• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ONN2000

Jun 13, 2023
    Maryland
    Hi all,
    Been reading this forum for a while and find a great deal of information for someone like myself - gun enthusiasts.

I moved to Maryland about 6 months ago with 4 handguns, I knew that MD has 90 day for time span "voluntarily" register guns. I did register online 2 handguns with no problems, but somehow between my travels in last few months forgot to register the other 2. ( I know dumn of me) So my questions is - if I do online application to register 2 other handguns, I know I missed 90 days deadline, - from member opinions: I there penalties involved ? What worse case scenario that could happen ? Not planning to buy any new guns for a few years
    All your feedback appreciated

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hi all,
    Been reading this forum for a while and find a great deal of information for someone like myself - gun enthusiasts.

I moved to Maryland about 6 months ago with 4 handguns, I knew that MD has 90 day for time span "voluntarily" register guns. I did register online 2 handguns with no problems, but somehow between my travels in last few months forgot to register the other 2. ( I know dumn of me) So my questions is - if I do online application to register 2 other handguns, I know I missed 90 days deadline, - from member opinions: I there penalties involved ? What worse case scenario that could happen ?
    All your feedback appreciated
    Oddly, several hundred thousand people have been arrested in the commission of felonies- murder, rape, armed robbery, carjacking- they don't have HQL's or handgun permits, never 'registered' anything.

They don't get charged.

MSP handgun registration: USE THE PORTAL.

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.
    The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.
    The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

Here's the STATE POLICE FAQ;

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ONN, not suggesting any law breaking or offering legal advice of which I am not legally authorized to do, nor would I do it online or in person.
    As I see in the link below, there is apparently a Voluntary and a Mandatory registration.
    Voluntary: The registration of a regulated firearm that is not required by Maryland State statute... were legally purchased in another state by an individual who resided in that state who established residency in the State of Maryland and moved their estate belongings into the State of Maryland prior to October 1, 2013, an individual who possesses regulated firearms or other types of firearms not previously registered in the State of Maryland who desires to register it), or an individual who performed a secondary sale of a regulated firearm in Maryland prior to the Gun Violence Act of 1996 (effective October 1, 1996).

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ision/Registration/VoluntaryRegistration.aspx

The Mandatory Registration part:
    Individuals who have established residency in Maryland on or after the enactment of the Firearms Safety Act on October, 1, 2013, are required to register their regulated firearms via the New Resident Program. You can find more information on New Resident Registry by clicking here.

Having scanned through these links, I feel that the section about the 90 days is definitely lacking in detail. Much like the OP's first question, " SO, what is the penalty for missing the 90 day deadline?"

Also, when did you purchase these 2 guns that you didn't register before 90 days?
    Was it prior to Oct 2013?

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Dug around a bit- here's the actual STATUTE​

-----------------​

Md. Code, Pub. Safety § 5-143​

5–143.
    (A) (1) A PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE STATE WITH THE INTENT OF
    BECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE
    SECRETARY WITHIN 90 DAYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY.

(2) THE SECRETARY SHALL PREPARE AND, ON REQUEST OF AN
    APPLICANT, PROVIDE AN APPLICATION FORM FOR REGISTRATION UNDER THIS
    SECTION.

(B) AN APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION UNDER THIS SECTION SHALL
    CONTAIN:

(1) THE MAKE, MODEL, MANUFACTURER’S SERIAL NUMBER,
    CALIBER, TYPE, BARREL LENGTH, FINISH, AND COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OF THE
    EACH REGULATED FIREARM; AND

(2) THE FIREARM APPLICANT’S NAME, ADDRESS, SOCIAL
    SECURITY NUMBER, PLACE AND DATE OF BIRTH, HEIGHT, WEIGHT, RACE, EYE
    AND HAIR COLOR, SIGNATURE, DRIVER’S OR PHOTOGRAPHIC IDENTIFICATION
    SOUNDEX NUMBER, AND OCCUPATION.

(C) EACH AN APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FILED WITH THE
    SECRETARY OF STATE POLICE SHALL BE ACCOMPANIED BY A NONREFUNDABLE
    TOTAL REGISTRATION FEE OF $15, REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF FIREARMS
    REGISTERED.

(D) REGISTRATION DATA PROVIDED UNDER THIS SECTION IS NOT OPEN
    TO PUBLIC INSPECTION.
    ----------------------

There is absolutely NO PENALTY in law for 'not being registered.'

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think the State having someone even know about this law much less comply with it would make their day.
    I'll bet 80% of State Troopers have no idea about it.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have read somewhere the MSP wont go after anyone who registers after the 90 days. IIRC the person was told that by the MSP.

I think the MSP would rather have them registered late than not at all. They want to know about them, and thats more important than to them than getting a gotcha on those who do it late.

again not legal advice. But I bet you could reach out and ask, I can even do it as a Qhic and say its a student asking if you would like.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I think the State having someone even know about this law much less comply with it would make their day.
    I'll bet 80% of State Troopers have no idea about it.
    Well, to add more info for the OP since he is new to the "State"

Learn and pay attention to Md Laws. The law makers have done their best to make it a crime to have a gun wherever or whenever we may need it.

Here is what is supposedly permitted.
    Under Maryland’s Criminal Law in Section 4-203, states that an individual transporting a firearm in Maryland has some exceptions. These examples include:

• If they are carrying a handgun on their person
    • in their vehicle or the person is transporting a handgun to or from a legal purchase or sale
    It is acceptable to wear, carry, or transport firearms for organized military activities:

• Target Shooting
    • Formal or Informal Target Practice
    • Sporting event
    • Hunting
    • Department of Natural Resources sponsored firearm or hunter safety class (and others like it)
    A Maryland gun collector can transport guns from their collection, private and public, for an exhibition. A handgun can be transported by a person to Maryland real estate that a person owns or leases or where the person resides or to a business establishment that a person owns or leased. Otherwise, a person who does not meet one of the above exceptions is prohibited from transporting, shipping, or moving a firearm in any way or else they risk arrest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where I would get tripped up if I were being technical, is I fail to see other places that I could have transported my firearms.
    Would I be transporting them illegally? If I were to take my pistol to a friend's house to have him look to see if it was working properly? Or to a Gun Shop, or to my father's house in a bad neighborhood if I was wanting to spend the night there? How about if I own a home in one county, but that home has been burglarized? Am I legal to transport them to my sister's apartment even though I do not live there?

Where are the exhaustive lists of detailed scenarios under the letter of the law.

Dear Md Govt, make it clear and complete where it is legal vs illegal? The real life valid places. Not just the postage stamp areas you are trying to leave us as gun permitted zones.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I think the MSP would rather have them registered late than not at all. They want to know about them, and thats more important than to them than getting a gotcha on those who do it late.

again not legal advice. But I bet you could reach out and ask, I can even do it as a Qhic and say its a student asking if you would like.
    You would think this might be the case. BUT I am not looking to be a test case, and I am sure the OP isn't either.
    FU MD and the MGA for passing the stupid Act of 2013 and any other BS infringements from as far back as the 60's etc.

DealeBill

Nov 22, 2021
    Are you referring to the 2 handguns that you recently went back to the storage place in your old state, recovered, and now want to register?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Now that you have informed yourself about some of MD gun laws infringements, you presumably must comply, under the penalty of not being criminally exempt.

Imagine the freedom ignorance could have brought.

Enjoy your stay in the people's Republic. Aren't you glad you came?
    BTW, what's in your wallet?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Well, to add more info for the OP since he is new to the "State"

Learn and pay attention to Md Laws. The law makers have done their best to make it a crime to have a gun wherever or whenever we may need it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where I would get tripped up if I were being technical, is I fail to see other places that I could have transported my firearms.
    Would I be transporting them illegally?
    YES, without a valid Handgun Permit.

If I were to take my pistol to a friend's house to have him look to see if it was working properly?
    ILLEGAL
    Or to a Gun Shop,
    LEGAL.
    or to my father's house in a bad neighborhood if I was wanting to spend the night there?
    ILLEGAL.
    How about if I own a home in one county, but that home has been burglarized? Am I legal to transport them to my sister's apartment even though I do not live there?
    PROHIBITED.
    Dear Md Govt, make it clear and complete where it is legal vs illegal?
    The only legal options are specified in the statute.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I will repeat what was posted above as far as the Statute. I got this first part off a Lawyer's website.

by Baltimore firearms possession defense attorney Brandon Mead.

It is hard to argue that Maryland’s jurisdiction is one with some stringent laws on transporting firearms. The need for owners to have a legitimate need when transporting them, coupled with transportation provisions, is somewhat confusing. Suffice to say; it is legal to transport firearms and to an extent illegal. Therefore, legal issues arise during the transportation process, and you might find yourself facing trial in court.

Here is what you need to know about transporting firearms in Maryland.

Section 4-203 of Maryland’s criminal law – firearms transportation laws.

Maryland Gun Laws​

Section 4-203 of Maryland’s criminal law makes it illegal to wear, carry or transport a handgun regardless of whether it is concealed or in the open. However, there are exceptions relating to transporting firearms, which, as provided in section 4-203 of the statute, allow individuals to transport them. Those exceptions among others include:

• Transporting a gun to or from a legal purchase or sale
    • Bona fide gun collectors provided it is unloaded and enclosed
    • If you are transporting a gun for organized military activities:
    • Target shooting
    • Hunting
    • Sporting events
    • Formal or informal target practice
    Otherwise, failure to meet the exceptions provided in the statute relating to firearms’ transportation is a subversion of the law, and you risk arrest.

What Amounts To Legal Transportation?​

To avoid violating the law, you need to ensure that you do the following as part of the best practice:

• If you purchase a gun, ensure you go home directly.
    • If you intend to go to a gun range, it is imperative to head home after doing so.
    • If you are going to fire a weapon, the law provides that you must not drink or do drugs while at it. Additionally, the statute prohibits driving under the influence with a firearm in the vehicle.
    An important fact to note is that the law requires that Maryland gun owners keep receipts to show where they are coming from. Also. If you intend to use public means, you need to be aware of the prohibitions regarding the transportation of firearms in public transport. It is unlawful!

How To Legally Transport Firearms​

The safety of both the gun owner and the firearm is paramount. Therefore, measures to ensure you comply with the regulations regarding transportation include:

Ensure you store the firearm in a compartment. In such a case, you should store the firearms separately from the ammunition. If you intend to put it in a trunk, ensure that the truck has a safe or locked box for storage. Essentially, you should store it away from any individual’s reach in the vehicle. This prevents intruders or anyone from accessing it while driving.

Restricted Persons​

A previously convicted felon is not qualified to transport firearms. If found to be transporting firearms unlawfully, such persons are prosecuted based on the violation of the law relating to transporting firearms and by virtue of being disqualified from doing so.

Out- of- State Residents​

The law in Maryland is not relaxed even on out-of-state residents. The majority of persons found to be transporting firearms are usually residents from other states. Often, their firearms laws in their states are reasonable; thus, they go by the assumption that they can invoke a permit in other states where necessary. However, in Maryland, conceal licensing permits are distinct from other states. Therefore, it is hard for them to evade arrests when found transporting firearms.

The Penalties​

Tough criminal sanctions back the stringent laws. Therefore, offenders might find themselves facing criminal convictions with a minimum mandatory jail sentence of thirty days and a maximum sentence of up to 3 years.

However, those persons with previous convictions under section 4-203 are subject to imprisonment for not less than one year or not exceeding ten years.

ONN2000

Jun 13, 2023
    Maryland
    Thanks to all who replied, MD laws are twisted though,
    MSP could't give an answer on penalties for missing 90 day
    deadline, so I will go ahead and register 2 guns, before I forgat about it again, at least I will be in compliance.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ONN2000, We are glad that you came here for help. Needless to say, don't be afraid to ask any questions that may arise.

We are a diverse bunch and some member deal directly with Gun Rights legislation and our rights.
    I also totally urge you to finding out what MSI is and how the folks from MSI are one of our biggest advocates to preserving our rights and in fighting to prevent further restrictions or outright banning our Constitutional rights.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom