• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    So I have heard of bolt action shotguns before but never seen one in person. I saw in Scott's thread that he had a Junk/beater gun for sale in his thread for $75. I will admit it looks pretty bad. I was looking for a project gun and was intrigued in the gun so I picked it up.

I hope to use this thread to document my journey through the repair process just because I thought others may like to see the work in progress. I hope to post pictures and update the thread as I complete certain stages of work.

Here is how the beast started its life:
    11.jpg

Attachments

• Mossberp395kabreakdown395KA.jpg
      Mossberp395kabreakdown395KA.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 288
    Last edited:

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    The original owner spray painted a camo job and it was wearing off pretty bad and was simply covering the majority of the rifle. Alittle elbow grease and some cleaning and here is how she looks:

Attachments

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 296
    Last edited:

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I am now about to wax the stock to bring back the luster. If you guys can help, anyone know what this mount belongs to? It was mounted when I got the gun but I am not sure what is compatible with this type of mount.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      69.8 KB · Views: 274
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 286
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 301

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I had the 16 gauge variation. Hands down, one of my favorite all time shotguns. I wish I had never sold it. A bolt action Mossberg is back on my short list.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I had the 16 gauge variation. Hands down, one of my favorite all time shotguns. I wish I had never sold it. A bolt action Mossberg is back on my short list.

I fell in love with this gun when I saw it and new I had to bring her back to life. I was shocked but the shotgun has sights similar to a rifle. Perhaps a very early version of the now all too popular slug gun genre of shotguns.

I love her shes a beuat!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I fell in love with this gun when I saw it and new I had to bring her back to life. I was shocked but the shotgun has sights similar to a rifle. Perhaps a very early version of the now all too popular slug gun genre of shotguns.

I love her shes a beuat!

:thumbsup:

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    My buddy was given a bolt action 12 gauge by his dad years ago. His dad had sawed it off to minimum length. I forget who makes it, but it sure is different seeing a bolt action 12 gauge!

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    That looks like a #2 Weaver side-mount scope base. Check places like Midway for the rest of the parts to mount a scope.

Right on thanks Macho! I plan to set her up as a slug gun but the Bolt is in terrible shape. I think once I get the bolt squared away I am gonna have to take her to a GS just to have the headspace checked. It appears the Bolt index plunger has somehow made its way into the extractor keyway and an extractor has gone missing. The lug has also been a little marred (assumedly when the index plunger dislodged) but am not sure whether this will have impact on the action.

If I can obtain an entire bolt I will do so but this is dependant on what I can find. It is memorial day weekend and everything is closed but on Tuesday I will start making calls.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    After close examination of all of the parts of the bolt assembly, I determined that the front and rear portion of the bolt had been damaged and the firing pin was bent. One extractor was missing and the index plunger had been peened over. This shot gun appears to have been fired out of battery. Most likely because of a problem with the index plunger not keeping the bolt in proper alignment.

I decided that with 70% of the bolt having one issue or another it was not worth trying to buy parts at all for this bolt.

I managed to track down a supplier of second hand parts for this shot gun and a new bolt should be on its way within a few days. I will continue to update this thread as soon as the replacement bolt hits my door..

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Hey newq, just out of curriousity, where did you go for that replacement part? I have to get a new bolt for a Western Field 12 gauge, as well as a stock.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Good going, looks good, I hope the new bolt works out for you. 40 years ago I had a 36"barreled bolt action goose gun, I think it was a Mossberg or a Marlin, wish I still had it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is the site I used.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I don't know how they are to deal with as this is my first purchase with them although, they had all the parts for this shotgun cataloged and for sale which says alot for a firearm this old.

They are GREAT to deal with and they have parts that nobody else will have. I've probably been dealing with them for over 35 years.

newq

Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    They are GREAT to deal with and they have parts that nobody else will have. I've probably been dealing with them for over 35 years.

good to hear. I was impressed at the number of parts and schematics they had for older firearms. It is no doubt an impressive feat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom