• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    So they made the magwell removable:

http://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=27&sub_id=17

Not surprisingly there isn't much info on the system, but it looks like the magwells can be removed to swap calibers. The lower itself is a steal at $499 (or about the price of a complete upper) and each magwell will set you back $275 (or less than a fully-built standard lower.) So for only the cost of an entire rifle you can have a lower that can be turned into a different rifle...

Oh yeah, "conversion" kits cost $549 and do not include an upper (just bolt, gas tube, and barrel.) I couldn't figure out if the barrels were capable of being swapped by the user in some new fashion, but according to the website their barrels will fit standard uppers so that leads me to NO.

Modular lower:
    10512277382.jpg

AK-74 magwell:
    9042780742.jpg

So there you have it folks... a worse slightly better use for your hard earned dollars than this:
    20080726-Ford-posts-loss.jpg

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Been out for a lot of years. The fact that you are just finding out about it should be an indicator.;)

BTW - the guy who came up with this made some of the first firearms for Bushmaster.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Been out for a lot of years. The fact that you are just finding out about it should be an indicator.;)

BTW - the guy who came up with this made some of the first firearms for Bushmaster.

That guy opened and built up Bushmaster. He took the money from Cerebus/Freedom/Remmington to start MGI.

They come to the Chantilly Gun Show quite often to show off their design.

Interesting Gun and concept but way over priced.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    That guy opened and built up Bushmaster. He took the money from Cerebus/Freedom/Remmington to start MGI.

They come to the Chantilly Gun Show quite often to show off their design.

Interesting Gun and concept but way over priced.

I'm not sure how it all ties together but I do know that MGI was around quite a while before Cerberus bought out Bushmaster.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Seems kinda silly considering the price. Might as well buy an entire lower for each caliber, and have a whole 'nother gun for the same price. Its not as if anyone would need to tote around multiple calibers in the field where the slight weight/volume advantage of this system would be a factor. I dunno, like I said; just seems silly. But then, I'm not an AR guy.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I couldn't figure out if the barrels were capable of being swapped by the user in some new fashion, but according to the website their barrels will fit standard uppers so that leads me to NO.

And you'd be incorrect. I'd suggest watch the video to see how it works.

The MGI upper allows barrels to be swapped at will. You should see the breifcase 'sniper system' build on the upper - flip the lever to remove the barrel and it all fits for storage in a standard briefcase.

ETA: I'd point out several of the conversion kits also include a new magazine well. For example the 9mm conversion kit includes a magazine well that accepts Glock magazines.

So for the money you get a rifle that can swap barrels in seconds (using any standard AR barrel), swap magazine wells, and use different operating systems (DI, blowback, and piston is available for those with mental health issues). IMHO it's a pretty slick system - but it comes with a HIGH price tag as has been pointed out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom