Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Night Train

Apr 21, 2024
    Delaware
    Can someone please explain to me why these events are referred to as a "buyback"? These guns were never initially bought from the government to begin with. These firearms were purchased either from a store, a private sale or were inherited. So obviously they are not being bought back. It makes no sense.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I really don't get it.

Like owning guns is somehow icky in America now.

It's icky in MoCo and the Deep Blue parts of MD, to say nothing of the other Blue Infringers.

Can someone please explain to me why these events are referred to as a "buyback"? These guns were never initially bought from the government to begin with. These firearms were purchased either from a store, a private sale or were inherited. So obviously they are not being bought back. It makes no sense.

It's not supposed to be viewed through a lens of rationality and logic.

You're supposed to think of this in the way implied in their statement. You see, the Government is buying back its permission for citizens to bear arms, because those good citizens realise that guns are basically bad, and hurtful, and will only bring death to everyone.

Yes, I know the government does not give us permission to defend ourselves, but most citizens, after a century or more of gun laws infringing on our God-given, constitutionally protected right, naturally assume that since the government has usurped and exercised control, that that's the way it's meant to be. Being reasonable, peaceful folks, they buy into the implied argument.

Of course, as they increasingly see Evil face to face in the news, and in their neighborhoods, some of them have been wholeheartedly buying guns rather than buying dotGov BS. Just the same; there's a lot of innocents remaining, and in places like MD, there's plenty of social pressure to go with the crowd on the subject.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Because the government, with corporate media support, wants you to believe that everything originates from it/them.

And people don't correct their little lies, which then become truths, and grow into bigger lies that become bigger truths.

Eventually whatever they say is the truth.

less 1984 more 1776.jpg

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Marketing.

Propaganda- is communication that is primarily used to influence or persuade an audience to further an agenda, which may not be objective and may be selectively presenting facts to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is being presented.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Call me a fool.

It was an interesting experience, only a 20 minute drive and took no more than 5 minutes on site. Must have been a dozen LEO on site, parking lot was setup one way in and out. There were two LEOs out front directing traffic to the back entrance. Two LEOs at the entrance asked what my business was, what I had and asked if they were all unloaded. Then 50 feet further down the drive one more LEO asks the same questions and got the same answers. Then to a couple of awnings with tables, a gaggle of LEOs and stack of Dunkin Donuts boxes. No joke!

I told them all what I had at least three times, two (probably) functional 22 rifles, a non functional 12 ga shot gun and a broken down Civil War era BP pistol. I felt guilty turning these antiques over but they were all in rough shape. They were left to me and had no sentimental value, but, you know, they had history. Unfortunately after hours of searching, I didn't find them to have any value and I have too much junk of my own so I figured if I could get $200 for the 22s, it would be worth the time.

The LEOs didn't ask any other questions and ack'd the condition of the non functioning pieces. One LEO gave me a sheet that said I turned in 3 long guns and 1 pistol. No notation about the condition. I was then directed up to the church where I gave the sheet to an older (than me even) gentleman who handed me a stack of flyers saying "here's the propaganda," looked at my sheet and handed me FOUR $100 Giant Foods gift cards.

To honor what I turned in, I'll be spending the net gain on one of these as soon as there's a new production run. (Assuming it makes onto the roster.)
    ca1000-1858newmodarmy-navyconv-8sq.jpg

I was referring to those who gave money to the fund to hold the buyback in the first place. I don't necessarily take issue with those that turn in junk. Though keep in mind that buybacks would not occur in the first place if people did not turn in guns in sufficient quantities to justify such events.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I was referring to those who gave money to the fund to hold the buyback in the first place. I don't necessarily take issue with those that turn in junk. Though keep in mind that buybacks would not occur in the first place if people did not turn in guns in sufficient quantities to justify such events.
    hell i have several 80% lowers i'll prolly never finish, considered bringing one up for the hell of it, but it states they must be functioning, which then would require me to commit a crime to complete it (they aren't serialized, which is why they aren't completed etc etc) and then they only give FOOD cards... I need cash since I'm not working.

TruthAloft

God, Family, Country -- In that order, always.
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2021
    Annapolis
    Haven't seen it mentioned yet, also note the next-to-last paragraph

Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20​

The D.C. Area Interfaith Gun Violence Prevention Network is collaborating with the Montgomery County Sheriff and State’s Attorney to organize a gun buyback event on Saturday, April 20, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event will take place in the parking lot of the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley at 13421 Clopper Rd. in Germantown.

Established in 2017, the Interfaith GVP Network comprises volunteers from over 40 churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples actively engaged in gun violence prevention efforts, working alongside congregants, clergy, and other advocates to address and mitigate gun violence issues.

Partner organizations supporting this initiative include the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley and Pax Christi Metro DC-Baltimore.

According to a press release, the April 20 event marks the first upcounty faith-based gun buyback, responding to an increase in gun violence incidents in recent years. Previous successful buybacks were conducted in Baltimore, Rockville, and Upper Marlboro last year.

Community members can anonymously surrender firearms and receive food store gift cards valued at $100 for functional handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and $200 for operational military assault-style weapons and privately made firearms (“ghost guns“). No identification is required, and law enforcement follows a no-questions-asked policy. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will assess the firearms, and the Interfaith GVP Network will determine gift card eligibility while providing gun safety guidance.

Montgomery County Sheriff Maxwell Uy guarantees that all surrendered guns will be permanently destroyed with no components repurposed. Participants must stay in their vehicles, transport unloaded firearms in the trunk, and are prohibited from having ammunition in the guns. The sponsors may restrict the number of gift cards per individual, irrespective of the weapons surrendered. Non-functional firearms and ammunition will be accepted without compensation exchange. Gift card availability is limited.

Additionally, the Interfaith GVP Network is seeking financial backing from Montgomery County businesses, network members, faith groups, foundations, county offices, and the public to support this buyback. The goal is to raise a minimum of $30,000 to remove at least 300 guns from the streets, amounting to an average of $100 per gun.

<head shaking> Still is beyond me how the government can "buy back" that which it did not sell in the first place? Nomenclature discussions aside, such programs have been proven time and again to be grossly ineffective, and what makes it worse is that the government is using tax dollars to pay for such nonsense. My two cents.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nomenclature discussions aside, such programs have been proven time and again to be grossly ineffective, and what makes it worse is that the government is using tax dollars to pay for such nonsense. My two cents.
    I think this is being paid for by an outside org. It's not about effectiveness but rather about effect. Feeling virtuous while responding in a way that you're told is good, while not stepping on the toes of the actual protected peeps, plays right into the hands of their handlers.

People are easy to manipulate; this has been proven time after time. Using fear and hope to override reason is a tool of long standing. It's why our school systems have been dumbed down. A thoughtful population is hard to manipulate.

Wjmarshall84

Dec 26, 2022
    Calvert
    <head shaking> Still is beyond me how the government can "buy back" that which it did not sell in the first place? Nomenclature discussions aside, such programs have been proven time and again to be grossly ineffective, and what makes it worse is that the government is using tax dollars to pay for such nonsense. My two cents.
    They are just accepting the firearms the church is sponsoring the "food cards" maybe it's called a buy back because they are required to provide for the milita so they should be providing them. The last law or action related to the people as a militia they stopped 30 or so years ago requiring radio transceivers to be able to operate in functional interoperability with or by militia or military, and I'm not sure if we are still required by the milita act of 1779 to keep and maintain arms, their respective devices and ammunition sufficient to function in a state of invasion. Maybe they just have no Idea what they are doing... this is my guess, I know Someone has to be in command but you'd be surprised at how much they buy into whatever the local politics are selling.
    If they get to use their stick they don't often ask why so I wouldn't go on the simple grounds in MontCo youd have to break the law simply to get there and anyone going is going to give up their own biometric data while on police body cameras. Don't think they'll finger print the guns but wouldn't suprise me either. I work with AI and that might be their primary objective, to collect data on the people associated with "ghost guns" whatever the heck they are apparently the definition keeps changing to suit the anti-constitutional agenda..

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Today is the day. Somehow they nearly got enough fools to get them close to their monetary target.

This always bugs me as a lover of the Bible. There is nothing unbiblical about wanting to stop crime or even being anti- gun, though I obviously disagree with the position. But the Bible verse that talks about turning swords into plowshares is not talking about anything like the this gun buy back. It sounds good and the verse is familiar enough that it is catchy, but it actually misses the point.

The verse which is from Isaiah refers to the time after Jesus returns and destroys all evil. There is no more war and no more crime SO there is no more need for swords. Jesus’ reign is also so beneficial that they will need more plowshares to harvest all of the crops. It is clearly not talking about now.

Isaiah 2

He shall judge between the nations,
    And rebuke many people;
    They shall beat their swords into plowshares,
    And their spears into pruning hooks
    Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
    Neither shall they learn war anymore.

in contrast, the prophet Joel wrote of a time before Jesus returns when there was a ton of evil going on:

8 And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the children of Judah, and they shall sell them to the Sabeans, to a people far off: for the Lord hath spoken it.
    9 Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:

10 Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

It is not a direct order to the church and there are a lot of reasons why Christians may take the non-violence position, but the point is Joel 3’s direction is a lot closer to the target than Isaiah’s.

Wjmarshall84

Dec 26, 2022
    Calvert
    This always bugs me as a lover of the Bible. There is nothing unbiblical about wanting to stop crime or even being anti- gun, though I obviously disagree with the position. But the Bible verse that talks about turning swords into plowshares is not talking about anything like the this gun buy back. It sounds good and the verse is familiar enough that it is catchy, but it actually misses the point.

The verse which is from Isaiah refers to the time after Jesus returns and destroys all evil. There is no more war and no more crime SO there is no more need for swords. Jesus’ reign is also so beneficial that they will need more plowshares to harvest all of the crops. It is clearly not talking about now.

Isaiah 2

And rebuke many people;

in contrast, the prophet Joel wrote of a time before Jesus returns when there was a ton of evil going on:

8 And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the children of Judah, and they shall sell them to the Sabeans, to a people far off: for the Lord hath spoken it.
    9 Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:

10 Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

It is not a direct order to the church and there are a lot of reasons why Christians may take the non-violence position, but the point is Joel 3’s direction is a lot closer to the target than Isaiah’s.
    You cannot be mighty or peaceful without first training and preparing for life. You afford your family protection from the evil of the world today differently then they did but no country outlawed being strong sure they might kill the strong and this was war. We are a society firmly founded on peace and liberty forgoing physical strength and using our minds we have "the great equalizer" and it is being removed by force, as when the strong were killed, taking the strength we have to protect our families is war. Luckily we are Not there yet, the gun is new in the grand scheme. The serializing of firearms is what our voted in politics ask for but they do so out of fear. If this much effort was spent solving the drug epidemic we'd all be in a safe and sober society..
    Democracy is like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep asking for another vote.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Isaiah 2

And rebuke many people;

BIBLE. revisit the David & Goliath story again.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    BIBLE. revisit the David & Goliath story again.
    Not sure if I was clear in my post, but as my gun closet attests, I am not anti-gun. The point was the buyback people are wrongly quoting the Bible to justify what they are doing. It is only Jesus returning and destroying all evil that allows the destruction of weapons.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    C&R eligible handguns don't even need an HQL to purchase. So if you refuse to get your HQL then just buy handguns made more than 50 years ago. That is how my wife got her CMP 1911 without an HQL.
    Within Maryland, all handgun transfers (including C&R handguns) must go through FFL or MSP. If a C&R licensee purchases from out-of-state, it comes direct to their door. CMP purchases are like out-of-state C&R purchases, direct to your door (no C&R license needed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom