shall issue states could change their law back to may or no issue at any time. The only thing that will settle the issue will be a SCOTUS ruling on 2A. In the meantime I think that we should keep taking the baby steps when they present themselves and look past the BGOS.

It comes back to the way the lawsuit is set up. Wollard; if his permit was approved under this law; would loose standing to file his lawsuit, because he has his permit.

Baby steps is a good way to go; but this bill is nothing more than switching the subjective element from the person to the state.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    So if we get legislative relief we'll get screwed.
    If we get judicial relief we'll get screwed.
    If we get no relief we are still screwed.
    Tell me why am I driving 4 hours to stand on the mall for an hour on Monday again?:rolleyes:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    To me; it's the principal. If your for the 2A; introduce good, solid bills. Maybe you don't have to hit the ball out of the park; but introduce good bills.

That is a bad bill; because it does not define what burden is necessarily.

That would be a good bill.

Or just

That would be a good bill too. You still have the objective denials; but not the subjective.

I'd rather not change the subjective system from system A to system b.

Yeah it prob wouldn't pass; but who knows. Maryland could dodge a bullet by passing this bill, approving Wollard, and then start denying again.

I thought the gist of this bill was that someone applying for their permit was "assumed" to have a good and substantial reason. It took out the part of having to prove your G&S reason.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    So if we get legislative relief we'll get screwed.
    If we get judicial relief we'll get screwed.
    If we get no relief we are still screwed.
    Tell me why am I driving 4 hours to stand on the mall for an hour on Monday again?:rolleyes:

2 hours :)

Seriously though; I think your being a bit legalistic.

This bill is a bad bill; but not all bills are bad. Dan Riley submitted a solid CCW bill; Mike has submitted solid reciprocity bills; you can write a good shall issue bill and push for it.

We just have to demand good bills from our friends and overpower those who oppose us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom