• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As sent to the Governor today (without the attachments).

Attachments

• Letter Keiffer Mitchell1.pdf
      227.3 KB · Views: 235

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Mark, is there a date when it can be vetoed, and not be over-ridden?

I apologize for my ignorance.

The day after Sine Die, if it is vetoed with even a day left in the session, the legislature can over ride the veto.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Mark, is there a date when it can be vetoed, and not be over-ridden?

I apologize for my ignorance.

No apology necessary. Veto timing is governed by Art. II section 17 of the MD Constitution. Basically, during the session, Hogan has 6 days (not counting a sunday) to veto or it becomes law without his signature. if Hogan vetoes a bill more than 6 (7 counting sundays) from the end of the Session, it can be overridden by the leg. in that session. If he is presented with an enrolled bill during the last six days session, then he has 30 days to veto. In years in which the session is followed that same year by an election, the legislature cannot override his veto because the election means there is a new General Assembly which cannot override a veto from a bill passed in the prior General Assembly. The grabbers would have to start over with a new bill. So, the reason they pushed 387 and 1021 through so fast was that they can override him this session.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Don't give up hope.

While I'm here - make sure to tell him to veto yourself:

https://governor.maryland.gov/contact-the-governor/

Sorry to be a Debbie downer but see below.

Maybe. But he vetoed HB 4 in 2020 in similar circumstances so he might do it again. The bigger concern is that a veto could be quickly overridden.

I was actually thinking about this. Maybe he will veto it but it doesn't really matter since it can and will be overridden.

You are an inspiration by continuing advocating for the 2A especially because it's very similar to running head first into a brick wall over and over again.

Maybe MD will get it after they decide to write a law that actually says what they think (all guns are outlawed unless you are a convicted, minority criminal from Baltimore) and the country gets to 45/50 con carry (MD, MA, NJ, NY and HI saying no). Maybe then they'll scratch their heads and wonder why blood isn't running in the streets of 45/50 states while ours runs redder and redder. Or actually more like it, maybe the populace will wake up from the predation and see why and vote for some change since we all know the dimocRats already know the answers and are only doing what they are told.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Maybe MD will get it after they decide to write a law that actually says what they think (all guns are outlawed unless you are a convicted, minority criminal from Baltimore) and the country gets to 45/50 con carry (MD, MA, NJ, NY and HI saying no). Maybe then they'll scratch their heads and wonder why blood isn't running in the streets of 45/50 states while ours runs redder and redder. Or actually more like it, maybe the populace will wake up from the predation and see why and vote for some change since we all know the dimocRats already know the answers and are only doing what they are told.

You're asking a lot from a population that is arguably no smarter than the people they elect.

Maryland's GA reflects the thoughts and aspirations of the 66% of the population that elected them. Whether they're naive, ill-informed, idealistic or just easily manipulated makes no difference to the outcome.

The public school system is working hard to teach the children what they're supposed to think, while denying them the opportunity to challenge any concept outside the official catechism, so one can expect, going forward, that the average Maryland voter will maintain the current status quo.

Everybody knows that guns are bad, that white people oppress other races, that capitalism is evil, that the rich must redress the inequity between earners and takers, and that voicing opposition to this common knowledge is heinous, and must not be permitted.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County

I was actually thinking about this. Maybe he will veto it but it doesn't really matter since it can and will be overridden.

You are an inspiration by continuing advocating for the 2A especially because it's very similar to running head first into a brick wall over and over again.

Food for thought. Worst case scenario with a Hogan veto, they override him. . They have many precious passed bills this session, including those entirely unrelated to guns, the map redistricting, and an upcoming election year to contend with all at once.

My understanding is they've already lost on the gerrymandered maps. There is a slim, entirely feasible chance with the amount of plates they are spinning, that something has to give - we've seen bills get shredded at the last moment on the cutting room floor, it's not unheard of.

Confidence breeds confidence. Get as many people as you can to call upon a veto from Hogan. Negativity can wait until the dust has settled, and at that point I welcome you to reply "I told you so".

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Food for thought. Worst case scenario with a Hogan veto, they override him. . They have many precious passed bills this session, including those entirely unrelated to guns, the map redistricting, and an upcoming election year to contend with all at once.

My understanding is they've already lost on the gerrymandered maps. There is a slim, entirely feasible chance with the amount of plates they are spinning, that something has to give - we've seen bills get shredded at the last moment on the cutting room floor, it's not unheard of.

Confidence breeds confidence. Get as many people as you can to call upon a veto from Hogan. Negativity can wait until the dust has settled, and at that point I welcome you to reply "I told you so".

This. There is a difference between realism and defeatism.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Thanks. We actually stopped a lot of BS bills this year, like the storage bill, the campus bill, and polling place bill. We could not stop completely 387/425 and 1021, but we managed to get changes that made those bills less odious. I’ve always been of the view that our best chances are in the courts and we are pressing hard there in Call and the HQL suits in federal court and the preemption suits in Montgomery and Anne Arundel Counties And with a good decision in Bruen this Spring there will be more to come.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What date was the bill actually presented to the governor? Doesn't happen instantly I know. Curious what his shit or get off the pot date is for a veto.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks. We actually stopped a lot of BS bills this year, like the storage bill, the campus bill, and polling place bill. We could not stop completely 387/425 and 1021, but we managed to get changes that made those bills less odious. I’ve always been of the view that our best chances are in the courts and we are pressing hard there in Call and the HQL suits in federal court and the preemption suits in Montgomery and Anne Arundel Counties And with a good decision in Bruen this Spring there will be more to come.

LOL... I think we have a new marketing tagline for the MGA:

"Maryland's General Assembly: Slightly less odious than we could be"..

Thanks for all that you do fighting the constant barrage of insanity. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom