• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Maryland is a small state surrounded by more free states.
    There are lots of reasons to visit them. Skiiing, camping, tourism such as Gettysburg and of course, shopping.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Maryland is a small state surrounded by more free states.
    There are lots of reasons to visit them. Skiiing, camping, tourism such as Gettysburg and of course, shopping.
    Post of the day.

I like to support the little guy which might mean I recommend shopping local. I will do so for gun purchases, fishing etc.

However, if it means being free vs being told what I can and cannot buy, I am going to the free places that are legal to do so.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The way I am reading this is they are saying MD FFL's cannot disassemble a standard capacity mag and sell it without blocking it. All that is necessary to comply with this is to include a part to block the mag so it is no longer a high capacity mag. If you are an FFL just never sell a standard capacity mag; always sell parts kits to make mags with capacity of 10 rounds or less.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The way I read it, magazines can be pinned or blocked.
    pin, block, plug. "readily" is a grey area without much guidance by the law, and they admit the ATF doesn't define it either. One of those things that ends up being easy to charge, hard to convict. I know some just drill a hole and insert a roll pin, and the MSgestapo is OK with that, so might be as simple as taking off the floorplate and dropping a piece of wooden dowel a couple inches long in the mag with 0 permanent modifications. That is what the DNR defines as "blocking" a shotgun tube magazine for waterfowl, and could easily be just as defensible in court as anything from adding a pin, or epoxying in a block. Of course it's stupid, and think it was mostly about "rebuild kits" where online shops would ship a a disassembled mag.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Most FFLs have been doing this all along. Why is this a new thing? Are they just making sure everyone knows again? The FFL will either only accept 10 round mags to be shipped in, no mags, or they will block the mags that came with the gun. This how all of my dealing have been in MD, mostly...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    pin, block, plug. "readily" is a grey area without much guidance by the law, and they admit the ATF doesn't define it either. One of those things that ends up being easy to charge, hard to convict. I know some just drill a hole and insert a roll pin, and the MSgestapo is OK with that, so might be as simple as taking off the floorplate and dropping a piece of wooden dowel a couple inches long in the mag with 0 permanent modifications. That is what the DNR defines as "blocking" a shotgun tube magazine for waterfowl, and could easily be just as defensible in court as anything from adding a pin, or epoxying in a block. Of course it's stupid, and think it was mostly about "rebuild kits" where online shops would ship a a disassembled mag.
    Good point. The rebuild kits were a loophole that they seem to be closing. The wooden dowel kind of is too. But popping the base plate off isn't that easy and requires some kind of tool so not really readily reversible. More like mostly kind of readily reversible.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, I think MSP is acting on FFL's disassembling mags and letting buyers buy them apart regardless of capacity of the parts.

None of the FFL's I deal with will be affected; all of mine are blocking mags that need it.

Loose dowls and broken popscile sticks are the most common things I see ... and they are common in every sense of the word.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This^^^
    Plus, to me, it's a wink and a nod by the state to have your FFL send to an out of state dealer of your choosing where one can pick them up. Maybe pay a nominal fee?
    Read this paragraph again(below)...

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 18-53-52 MSP advisory on high capacity magazines.png

If you have an out of state FFL who would cooperate with you, you can have your standard capacity mags sent to them and you pick them of outside of Merryland. It's a win-win.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Read this paragraph again(below)...

View attachment 466607

If you have an out of state FFL who would cooperate with you, you can have your standard capacity mags sent to them and you pick them of outside of Merryland. It's a win-win.
    I read it as they can sell to an "out of state individual" not an "in state individual".
    They've been saying that. There are grey areas such as buying online from "out of state stores" while you're technically "out of state" and have it sent to another "out of state" ffl.
    The way I understand that is, say you have an ffl in pa that you're cool with and happen to be working in VA one day. You could order from say, arms of america for your AK mags and have them sent to your PA ffl for pickup.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I read it as they can sell to an "out of state individual" not an "in state individual".
    They've been saying that. There are grey areas such as buying online from "out of state stores" while you're technically "out of state" and have it sent to another "out of state" ffl.
    The way I understand that is, say you have an ffl in pa that you're cool with and happen to be working in VA one day. You could order from say, arms of america for your AK mags and have them sent to your PA ffl for pickup.
    In many cases, you can order mags and have them sent anywhere in the country as long as the seller doesn't care what your billing address is. You don't need an FFL for that.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Nice how they're trying to say out of state mag sales to out of state individuals need to go through an out of state FFL.
    MARYLAND HAS NO AUTHORITY OVER TRANSACTIONS/SALES IN OTHER STATES.
    Exactly. Now MSP is now saying that parts kits can't be sold to (non exempt) Marylanders, I swear they are just making sh*t up now. Hey MSP, go eat a giant bag of dicks.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    How would you say SABOD ranks with EABOD so far as level of intense disgust is concerned?

Above or below? :innocent0

Exactly. Now MSP is now saying that parts kits can't be sold to (non exempt) Marylanders, I swear they are just making sh*t up now. Hey MSP, go eat a giant bag of dicks.
    In an unprecedented breach of etiquette, he went straight to GEAGBOD!

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom