• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    I am a new owner and am looking at pistol training courses. I see the listings for the courses in Maryland. But I also see more courses and times listed in northern Virginia. I know that a Maryland handgun owner without a concealed carry permit can take his firearm to attend training course in Maryland. But can he also transport it into Virginia to attend a course there?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes. In fact, my first handgun class was in VA, over at SEG. Interstate travel is protected by FOPA.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yes.. as long you follow the MD laws while transporting. ie. unloaded, in an enclosed holster or case etc.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    yes.. as long you follow the MD laws while transporting. ie. unloaded, in an enclosed holster or case etc.

Not true, when crossing state lines you must abide by federal laws and not state laws. When going across state lines one must have the firearm and ammunition in separate compartments and in a secure case or out of arms length if you do not have separate compartments.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not true, when crossing state lines you must abide by federal laws and not state laws. When going across state lines one must have the firearm and ammunition in separate compartments and in a secure case or out of arms length if you do not have separate compartments.

that too.. ;):thumbsup:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

I think you're allowed to use the least restrictive method. Since Maryland and Virginia are both less restrictive than FOPA I don't believe that you're required to use it. You're allowed to use FOPA when going through a very restrictive state like NJ.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Yes. Once you cross in to Virginia you would need to abide by their laws. Maryland restrictions only pertain while in the state and train, I believe, is covered under MD law for transporting.

FOPA cover state in between the origin and destination. Think about the reverse of going from VA to Maryland. You have the right to transport in VA, but if your final destination is MD, you are bound by MD law even though VA is less restrictive.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    When you get to Virginia, you can either keep the gun in your trunk, or loaded on your hip in plain sight, on laying on the seat next to you in plain sight, or even in a "secure" container like your glove compartment.

Enjoy your time in Free America!

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

Federal law makes no mention of separating gun and ammo.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Federal law makes no mention of separating gun and ammo.

OOOPS, you are correct and so we don't start splitting hairs.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom