• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well, I had made a post about buying my first handgun as a VA resident, and was between a MPA30T (semi-auto M11/9) and a Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum.

I did a lot of research and found that .38 Super +P is nearly as good as .357 MAG out of a short <2" barrel. Then I got to handle an LCR side by side against a S&W 642. Night and day comparison in terms of quality, aesthetics, trigger feel, not to mention accessories for the J-frame.

Went home and found the all-black 442 and began lusting for one.... well I found one with NO lock at Engage. So of course I had to have it...

uploadfromtaptalk1374793396929.jpg

I say this is my first "legit" wheelgun because I bought a Nagant revolver, which I hated and sold within a week. My parents each have a S&W revolver, and I have been inside several, so I know how to work with them and tweak them properly if necessary. However this is a carry piece and I don't see doing anything but a detail strip now and then to de-lintify and relubricate it. I might change the grips, but I'll shoot it stock first.

Now I have something for EDC/BUG!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Picked it up today.

pa7y2u5u.jpg

I'll get a range report done ASAP. Also, I plan on getting some black cherry VZ grips for it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Congratulations!!!!! LOVE the J Frames!!!!! It was all I carried in Texas. Except sometimes in the winter I would carry my Glock 17.

When I was on R/R I took a Smith and Wesson revolver class at Montgomery Community College and cut down a 4in Model 64 to 3in and dovetailed a cut for a front sight.

Total disclaimer, the instructor recut the crown and milled the dovetail cut too. He helped me with the re-marking of the barrel too.

I did the timing work, filing and polishing of the barrel and disassembly/assembly.

It's still a work in progress since I had to come back to work. I want to convert it to a round butt when I am home next.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Nice! If its intended to be a carry gun, consider crimson trace's for it. They are a great addition to a J frame, I have a stainless J frame with them and love it.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Classic carry gun - I know several people who have one - excellent choice:thumbsup:

Black does look good - enjoy

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Um... Why did it take a month wait for a VA resident?

It didn't. I didn't have it shipped to VA until I got back from a work trip. It arrived at the FFL on Wednesday and I picked it up yesterday.

For some reason I was put on delay, but it got cleared up within 20 minutes. The dealer said he doesn't know why but many new VA residents that come ftom MD, NY, "and other anti-gun states" get put on delay when buying their first handgun here.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Whew, I thought there was something really wrong, there.

I got put on delay with my first handgun, too. It was even two years after a move here from CA. It hasn't happened since though. In most cases the delay isn't bad. It's fairly common and nothing to worry about.

Congrats.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Congrats on the Wheelgun!:thumbsup: I have a 642, I'm surprised how good I shoot with it. Need allot of trigger time to get use to the DA pull, what helped was polishing the rebound slide and a 14# rebound spring. I'm sure you can fix it up... :D

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I shot it today at the NRA range, a few lanes down from Todd K. of pistol-training.com!

I shot it alongside my friend's 4" S&W .500 he picked up a few weeks ago. We were shooting .500 Spl, and to be totally honest, my 442 had more felt recoil with Federal 158 gr. +P loads, and about equal with the Winchester 125 gr. +P loads. I was shooting about 1-1.5" up and to the right from my point of aim at 7 yds. I'm not used to such a heavy DAO pull, and I'll have to figure out a good grip too.

I'll probably throw a Wolff spring kit in there and polish things up a bit. So far, I'm very happy with it. I am glad I picked this over the Ruger LCR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom