• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'd like to get a semi auto shotgun evenually. I don't really need an AK or AR looking shotgun, but my 1st choice a Benelli M4 seems too far off pricewise to aquire. The price I have seen is $1700, and probably well worth it. However if I start saving as soon as I get to around $1000 a car will break down, house will leak, appliance will die, kid will get sick or need dental work, etc. The Mossberg 930SPX is around $700. I know it's not a Benelli, nor will it be no matter how much I do to it. Reviews I have seen online have been mixed with older ones having issues cycling cheap brass and canted sights, but newer models have gotten decent reviews. Anyone here own one and have any insight? Thanks

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I see these at some of the 3-gun matches I went to. The only people who had issues were the ones who added a side-saddle shell holder. Of course they over-tightened the screws which screws up feeding, but other than that they were pretty reliable.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I have been considering that very same choice between the M4 and 930 SPX. I have shot the Benelli and it is sweet, but I like the idea of diverting the $1000 difference for other toys. Interested in more comments from 930 owners.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Love mine, runs great.

Ditto. Tons of fun with mine at the AAFG action shotgun matches. Works fine with mesa side saddle too. No issues with 00, truball rifled slugs, pdx12 hd rounds, 7.5 and 8 shells, haven't run 9 through yet. Recommended for the price point. The jm pros are nice too.

I got mine with the intent on buying a second 28" barrel for clays, however they've been out of stock for the past two years. That'd be my only criticism.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Mine runs great, eats anything. Only grip is the usual loose handguard, I need to fix that at some point.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have both a 930 JMPro and a 930 Tactical. Both have been reliable as long as you put the right ammo in. My JMP does not like the soft aluminum bottoms of Win Value pack ammo. I have had the extractor rip a groove in one of these before. Federal Value packs seem to work fine. I don't use a sidesaddle either because it just makes the gun heavier and it is easier and faster to load from the belt using caddies or Load 2 racks.
    Anyone interested in a longer mag tube the factory 9+1 tube and spring from my JMP is available for sale. Switched to a RCI Xtension tube (10+1) this winter. I could put it on my Tactical but I used that for only 1 3-gun match before getting the JMP so I now use it for HD and the extended 7+1 tube I have on it is sufficient.
    The 930 JMP does not have a loose handguard issue from what I can tell, at least mine does not. You need at least 3 chokes for 3-gun, IC, Mod or Lt. Mod, and Full. Some steel knock-off plates are not only heavy, they have a lip on the front and you often need to use Rem #6 Express loads with a full choke to get them off 1 for 1. Most of the time Mod or Lt. Mod is fine. I use the IC for slugs. I also don't use the Mossberg chokes, I use a set of Carlson Sporting Clays extended stainless steel chokes. That way I can take them off by hand between stages if needed. I run a velcroed 2 round holder on the foregrip in front of the chamber on the right side in case I forget to count and run out of rounds before I run out of targets. The 930 will not let you load the mag if there is not a round in the chamber as the loading gate stays down blocking the mag tube. You can ghost load an extra round on the loading gate of the 930 but this is only important if they let you do it and your shotgun only has a 7+1 mag tube (max 9 rounds in shotgun before the buzzer except in open division).

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Search function is your friend. ;)

Quite a few of us own 'em, have yet to hear any real complaints. Mine stovepiped on lighter loads the first time I took her out. Ran a few boxes of 00 buckshot through her and the kinks worked out. FYSA, the recoil spring will handle magnum loads fine, but you'll still feel it. Think of it like a Mosin-Nagant, shoulder "adjustment". :D

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I had one , it was a fun gun to play with at the range and it ate everything I ever ran through it from low brass #8 up to 3" brenneke rotwiel slugs. I still found myself reaching for the 590 every time I "needed" a shotgun .

JDBoss

Quiet Professional
    Nov 8, 2010
    Florida
    Love mine, always performs flawlessly. As others have said, seems to eat anything. Favorite though...... Breneke KO slugs, big holes!

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Love mine, have shot federal bulk target loads, Remington max (kick ass) and low recoil through it no problem… My only regret is I didn't get the pistol grip version, but thats not the guns fault… Luckily its a inexpensive upgrade.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have both a 930 JMPro and a 930 Tactical. Both have been reliable as long as you put the right ammo in. My JMP does not like the soft aluminum bottoms of Win Value pack ammo. I have had the extractor rip a groove in one of these before. Federal Value packs seem to work fine. I don't use a sidesaddle either because it just makes the gun heavier and it is easier and faster to load from the belt using caddies or Load 2 racks.
    Anyone interested in a longer mag tube the factory 9+1 tube and spring from my JMP is available for sale. Switched to a RCI Xtension tube (10+1) this winter. I could put it on my Tactical but I used that for only 1 3-gun match before getting the JMP so I now use it for HD and the extended 7+1 tube I have on it is sufficient.
    The 930 JMP does not have a loose handguard issue from what I can tell, at least mine does not. You need at least 3 chokes for 3-gun, IC, Mod or Lt. Mod, and Full. Some steel knock-off plates are not only heavy, they have a lip on the front and you often need to use Rem #6 Express loads with a full choke to get them off 1 for 1. Most of the time Mod or Lt. Mod is fine. I use the IC for slugs. I also don't use the Mossberg chokes, I use a set of Carlson Sporting Clays extended stainless steel chokes. That way I can take them off by hand between stages if needed. I run a velcroed 2 round holder on the foregrip in front of the chamber on the right side in case I forget to count and run out of rounds before I run out of targets. The 930 will not let you load the mag if there is not a round in the chamber as the loading gate stays down blocking the mag tube. You can ghost load an extra round on the loading gate of the 930 but this is only important if they let you do it and your shotgun only has a 7+1 mag tube (max 9 rounds in shotgun before the buzzer except in open division).

Ya mine has gobbled everything I have given it, including some really old paper loads that needed disposed of. The loose handguard isnt a big deal as when you install a front sling mount it will tighten up, I just need to get around to it.

One of my favorite guns.

Cleaning is a pain, as with most gas operated shotguns.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Seems to run pretty good without cleaning. Got mine in Sept. 2012, used with about 100 rounds thru it (guy won a Benelli so sold his 930 JMP). Have not cleaned it as yet after 7 3-gun events and range practice days. Still runs fine. May finally get around to cleaning it before the 2014 season starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom