• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I've been an MSI member, or not, for years. Even simple things, like is membership based on the calendar year or an out-of-synch fiscal year of which I am no aware, vex me, I don't know if my membership is current or not. My goal is to help!
    Log into the MSI website and check your membership status, your membership year is the date you joined/renewed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    On the Outreach side, there are 50,000(?) potential new recruits right now to be hitting the bricks in Annapolis next session. How many by January? 250,000? That would be a HELL of a march that would swamp all the Moms Demanding Some Action (from the poolboy while the hubby is at work)

If I could get access to the mailing list of every W&C instructor, here is an email I would draft

Dear class attendee:

If you applied for your permit after the ($200-$500?) 16 hour class, you should shortly be in receipt of your permit. Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it. A least for the next 6-9 months or so anyway.

I don't know your political persuasion, but it doesn't really matter if you vote (R) , (D) or none of the above. You see, a large segment of the Maryland General Assembly, (You know, those same people you just automatically pull the lever for every November... thats if you bother to vote at all) and several organizations are REALLY pissed that you have that little card in your wallet now. Foaming at the mouth with spittle flying pissed.

Well, those cats plus some new ones that get elected in November are getting ready to meet in Annapolis from Jan 11th through April 10th next year to pass these things called "bills" that get turned into "laws" (go watch School House Rock on Youtube if you don't understand). And they have no shortage of "Good Idea fairies" who are dreaming up ways to make the life of you and your fellow new permit holders completely miserable... if not turn into instant criminals. While they may be smart enough to know they can't outright reverse what just happened this summer, they'll try and pass new legislation that will restrict even further where you can carry, how you can carry, what you can carry, what "new training" is required to carry, disqualify you if you ever sent a mean tweet.... the list is long . And it's only common sense laws to protect the children, so why are you bellyaching?

While any new draconian laws that get signed will most assuredly get litigated with a lawsuit, unless this person called a "judge" issues this thing called an "injunction" those laws take effect until the lawsuits play out through the legal system. And that can take YEARS. Until it gets settled on way or the other, you as a law abiding firearm owner and possessor of a W&C permit have to comply or risk getting arrested, charged and possibly convicted.

If you've read this far, you're probably saying "Hey man, quit harshing my mellow... I just got the darn permit". Well, sorry Sweat Pea this is life in Maryland. Deal with it.

"Well jeez man, that sucks.... what can I do? I just invested a lot of time and money for this"

Damn, you just a hung a big fat curveball over the plate for me buddy.

You could start with looking up your State Senator and Representative for starters. Reach out to them before the election and find out where they stand on this. Respectfully let them know how you feel. Tell them that with all of the issues we have in this state, why are you focused on this? Join an 2A organization that will fight this, donate time/money and volunteer support. When the session starts, pay attention to the bills, submit testimony and show up for hearings.

Running out of steam but you get the drift....
    It's far easier than that, we need to get a group of volunteers together and canvas every trainer and get them to push MSI, and on occasion, make a KNOWLEDGEABLE MSI member available to talk about the organization to their class.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    It's far easier than that, we need to get a group of volunteers together and canvas every trainer and get them to push MSI, and on occasion, make a KNOWLEDGEABLE MSI member available to talk about the organization to their class.
    I'd take an entire W&C class offered by MSI over most of the trainers I've heard about/seen on here. I don't know if that's something the org would consider to be under their mission, or how the financial aspect would work. A class taught by an active and experienced MSI member would have fewer if any of the misinterpretations of laws that are being taught elsewhere. I don't know if the class could be held at AGC, if so maybe more of the course fee could go to the org and paying the trainer.

I don't know how this all works, so I apologize if it's a stupid idea. One of the reasons I haven't taken my class yet is that I don't want to pay for 16 hours of BS, whether it's too basic or they require 1k rounds loaded into 10rd mags.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Burke is an expert in Maryland and Federal firearms laws. Then read this thread attacking him, so it seems. I searched his posts to investigate and see in the very recent thread about Maryland and Federal gun laws and he is called out. At first he seems to stand firm. Then he kinda melts away. What do MSI members really know about him or any other board member? A padded resume?

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Since at least the 2013 session he has been a blow hard that uses 1000 words where 10 will suffice. He loves to hear himself talk and delves into minutiae that flat anesthetizes the audience, not good when trying to pound sense into legislators and limits the time other people have to raise their points. He often gets things half right or so convoluted that it hurts the argument. He is also pompous to a very annoying degree.

I've sat with Michael Burke at innumerable MSI tables at local gun shows until COVID. He has always been excellent at explaining the mission, highlighting the ongoing cases, and relating to those who expressed interest in joining the organisation.

My own knowledge of the labyrinth of infringement is weak, so I'm not able to address the nuances of the points brought against him. I have to say that I've always seen him as an indefatigable and potent advocate for MSI, and far more willing than many to give of his time to promote MSI and its cause.

Do overly verbose and pompous attitude spell it out well enough?

My understanding is that, misinformation and good intent aside, some folks don't care for his bedside manner. I don't know a ton of people, yet I know at least 5 people who said to me that they would never volunteer to man an MSI table again because of the manner in which he conducts himself. Just sayin'.

Yep, loathed his attitude within one minute of his first speech in 2013, it just got worse every time I had to listen to him spouting off through 2015. It seems he's still the same.

Bob A my brother, you know I love you. The guy gives a lot of his time to MSI which is great but if he turns off more people from volunteering than he encourages to jump in and help I'm not sure that's productive. I personally know a half dozen or more who will tell you that after working a booth with him at a gun show that they will never do it again. I've never done it but just my interactions with him have stopped me from volunteering at something if he's going to be involved.

Hell, I didn't even want to have to suffer through his testimony in Annapolis.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't know details about what happens within MSI.

I have been reading more frequently on MDS over the past 6 months and I honestly thought one of the MDS Members being discussed was an antigun infiltrator. My conclusion was based on how and what the person posts here on MDS. Until recently I had no idea the person was involved with MSI.

I not saying he is a bad person or is an antigunner, but his posts are off for MSI leadership. I don't see how that's good for the organization.

I guess having people put gun rights organizations in bad light is typical. Wayne LaPierre of the NRA proves my point.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I don't know details about what happens within MSI.

I have been reading more frequently on MDS over the past 6 months and I honestly thought one of the MDS Members being discussed was an antigun infiltrator. My conclusion was based on how and what the person posts here on MDS. Until recently I had no idea the person was involved with MSI.

I not saying he is a bad person or is an antigunner, but his posts are off for MSI leadership. I don't see how that's good for the organization.

I guess having people put gun rights organizations in bad light is typical. Wayne LaPierre of the NRA proves my point.
    Because it's always easier for keyboard commandos to post their opinions than actually have a conversation with an individual. A man would sit down with someone with whom he disagrees, maybe even over a beer, and deal with their concerns.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a question as a long time member. Is there something in the bylaws that state allows for removal if a board member?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Since at least the 2013 session he has been a blow hard that uses 1000 words where 10 will suffice. He loves to hear himself talk and delves into minutiae that flat anesthetizes the audience, not good when trying to pound sense into legislators and limits the time other people have to raise their points. He often gets things half right or so convoluted that it hurts the argument. He is also pompous to a very annoying degree.

Do overly verbose and pompous attitude spell it out well enough?

Yep, loathed his attitude within one minute of his first speech in 2013, it just got worse every time I had to listen to him spouting off through 2015. It seems he's still the same.

Hell, I didn't even want to have to suffer through his testimony in Annapolis.
    I was trying to be polite but you nailed it.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am sad to read the comments, I am so busy with life,business and family to be involved in MSI and meetings and personalities.
    I hope some common ground can be made and everyone can circle the wagons so the new fights in the MGA can be successful
    I will say I need to do more at MSI

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It’s not that easy when more than a few feel the same way

This not a single person issue. Never has been

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Cancelling people is too strong a word. Peoples opinions are just that opinions. I myself have no opinion either way on how it’s handled.

The 1A and all that you know

And let’s not get into a gender argument about what a man is. That’s a different thread lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    My previous point is that you shouldn't have had to read these comments. A man would have gone to the individual in question and had a sit down conversation rather than shaming in public like this. I spent most of my career having these sorts of conversations. Maybe just because people own firearms doesn't mean they actually know how to interact with other men in healthy ways.
    I have had far more healthy interactions with folks than unhealthy but sometimes stuff happens that is neither right or wrong.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm sure most of the gentlemen sharing their opinions wouldn't appreciate it if their perceived foibles were bandied about online.

Hmmm ... Maybe there's a connection between the public posts and the maturity of a man to speak face to face. I'll muse privately on that one.

Don’t even try it. I’m the king of innuendo around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom