• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    Just got my first AR15, its an S&W MP15 sport, havent gone to the range yet.
    As you can see from the pictures, I have another complete upper which I plan to use with the MP15. The problem is, I cant take out the FRONT takedown pin. There seems to be a small spring holding the takedown pin so that it wont slide out. There's also a small hole on the ejection side where you can see the spring.

Can anybody out there help me, I dont want to force the front takedown pin which might have some bad results. Help

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpg
      IMG_4468.jpg
      99 KB · Views: 244

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    Looking at the pin, there seems to be something protruding from the lower receiver toward the head of the pin. Just dont want to mess it up

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    Range report please...I was giving some thought to buying one of these as my first AR.

As soon as I get some time off, just had a new baby 2 weeks ago. I was looking for an AR for a long time and when I saw this in the Gunshop for $657 i grabbed it. Got some good reviews online.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The pin is designed not to be removed from the lower. It slides out enough to remove the upper. But its captured at the end of its travel so it isn't lost during fieldstripping.

Sep 6, 2011
    Garrett County, MD
    Can it be taken out without messing the rifle. It's definitely on the head of the pin. Any mp15 owners out there?

On all 3 of my AR's NEITHER pins come all of the way out, as in completely seperated from the lower. They do, however, slide through to the right side of the lower to allow removal of the upper. They have detent pins that ride in grooves in the takedown pins that keep them from coming all of the way out.

I'm not inherently familiar with the rifle you have, but I can only believe that they are set up similarly. Some rifles take a little "coaxing" to get the front pin out far enough to remove the upper.

Push out the rear pin first then pivot the upper on the front pin. Apply a bit of pressure to the left side of the front pin as you pivot the upper. A little WD40 or CLP helps too. Have fun juggling.

Enjoy your AR. I love mine. They ARE addictive.

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    On all 3 of my AR's NEITHER pins come all of the way out, as in completely seperated from the lower. They do, however, slide through to the right side of the lower to allow removal of the upper. They have detent pins that ride in grooves in the takedown pins that keep them from coming all of the way out.

I'm not inherently familiar with the rifle you have, but I can only believe that they are set up similarly. Some rifles take a little "coaxing" to get the front pin out far enough to remove the upper.

Push out the rear pin first then pivot the upper on the front pin. Apply a bit of pressure to the left side of the front pin as you pivot the upper. A little WD40 or CLP helps too. Have fun juggling.

Enjoy your AR. I love mine. They ARE addictive.

Yes the rear pin doesn't go out all the way and I expect the front one doesn't too . I just worried that the small spring holding onto the head of the Front takedown pin might ruin the lower receiver. I'm pushing the rear pin and it slides easily but the front doesn't

Sep 6, 2011
    Garrett County, MD
    Looking at the pin, there seems to be something protruding from the lower receiver toward the head of the pin. Just dont want to mess it up

If it's protruding from lower into the pivot pin, below the head of the pin, on the side where the pin's head is flattened, it's most likey the detent pin (unless S&W redesigned that area). It rides in a grooove in the pin like the one does in the rear pin.

The detent is spring loaded to push into the pivot pin and capture it so that it does not fall out when field stripping.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Congrats. Try tapping the pivot pin out with a plastic ball point pen, or if you are not worried about dings with a cleaning rod section. It is probably just firm because it is new. When you get it out, put a drop of oil or gun lube in the detent groove.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom