• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I hear advertising on the radio and see it on TV for various causes but never anything regarding Maryland's rediculous gun laws. Running ads with statistics about murders and rapes dropping in the majority of the country as citizens are allowed to protect themselves by carrying a firearm should help our cause. I talk to people constantly about how restrictive and absurd MD's gun laws are and most are surprised to hear that MD is in a shrinking minority of states that DON'T allow open/concealed carry.

I find that some people are so brain washed they cannot be reasoned with but most end up shocked at the numbers. If you believe the crime statistics from the Governor's office in 2010 there were 426 murders, 1,228 rapes and 18,898 aggravated assaults. From John Lott's research murder drops by 10%, rape by 3% and aggravated assault by 6% when citizens can obtain a permit to carry. My ad's would let everyone know the blood is on Senator Frosh and Governor O'Malley's hands. Just in 2010 alone 42 people would still be alive if it weren't for them blocking our rights. 37 fewer women would be raped and 1,134 people wouldn't have had to fear for their lives while being assaulted.

Sorry for the rant but this burns me up. The NRA seems pretty well funded these days...does anyone know if they support ad campaigns in state issues like this?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We've done them before.

As with anything it comes down to two things.

1. Time to get them produced.
    2. Money to get them run.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    How much money are we talking?
    I don't have much free time, but would be willing to donate $$$

How about some billboards?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Production takes time and Talent. Ads usually cost a few thousand on small venues. MSI has grown considerably over the last few years but is still a volunteer operation with volunteered resources.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Production takes time and Talent. Ads usually cost a few thousand on small venues. MSI has grown considerably over the last few years but is still a volunteer operation with volunteered resources.

Quote us some hard numbers on the cost to produce and air an ad campaign. Then we can start a drive to fund it. I am willing to kick in $$. I am sure others would as well if we give them a target to hit (pun intended)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I would be in for a specific use donation also. It's worth a shot (yes... Intended)

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Quote us some hard numbers on the cost to produce and air an ad campaign. Then we can start a drive to fund it. I am willing to kick in $$. I am sure others would as well if we give them a target to hit (pun intended)

That is exactly what I was thinking. I keep hearing the ads on the radio about the soda bottle tax and how we should call our representatives to complain. I have no idea what these kind of ads cost but having some kind of target $ amount to reach will at least tell us if this is possible.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    As an NRA member, I feel abandoned. The don't seem to do much in the State of Maryland. Maybe I am wrong, maybe they feel Maryland is a lost cause.

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I'm an NRA member also and sent them a message asking if they help with state causes like this. I'm sure they have plent of national issues to focus on but MD is in a shrinking number of states that doesn't allow open/concealed carry so you'd think that would help the NRA focus on states like us. Not sure if I'll get a response but I'll post it if I do.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    As an NRA member, I feel abandoned. The don't seem to do much in the State of Maryland. Maybe I am wrong, maybe they feel Maryland is a lost cause.

I am hoping they feel we have enough cases pending in the High courts that the problem will resolve in our favor soon. Still I think we can make a difference if we can inform the masses and change some minds.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

From July 2010,
    Mike,

Yes, the type of advertising you are seeking would be qualified as Issue advertising on our station. You would need to meet production requirements such as sourcing all claims and proper identification of the group. In terms of planning rates, I can offer you ball park rates, however, I will need further information on the group before I can accept any orders. When the group is ready, we can relook at the rates.

Today Show- $1000

5p News- $1000

6pm news- $1200

Those rates were for one :30 second commercial on WBAL TV almost 2 years ago.

A note to all MSI folks, it took effort to get a ballpark price from the sales person without mentioning the cause or the group's name. At no point did MSI or gun rights get mentioned.

Production costs.... I am not an editor and it has been years since I shot a commercial. I have friends who have shot commercials and I know editors but time = $$$.

One camera guy, is also a firearms owner, but he has to pay for renting a camera. Renting a camera would start at $500/day, up to $1,000/day. Microphones and lighting gear would be extra. Not sure what talent would cost. One of the guys I worked with today has a complete Final Cut setup. He is a good sports editor but I haven't seen any of his commercial editing. His day rate would be close to the rate for renting a camera.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I know a sound guy who is very sympathetic to our cause if we are going to produce this ourselves. He has a degree in studio sound.

I wonder if starting with radio ads would be better than full blown TV commercials. I would think we could hit more people, especially during commuting hours. Let me know how I can help with this.

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I was originally thinking radio because it seems like it would be easier and less expensive to start with and move to TV if the response was large enough. Personally, I think we should coordinate this effort through MSI and the ad should conclude by telling people where to get more information and where to donate to help support the effort http://marylandshallissue.org/! The rise in donations to MSI along with the number of hits on their web site could be one measure of the ads success.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I know a sound guy who is very sympathetic to our cause if we are going to produce this ourselves. He has a degree in studio sound.

I wonder if starting with radio ads would be better than full blown TV commercials. I would think we could hit more people, especially during commuting hours. Let me know how I can help with this.

There is an MSI member who is a live audio tech and he also does studio recording.

The issues again are script writing, talent and their fees, and production costs. Also, the cost of the air time.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    From July 2010,

Those rates were for one :30 second commercial on WBAL TV almost 2 years ago.

A note to all MSI folks, it took effort to get a ballpark price from the sales person without mentioning the cause or the group's name. At no point did MSI or gun rights get mentioned.

Production costs.... I am not an editor and it has been years since I shot a commercial. I have friends who have shot commercials and I know editors but time = $$$.

One camera guy, is also a firearms owner, but he has to pay for renting a camera. Renting a camera would start at $500/day, up to $1,000/day. Microphones and lighting gear would be extra. Not sure what talent would cost. One of the guys I worked with today has a complete Final Cut setup. He is a good sports editor but I haven't seen any of his commercial editing. His day rate would be close to the rate for renting a camera.

So using your numbers figure about $5-$7K to shoot a video and record some radio spots? As you know the number of impressions is key in any campaign. So figure 5 impressions a day on TV and throw in 10-20 radio spots, and we are looking at $6-$8k a day (assuming we don't get any discount for running a large number of ads). I figure our best shot is to run on weekends and evening during the legislative session and just prior to the elections.

Lets say 20 days of running ads, we would need between $130-$160k. What do we have for MSI membership today, 8,000? That is $20/member. Hell I would kick in a $100 to cover some slackers and I am sure others would as well.

I am also sure we would get "free" coverage from the news outlets if the ads were engaging enough. We can also look at print and electronic campaigns as well.

"Set the Goal and they will Come"

Lets DO IT!

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Though you would think MD with MD being so close to a "lost cause" they would spend more time and money here to push things in the right direction and help us catch up with the rest of the nation on gun rights.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Though you would think MD with MD being so close to a "lost cause" they would spend more time and money here to push things in the right direction and help us catch up with the rest of the nation on gun rights.

MD is an example for the NRA to point to.

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011

If y'all need someone with experience on the face side of a camera, and a clear voice, who would do it completely free of charge, I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom