• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Handgun purchase I originally wanted a glock 23, but after looking at it I feel a g17-19 is more appropriate as I don't like smaller sized HGs. I may CCW it one day in NC if I can get the permit. I don't own a glock and really want one so help...General purposes outside of being a country serving red blooded American are plinking and general home defense.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Isn't a Glock 19 a slightly smaller version of a Glock 23? Your post is a little confusing, are you asking us or telling us you are looking to get a Glock 17 or 19?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah OP, you are confused. The 23 aand19 are the same size, so saying you don't want the 23 because you don't like compacts but might want the 19 makes no sense. The 23 is .40 cal, the 19 9mm.

First thing you should decide is what caliber you want. Then size. If you want a full size in 9mm, then the 17 is what you want (unless you want the 34, which is the "competition" model). If you want .40 caliber and full sized, that is the Glock 22.

Its all spelled out pretty clearly on the website.

Personally, I like the g19 best, as I feel it fills all rolls reasonably well if not perfect at any of them.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The larger frames (G17 9mm; G22 .40; G21 .45acp) will be more accurate range guns. The middle sized frames (G19; G23) will be SLIGHTLY easier to conceal when carrying. I conceal a G22, so I'm content to have the larger weapon. There is no mid-frame .45acp unfortunatly.

I'd avoid the subcompact "baby Glocks" as they're not well suited to range play in my opinion. I'd also avoid models in .357sig or 10mm for your first Glock unless you already stock that round. I'd avoid the .380's because .380 sucks and I'd avoid .45GAP because it's a dead round.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Since you dislike smaller guns and it sounds like the ccw isn't something set in stone, get the G17. Put some trijicon night sights on it and you have a very solid home defense handgun.
    Before you go crazy trying to figure out the best home defense ammo, just buy some 124 grain Speer Gold Dots and be done with it.

Feb 28, 2013
    The larger frames (G17 9mm; G22 .40; G21 .45acp) will be more accurate range guns. The middle sized frames (G19; G23) will be SLIGHTLY easier to conceal when carrying. I conceal a G22, so I'm content to have the larger weapon. There is no mid-frame .45acp unfortunatly.

The G30 is a smaller .45.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Glock 23 is awesome, perfect fit, great at the range and spot on for home defense. 40 S&W is a fantastic round overall, effective ballistics, price point is competive, feels almost like the 9mm recoil wise and still a high capacity round in the double stack mag.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I'd avoid the subcompact "baby Glocks" as they're not well suited to range play in my opinion. I'd also avoid models in .357sig or 10mm for your first Glock unless you already stock that round. I'd avoid the .380's because .380 sucks and I'd avoid .45GAP because it's a dead round.

OP - ^^^^^This post is spot on.

I'm a pretty big boy, and I can conceal my old G21 easily, and it's BIG. (I really have to dress properly, and not make a lot of twisting movements while carrying this G21, or it will 'print' with a lot of different shirts, except for the baggiest 'camp shirt'.

I carry the G23 in .40, or the G19 in 9mm and they conceal so easily.
    They are physically the same pistol, size-wise.

The G26 (Baby Glock) is o.k. for concealing, but, you gain NOTHING compared to the G19 sized frame.
    To me, the G26 is a 'chunk' for a 'supposed' concealed carry pistol.

If you REALLY want a 9mm or .40 to conceal carry, look at the Smith & Wesson Shield pistols.
    Granted, you lose 'round counts', but, these pistols conceal so well and they're so light, you'll not think about round counts.

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Thanks guys gonna play with the just have to get my hands on them I am still not sure on caliber, but I'll check out the 17 and 22. Already have some .40 laying around. But the availability of 9mm is a plus.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    You can also buy conversion barrels for them. So say you have a Glock 20, and want to shoot 40 you can buy the conversion barrel and just swap back and forth between 10mm and 40.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Already have some .40 laying around. But the availability of 9mm is a plus.

During the worst of last year's ammo shortage, I could always get .40. There were times where I couldn't find 9mm at any price. Just a thought.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Both G19 and G23 are my favorite. Can't go wrong with either. Both are utilitarian and both can be both home defense and concealed carry.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I prefer 9mm over .40 personally as I shoot it faster and more accurately. I really like the 34/35 platform as I think it's a stupid fast gun, very easy to shoot, and incredibly accurate. While not a carry gun, it's an amazing range and home defense gun.

The advantage of the full size 9/40 Glocks is that they are slim for a full-sized model...many styles of carry makes them much easier to conceal because of this and there won't be nearly as much printing as with a thicker firearm. They also have a very light weight. It makes the full-sized models more practical for carry.

The 19/23 is a great carry size as you aren't going to lose the speed/accuracy of subcompacts and microcompacts, plus the longer barrel length means many types of ammo put down more consistent performance numbers. It is certainly a great range gun as well.

For a frequent range gun and home defense, the 17/22 is arguably the pick. Take the longer sight radius and higher capacity mags and put them to use! For more carry than range shooting, the 19/23 may be a better choice. I don't think you will regret either.

Both fit hands of most all sizes, both have the same general profile of extreme reliability, and both are the same level of upkeep.

If you aren't carrying now, my vote is the 17 (or even the 34). You will probably be a little more proficient with it than the compact sized. Chances are if you buy a 17 or a 22, you will buy the compact 19/23 at a later point as Glocks tend to come in pairs. Given they are very affordable as well, plus you can get consistency in operation across different sizes and calibers (huge advantage IMHO), having a few is never a bad thing.

Definitely add night sights. Don't hesitate to buy used.

rummy

Jan 11, 2008
    get the 357 and you can get drop in 40 cal and 9mm barrels for it.
    plus, 357 mags will run 40 cal rounds no problemo.

+1 on the "mid size" glocks being the best compromise, but truth be told, i can get similar groups with a g27 as i can with a g22, just a little harder to control in rapid fire...so i bought the mag/pinkie extender grip thing to fix that.

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7
    During the worst of last year's ammo shortage, I could always get .40. There were times where I couldn't find 9mm at any price. Just a thought.

Same in my area as well - 40 is always available :thumbsup:

+1 for the glock 23 Gen 4 - Gen4 spring makes a remarkable difference in felt recoil over my Gen 3 (for me) and make 40 more fun to shoot - great "do-it-all" gun.

I also went for a 23 instead of a 17/19 or 22 due to the fact that I can drop a Storm Lake conversion barrel in there and shoot .357sig or 9mm. That, and the glock 23 can take mags from 17, 19, 22, and its own 23. Consider a 23 - it will give you room to grow and you can still shoot 9mm.

4 mags, 3 calibers, can't go wrong :D

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I'd stick with the 23 if I were you, or the 19 if you want to go 9mm

bottom line is that most everyone who gets the 17 or 22 eventually opts for the slightly smaller 19 or 23

Seriously, the 19 and 23 are not small guns, and a .40 out of the 23 or a 9mm out of the 19 is not hard to deal with.

Really. A G23 is just about the closes to a 'do everything' handgun as you can get

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom